Import Goods Into Thailand

prophet01

We have a number of businesses here in Patong including a shop selling Thai handcrafted products, obviously sourced within Thailand.

Following a recent trip I have an idea to import a wood tableware product for the shop from Pakistan and have been quoted for 500 units 215Bt per unit (c & f) to Phuket International Airport.

Having no experience of importing I'm finding it virtually impossible to obtain online formal procedures for importing. The Department of Foreign Trade site (English version) is a waste of time.

I did manage to find the Integrated Tariff Database which came up with an import duty of 40% but The Duty Calculator Blog, featured on another thread came up with a rate for the same article code of 20%.

Does anyone know of a good source for guidance or has anyone any recent experience importing this quantity of relatively small items who could offer some welcome advice?

Edited by prophet01

You need a registered company, which also needs to be registered with VAT. You can then register this company as an importer/exporter with Thai customs' "paperless" system.

That said, private people can also be registered and if your company is a small one, you might consider this route.

As for the import duties, which HS code did you use? You can also send me the product description and preferably a picture by PM, and I will check the HS code and duty percentage for you.

Import duty ceiling for 4419.000 is 40% of the CIF price, reduced to 30% by Section 12. This is further reduced to 20% for imports from WHO member countries. This is according to Thai Customs website, so no guarantees.

Don't forget that there is 7% VAT on CIF price + import duty.

You will also pay import clearance and handling, as well as airport terminal charges, document fees, and storage. Send me PM for more details, as I would have to ask for more details about your goods.