Cost Per Sq Mtr For Dropped [Or Hung] Ceiling?

jaideeguy

Our guest house is suddenly infested with termites eating the woven/pressed bamboo and wood frame holding it up plus the trim work, so I'm looking at alternatives to wood for ceiling. our main house has gypsum board panels [approx 1 mt X 1/2 mt] hanging by wire from the steel framework above.

A few questions re this project.......

1] approximate cost per sq mt for this kind of ceiling system??

2] can use other better insulation than the Gypsum board?? lighter weight and better insulation....could maybe glue on that foil covered flexible foam insulation?? or maybe they make some ready made panels??

3] what kind of company does the installation and sells the panels?? [location Chiang Mai]

lesson learned.....don't use wood in house in Thailand

thanks in advance for any info......

I would not recommend Sheetrock because it has a paper backing and your termites will munch on that too. I just hung a shera board ceiling and the labor was about 300 baht per sq. meter. Use the thinnest sheet, which is 4 mm. Downside: screws can't be countersunk, so the heads will protrude a bit. A t-bar frame isn't strong enough to support shera; you'll need to use c-channel studs.

And you can use wood in some situations, as long as it's (1) hardwood, (2) exposed and (3) thoroughly sealed on all sides with multiple coats of polyurethane. But for a ceiling? I wouldn't risk it unless every single support wall between the ground and ceiling is visible both inside and out, so that regular inspections for termite mud tubes can be done.

Edited by attrayant

I would not recommend Sheetrock because it has a paper backing and your termites will munch on that too. I just hung a shera board ceiling and the labor was about 300 baht per sq. meter. Use the thinnest sheet, which is 4 mm. Downside: screws can't be countersunk, so the heads will protrude a bit. A t-bar frame isn't strong enough to support shera; you'll need to use c-channel studs.

And you can use wood in some situations, as long as it's (1) hardwood, (2) exposed and (3) thoroughly sealed on all sides with multiple coats of polyurethane. But for a ceiling? I wouldn't risk it unless every single support wall between the ground and ceiling is visible both inside and out, so that regular inspections for termite mud tubes can be done.

300 m2?? blimey did that include materials, I would have though 90bahtm2 labour only wa s sufficient

I could be misremembering, but 300 seems reasonable to me. In the states, the same job would require two workers at $15/hr for at least 5 days. That's $1,200 USD just for labor. My room here is 25 sq meters so it ended up costing around 7,500 baht for the job, or about $250 USD.

In Issan i have just had a room T barred and the cost was 80 baht sq met for the labor.... bought the materials myself for a 42 sq mete room total cost for materials was 3.600 baht

Labor 3360 baht

Materials 3.600 baht

2 days comfortable

Have had a lot of work done recently and have been very lucky finding a good foreman who is switched on has had good experience working 8 years abroad,his tiling was excellent and at only 60 baht sq met!!

the roofing was 100 baht a sq met.

Edited by MrRed

I could be misremembering, but 300 seems reasonable to me. In the states, the same job would require two workers at $15/hr for at least 5 days. That's $1,200 USD just for labor. My room here is 25 sq meters so it ended up costing around 7,500 baht for the job, or about $250 USD.

I think he's talking about the work taking place in Thailand,if so your quotes from the USA

Are irrelevant,think Thai prices otherwise you are asking to be ripped off.