Omkai Province, Sop Khong - How Do I Get There From Chiang Mai?

davofromoz

i am helping with a charity in sop khong in omkai province about 275 km south of chiang mai.

i dont know if there is any air or train services down there or if only car transport is only option.

does anyone know the area and is it safe to drive there?

is the roads affected by floods?

thanks

david

Where you actually want to get to is Amphur Omkoi in Chiangmai province and Tambon Sop Kong. Your only way there is by road. Provincial bus to Hot, then a local bus to Omkoi. After that it's down to local transport, and I mean local! Maybe a songtaew or tuk tuk. I would suggest you have your contact meet you in Omkoi as the main road ends in forest at Mae Thun Noi not far outside of Omkoi. You are truely in the middle of nowhere down there, but there is a bush hospital in Omkoirolleyes.gif

• Like 1

many thanks, thats what i thought you might say. haha

sounds like an 8 hour or all day trip.

hope its clear of flooding. will be in november when i have to go.

It should be nice and dry and cool by then. Chiangmai to Hot about 2 hours, then local bus to Omkoi maybe another 2 hours as pretty slow. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. Enjoy your tripsmile.png

• Like 1

Where you actually want to get to is Amphur Omkoi in Chiangmai province and Tambon Sop Kong. Your only way there is by road. Provincial bus to Hot, then a local bus to Omkoi. After that it's down to local transport, and I mean local! Maybe a songtaew or tuk tuk. I would suggest you have your contact meet you in Omkoi as the main road ends in forest at Mae Thun Noi not far outside of Omkoi. You are truely in the middle of nowhere down there, but there is a bush hospital in Omkoirolleyes.gif

There is actually a bus 100 m West from Chiang Mai Gate that goes directly to Om Koi. It's the same place were the busses start to Hot and Doi Tao (blue colour). Just make sure it says Om Koi on the bus, they have the same colour. smile.png

• Like 1

Thanks so much, thats a great help. I hope its not an 8 hr trip as its only 275 km but I guess its slow driving there.

I only worry that it will not be easy way to go there (I mean from Omkoi to Sop Klong), good that you will be there in November.

There are 2 bus (blue color as Semper post) lines, one line is Chiang Mai - Hot - Doi Tao and another one is Chiang Mai - Omkoi.

Chiang Mai - Hot - Doi Tao line ; the bus leave every 20 minutes (05:00-18:00 o'clock) from Chang Phuak bus station and will pass Chiang Mai gate, make sure that you do not take this line.

Chiang Mai - Omkoi line have only 2 trips per day, at 07:50 and 13:30 (leaving time from Chang Phuak bus station), pass Chiang Mai gate at 08:20 and 14:00 o'clock, fare 135 baht, take time 4 arrive to Omkoi hours (Chiang Mai - Hot about 2 hours, Hot - Omkoi also take time 2 hours).

There is a van transport from Chiang Mai to Omkoi - Mae Tuen at 05:00 - 05:15 o'clock (5 trips per day and only early in the morning ), fare 170 baht .

From Omkoi to Sop Klong approx. 78-80 km. that can take you 3-5 hours on the way, depend on how bad of the road, and try to check first to be sure that you do not need 4x4 truck to go there.

http://www.4x4.in.th/webboardpic/00192.html

• Like 1

Thanks cmbe, thats a great help. I think I might pay for Van or 4wd as it will be quicker.

Come back to correct my error info. about distance from Omkoi to Sop Khong is approx. 31.6 km.( google map)not 78-80 km.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Omkoi+Chiang+Mai+Thailand&daddr=Sop+Khong+Omkoi+Chiang+Mai+Thailand&hl=en&sll=17.737155,98.30382&sspn=0.174292,0.220757&geocode=FUCbDwEdy_TcBSlVOAzDMJDcMDEAb4r6xUYDAw%3BFZYPDgEdSgbbBSmNA0suTJfcMDFglIv6xUYDBA&t=h&mra=ls&z=12