Apple Mint, Pineapple Mint...where To Find?

SleepyLaze

Just a few days before leaving Brisbane, I came across some Apple Mint, Pineapple Mint, and Chocolate Mint at a local farming event. Absolutely loved them but unfortunately did not have any luck trying to locate the seeds. I have googled up to see if there's any shop selling them in Australia/Japan/ship oversea, and I only found one e-bay shop selling some Apple Mint seeds from China; other shops either sell the plant or refuse to ship oversea :(

This may be a little silly to ask, considering that I'm just too stubborn to let go of my hope; is there any place in Thailand that sells these mints?

I think some of these mints need to be made from stem cutting or root cuttings... If mints cross pollinates you often end up with lousy tasting mint! Therefore pollination needs to be very controlled.... to become true to type of mint ....

Recently "out of the blue" my Thai neighbours found some true spearmint and peppermint... but won't reveal the source of the plants! But in growing it now for a couple of months, the spearmint is very slow to grow... and the peppermint spreads very quickly... (here on Samui) I suspect in northern areas of Thailand, it would grow better. (Cooler nights)....

Importing plants may require phyto-sanitory certificates....from country of origin..... seed usually has no restriction... if you can find a source... sorry I don't know!

Not sure if that helps or not! smile.png

"Wow, spearmint and peppermint out of the blue? That's pretty awesome. "

I think so too,smile.png but the neighbours are not convinced they is a potential there to pot up and sell it.... I keep nattering at them, that there is a market out there !!!

Personally i think the spearmint would be more in demand,...(for mint sauce etc) ..... it's too bad it seems to grow so slowly here ... I really don't understand why it would be that much different than the peppermint, in growth... blink.png

One local restaurant has used some spearmint for "Sunday dinner" to serve with lamb. thumbsup.gif

Perhaps in a few months may have enough to sell, providing it survives the rainy season... ????