What Would I Ask For? Anyone Know This Answer?

billyboy

I have a tooth missing at the front,it went bad and the dentist pulled it out.

When i was in Thailand i got a one tooth denture thing to go in my mouth ,i think they call it a denture plate,cheap at 700 baht,but i dont like wearing it.I want a tooth put in there permanently,is there such a thing in dentistry,and what do i ask for? I thought they call it a crown but then someone told me a crown goes over a tooth,what about dentl implant? I asked the dentist in thailand and he tells me there is no such thing and made my dental one tooth plate but im sure there is such a procedure of having a tooth in there all the time.

All i want is a tooth to go in the gum and stay there.I probaly will have to go to a dental hospital such as bumrungrad but i need to know what they call this operation.I want the tooth to stay in there permanently andnot take it out.Anyone know the answer?

There are two ways that I know about. A permanent bridge where you cap the two adjoining teeth to hold your new tooth. This is the normal method used for many years. It works finn for most people I believe (I have one) but depends on the attaching teeth to be strong enough to hold it.

The new dental implant is probably the best choice if it can be done (has to have good jaw bone I believe) and is rather expensive at 40-80k or more.

what about dentl implant? I asked the dentist in thailand and he tells me there is no such thing

That's strange because the technique (implant) has been around for about 20 years. Several clinics in Thailand advertise it and it is expensive. I lost one of my front teeth when I was young and had a partial removable plate put in. Later when I went for orthodontia I was fitted with what he called a "Maryland bridge". He grinds the two adjacent teeth of the missing one then takes an impression. A bridge is made then glued permanently in place to the adjacent teeth. It works really well and no more worries about something falling out. :o

As lopburi3 described, go for the bridge, as long as the two other teeth are healthy and strong enough.

The implant can be done by first putting a 'nail' in your bone and than fitting a permanent artificial tooth on it. This requires strong and wide enough bone. It could happen that the bone rejects the implant.

Change your dentsit, both methods are done for years and years.

I would avoid any dentist who claimed that he doesn't know what an implant is. I have both a bridge and a couple implants. Not surprisingly, there are plusses and minuses to them both. A bridge is cheaper, and considerably less time consuming. An implant is substantially more expensive, and takes a long time to do - once the post is installed (I have the screw-in, as compared to push-in, posts), you can't have the "tooth" installed until the bone grows completely around the implant, and is secure. This takes about a year. On the positive side, an implant looks and feels exactly like a tooth. My suggestion: for a tooth in front, go with an miplant. For a tooth on the side, go with the bridge.

a lot depends on where in your mouth the missing tooth is.

for a missing upper front tooth , the best solution , providing that the bone structure in the area is suitable , would be an implant , which as has been described , involves implanting a metal "post" to which is later attached a properly colour and morphologically matched prosthetic replacement for the missing tooth.

implants are expensive , and if the procedure is not carried out properly , will fail.

many high street dental clinics offer implant treatment , but i would question the skill and experience of the dentist in many of these clinics. implants are big business these days and the companies that make the titanium implant pins and associated instruments are all fighting for a share of the market.

they offer courses for the dentist to learn the techniques over a weekend , hand out impressive looking certificates to hang on the surgery wall and on monday morning the dentist is hard selling his new found skills , by tuesday he is probably doing his first case and dreaming of his new car.

dentistry is pretty much unregulated in thailand , and if you are going to get an implant , then choose your surgeon carefully. go on recommendation if possible or go to the dental departments at one of the recognised big international hospitals , or the dental hospital on sukhumvit soi 49 , near samitivej hospital.

fixed bridges are another very good way of replacing missing teeth , and depending on the condition of the tooth or teeth adjacent to the gap , a fixed bridge can be done quickly and non - invasively (with very little drilling ), and rather than covering the adjacent teeth with porcelain , the bridge is attached to the back of the adjacent tooth or teeth with very thin metal wings with state of the art dental "superglue" .

for a front lateral incisor , attachment to only one other tooth is sufficient. fixed bridges are very satisfactory , a lot cheaper that an implant , and possibly , depending on your dental condition , could be a clinically better option.

bridges in the lower incisor area are difficult to construct well.

either way , get rid of the removable plate , it will damage the gums on the adjacent teeth over a period of time. partial dentures are terrible things and should be avoided if at all possible , although they are sometimes necessary as a temporary measure.

diagnostic skill is all important in determining which is the best option for your dentition , and operator skill and experience is important to ensure a good and long lasting clinical result.

dont always be seduced by a lower price.

when you have decided which dentist to consult , tell him you are not happy with the removable plate and what other options are available for you.

ask him to go through the indications and contra indications for each option.

for f#cks sake , dont ask him for an implant straight away , cos he will just say yes , whether its right for your case or not. this is thailand. ask him for all the options.

if you go for a bridge , make sure that the tooth or teeth that will support the bridge are x-rayed and the condition of the nerve checked before any treatment starts , if the supporting teeth have fillings or any other restorations in them , have them removed and re done before any bridge preparation work starts.

Edited by taxexile