Tourism Panel Vows To Protect Island’S Image

Boater

How about a third option?

Keep a low profile. Do not listen to advice from people in bars. Find a busines where it is difficult for a competitor to make easy money and then stay true to yourself, your family, your friends, your customers and your suppliers.

I am neither astute nor rich, but I have had 12 great years on Samui so far.

Certainly - someone 'at the bottom of their game' will struggle to survive here. You cannot stand still in life. If you are not pushing forward and growing, then you are going backwards. There is no standing still - it does not exist.

Sorry - a tad offtopic.gif

I do believe you have sold yourself short.

You cannot say you are not astute then come out with a perfectly viable third option.

• 3 weeks later...

I really dislike everything about Samui. It is the last island in Thailand I would go for any amount of time. Even the Thais get scammed.

It stays alive thru tourist guidebook fairytales and initertia. Much like Chaing Mai.

A dozen better cheaper islands.

Then there is the Immigration hassles and overpriced living on the expat side. Not to mention all the petty mafia bs.

then why do you care what happens on this forum

Well said!

Tbh for me coming from somewhere like central London, the hotels and bars done really bother me. Give me that packed beach any day of the week over spending 4 hours travelling on the tube every day.

Why are there so many whingers on here? I wider what they did to vent before the Internet.

Koh Samui Tourism

The Island has reasonable infrastructure for tourism. A choice of hotels from 5* to backpacker and all in between. If you are canny and choose your location carefully there are places suitable for all types of tourist.

For the hedonist there is a choice of Full moon activities and if you choose to travel alone or in the herd you will find what you seek in Chaweng Beach, Soi Green Mango, Soi Reggae, Lamai or Bangrak. Mongers and party crowd easily pleased.

For the family who just want a relaxing beach holiday there are many options. I would recommend the quieter south coast around Ban Taling Ngam, or perhaps consider the oft forgotten beauty of the beaches in Maenam. Despite the industrial nature of the ring road there, the beaches from Maenam to Bang por really are a delight. Happy to also commend Cheong Mon beach despite the recent influx of Russians. Easy enough to avoid.

For those who tire of roasting on the sand, sightseeing and activities can break the monotony Even small resorts can point you at organized tours to the marine sanctuary, jungle safari, diving or sailing, fishing or island hopping. No shortage of temples. If you don’t like being shepherded or organized by others you can rent a small jeep for around Bt500 per day. No need to rent for more than 2 or 3 days to cover most areas of interest. My tip: Hire a mountain bike for a few days and explore the whole island at your leisure.

Getting around. The songtaew offers best value and if it's quiet, they will happily go off route for a small donation. Taxis have a bad rep so either book in advance and agree the price you are prepared to pay, or simply refuse to accept rip off prices. If you don't like the price offered, just walk away and go to the next taxi rank and negotiate there. Sooner or later you will find a reasonable cabbie. In your favour is the fact there are too many taxis and not enough stupid customers.

If food is your thing then Samui has a great list of options. Some of the best seafood around and you can slum it or pay top dollar, up to you. No shortage of western options for those who don’t enjoy spicy Thai dishes. You can get food of comparable western or Asian quality and fantastic surroundings, if you shop around and listen to local recommendations. You will probably pay the same or less than back home for imported steak, but then you would not be in a beautiful open air restaurant or dining on the beach.

Shopping. Bearing in mind that Samui is an Island and most goods have to be shipped in by sea or air, I have never considered it a shopping destination. Again plenty of choice for top end gold and gems if you know your stuff. Best bargain – badly spelled T shirts, and underwear for very small people. Haggle in the street markets for clothing and souvenirs, but don’t try it in the branded shops or Tesco Lotus.

Best place to go for advice. Try the small cafes or restaurants around mid morning. Here you will inevitable bump into expats, most of whom have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share and they will be happy to point you in the direction of a good bar/restaurant/beach/car hire. The expat community consists largely of English speakers from Europe and the former colonies. This includes the French and Germans. As Thai Visa shows, they are a veritable mine of information

All the above is aimed at tourists and no doubt the Bangkok Airways monopoly will add to package prices, but it does not have to be expensive to get to Samui. I have noticed an increase in the popularity of travel between Suratthani airport and Samui via Donsak. I travel regularly on the Donsak Samui ferry and the international flavor of travelers is quite marked throughout the seasons. If you have the time, I recommend the overnight train from Bangkok to Phunphin. Book early if you want a private cabin. A songtaew from Phunphin to Suratthani, and a coach from Surat to Donsak.

Sent by Greek runner with a hand written message in a cleft stick.

• Like 1

I am back in SE Queensland for a while and have to say that i am getting terribly 'homesick' for Samui.

Since i have been here i have met many who have been to Thailand and Samui for holidays, and have to be honest when i say that they ALL love Samui and all have ambitions to return. This does not just concern youngsters who have had an exciting time at the Full Moon parties, but also older people who love the tranquil beaches and trips to the National Marine Park. There are so many unspoilt beaches around the island, but i guess i am a bit biased to my home on Maenam Beach.

For those who use the ferry to Don Sak and Suratthani Airport ( as i do) it can be quite an adventure.

God bless life on Samui.

I agree with most of what you say oldsailor but the Suratthani Airport, or even a new one at Donsak is no way to treat 5* tourists. The convoluted process, just handling baggage is a nightmare for holidaymakers. Arrive at Nathon struggle with bags and wait for the fight between your resort minibus and taxi drivers to see which one can navigate the one way system quickest. Even the fast boats just pile luggage on the foredeck.

If they insist on increasing tourism, the only way is to extend the number and frequency of flights via Koh Samui airport. I am of the view that the Island has reached a tipping point. Any new build will create more construction work/traffic. It will create more jobs but that means more infrastructure to support them. On my recent visits, the off peak travel times around the Island have increased. More tourists means more demand for transport. Unfortunately there are already too many taxis and minibuses clogging up the newly surfaced roads. They are trying to drive faster and causing more accidents which is not good for tourism.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my little corner of Samui. I just think there is no system in place to prevent greed from spoiling it in the not so long run.

I guess it's ok for retired expats like myself with time to burn, but I can't see it bringing much repeat tourist business.

Five star tourists do not go to Surat.

Samui direct or private Jet.

I was making a point about Samui authorities targeting five star or upmarket tourists and the fact that Donsak or Koh Phangan airports would not make any impact on this aim, nor would it protect the Island's image as a destination for tourists of any group.

Any further development of the Island will undermine tourism in the long term. The recent improvement to roads and drainage was essential to maintain the present infrastructure at an acceptable level. Tourism authorities seem to think it is a licence to build more hotels and resorts.

If development is allowed to continue unchecked, the whole island will end up like Chaweng beach.

Five star tourists do not go to Surat.

Samui direct or private Jet.

I was making a point about Samui authorities targeting five star or upmarket tourists and the fact that Donsak or Koh Phangan airports would not make any impact on this aim, nor would it protect the Island's image as a destination for tourists of any group.

Any further development of the Island will undermine tourism in the long term. The recent improvement to roads and drainage was essential to maintain the present infrastructure at an acceptable level. Tourism authorities seem to think it is a licence to build more hotels and resorts.

If development is allowed to continue unchecked, the whole island will end up like Chaweng beach.

Maybe they figure it will free up seats on BKK-USM. If the price to Donsak was a couple of thousand cheaper e/w and included a fast boat then I think people would use it.