Recommending Walamun Restaurant

LawrenceChee

Had lunch here yesterday and it's a great eatery ! it's in the old city and feature French bistro style decor with very clean lines and good indoor and outdoor seating ...very pleasing to the eye as you enjoy the food

has a website www.walamun.com

I would highly recommend it ...the menu is all Thai and they feature dishes that are loved by the royal family and not easiest to make. They have the usual Thai fav as well but it's other dishes in there u don't see often that stands out.

The best part is the dishes are very affordable at 120-150baht each. Almost street cafe prices but the decor, quality and service outweighs those

They won a tatlers award for bet restaurant and it's easy to see why.

I know there will be some Mappies that will provide you the actual address and co-ordinates

Enjoy !

I know there will be some Mappies that will provide you the actual address and co-ordinates

Sensibly ducked out of the directions this time.... you realised we dont all have a gold medal in orienteering.

can you give some idea then to the "mappies"

The best part is the dishes are very affordable at 120-150baht each. Almost street cafe prices but the decor, quality and service outweighs those

sorry but 120-150bt for a lunch box is mega expensive in my eyes....can take a pick of any of the river side restaurants for less than that.

sorry but 120-150bt for a lunch box is mega expensive in my eyes....can take a pick of any of the river side restaurants for less than that.

I think you've got the name wrong and I agree, 120-150 for each dish at lunch is at the top end of the spectrum. Dishes for dinner at 120-150 each with a group of people is one thing but for one person having lunch is not 'very affordable'.

I suggest you guys start a new forum topic called 30-50baht best dish restaurant ...so that you guys have a good time sharing and boasting the best local street stalls...I recommend lam Duan kao soy as that is my fav stall at 30 baht a bowl with the best moo satay also at 30 baht to start it off

I'm not recommending or posting the cheapest restaurant as I have no interest in that....so sorry to disappoint ! I hate to be disrespectful ...zzzzzz ...there are more groups of people in Chiang Mai than 30baht dishes retirees sorry....

I am looking for nice decor places with great food that will not break the bank ...this restaurant falls into that category...the food is fantastic and u can get some Thai food that is not easily found in most Thai restaurants ...the woo sen dried shrimp is delicious cooked and painstaking prepared ..worth the 150baht in my opinion

Enjoy !

• Like 1

If its the same Wanlamun it could be what was known as W by Wanlamun. Used to be well known for desserts. This one is not in the old city its on ChangMoi Rd. Could be here http://maps.google.c...004495&t=m&z=16

Website not ready

http://www.wanlamun.com/

Write up on a foodie's blog http://cm-eat.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/w-for-wanlamun-restaurant-patisserie.html

Edited by LemanRus

W for Wanlamun has some good and some excellent French pastries - depending on the selection - and especially for Chiang Mai. Their Thai food is good too, but I do not find it much better than some of the cheapo Thai places that I go to. However, I am not crazy about Thai food and some Thai people say that it is exeptional, so worth a try. IMO. the coffee and deserts are a sure thing.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I suggest you guys start a new forum topic called 30-50baht best dish restaurant ...so that you guys have a good time sharing and boasting the best local street stalls...I recommend lam Duan kao soy as that is my fav stall at 30 baht a bowl with the best moo satay also at 30 baht to start it off

I'm not recommending or posting the cheapest restaurant as I have no interest in that....so sorry to disappoint ! I hate to be disrespectful ...zzzzzz ...there are more groups of people in Chiang Mai than 30baht dishes retirees sorry....

I am looking for nice decor places with great food that will not break the bank ...this restaurant falls into that category...the food is fantastic and u can get some Thai food that is not easily found in most Thai restaurants ...the woo sen dried shrimp is delicious cooked and painstaking prepared ..worth the 150baht in my opinion

Enjoy

I for one enjoy reading your food posts. I'm surprised no one has started a post about who does the best steamed rice in CM Because for 30 - 35 bahts that is basically what you are getting.

I used this place a lot when living on that side of town, personally I am not into Thai food but my wife said it is very good food, I normally have a starter and a coffee and cake excellent value!

You get what you pay for, according to the wife they seem to use fresh good quality ingredients, one dish in particular (can't recall name) is native to Bangkok which is apparently difficult to prepare she said that they had it just right!

As for eatting the 30 baht road side stuff, I leave that to backpackers and those living on a shoe string.

I think it's a terrific restaurant. Their Bangkok specialties are great and a lot of the pastries and other desserts as well. For the quality you get, the food is well worth it. I haven't eaten there in a while but now that I've been reminded I will go back.

I believe these are the correct coordinates:

18.789642576019364, 98.99616122245789

If you are heading east on Chiang Mai Road, it's the soi on the right (south side) that comes immediately after the Thai Military Bank. Once you're on that soi, it's maybe 10 or 20 meters down on the left (east) sside.

• Like 1

Great to see the foodies come out in support on great quality food....

CM is just that ... a balance of great street stalls, cafes, hotel buffets and one of the many reasons why I love this place

Cheapest is not always delicious, most expensive does not guarantee a great review ...value for money every group of foodie can see the sense in that ....And splurge once in a while ...

Eating is a great pleasure in life ...the experiences uplift us all !

Where else in the world can I find sheep grazing grass next to a Khao Mun Kai stall (along hang dong) with a perfectly clean toilet for 35 baht a plate ...only in CM !

This does sound interesting, the pla chon curry in the photo blog looks good, I have a hard time finding good central and southern style food in CM, lots of good "rustic" and northern fare here. The sophisicated Bkk style is worth paying a bit more for. The location is off Chang moi rd. , not Chiang mai as stated by BisB.

This does sound interesting, the pla chon curry in the photo blog looks good, I have a hard time finding good central and southern style food in CM, lots of good "rustic" and northern fare here. The sophisicated Bkk style is worth paying a bit more for. The location is off Chang moi rd. , not Chiang mai as stated by BisB.

Oops. I'm pretty sure the GPS coordinates are correct.

Yes - coordinates are right on thanks.

Seems like half the directions you need a special global locator (GPS I think) to find them and most of the maps are in Thai. Which is not always that big of a difficulty if you had a reference point to start from. It is a big city and just showing a local map does not help if you don't have a starting point. Or even a hint. You could say which side of the old city and that would narrow it down a lot.

Yes - coordinates are right on thanks.

Seems like half the directions you need a special global locator (GPS I think) to find them and most of the maps are in Thai. Which is not always that big of a difficulty if you had a reference point to start from. It is a big city and just showing a local map does not help if you don't have a starting point. Or even a hint. You could say which side of the old city and that would narrow it down a lot.

Google Maps gives you all you want and more.

You can switch languages (at least I can).

Enlarge the view or reduce it.

Get images of the street scene

Get Directions From ... To http://goo.gl/maps/s25RM (Though you may have better local knowledge for a shorter route)

Calculates distance.

Makes the coffee.......

Disclaimer: I have a financial interest in the aforesaid company - NOT

Edited by LemanRus

Stopped going there after they changed the menu, taking off the dishes I liked, The rissotto and the grilled chicken.

Usually had to walk into the AC restaurant and order the pastries before even looking at the menu, as there was not a great deal of choice left by the end of the meal later on that evening.

Stopped going there after they changed the menu, taking off the dishes I liked, The rissotto and the grilled chicken.

Usually had to walk into the AC restaurant and order the pastries before even looking at the menu, as there was not a great deal of choice left by the end of the meal later on that evening.

It sounds like they took at least some of their fusion dishes off the menu. For my taste, that was the least successful portion of their menu. As for running out of pastries..a lot of the pastries they make are quite delicate and wouldn't hold up well until the next day. So their options are either to run out ofthings or throw a lot out at the end of the evening. If they choose the latter course, they would have to raise the price of their pastries to take this expense into account.

Sensibly ducked out of the directions this time.... you realised we dont all have a gold medal in orienteering.

can you give some idea then to the "mappies"

I'm surprised you didn't accuse him of being affiliated with the restaurant! 55555 wai.gif

I've been eating at this place for a very long time and it really is delicious !

Edited by onthedarkside
Thai speak removed