Leaving All My Worldly Goods To A Thai Lady

conquent

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, bit of advice, make sure when buying or renting a condo make sure that you go for a ground floor unit.

Why?

So he doesn't absent mindedly walk off the balcony......

edit I see subM beat me to it

Edited by topt
  • Like 1

I think a UK will would cover all property and monies in the UK, but you'd need a Thai will to cover the same for here.

Thank you. I just need to find a lucky lady to leave it all too.

As far as I know a UK will should cover everything but can get complicated if you have property. If not then there should be no need for a second will. Just make sure your executors know where to find your assets.

It's the old joke. When someone leaves all their worldly possessions...it's usually followed by a newspaper article about jumping from the balcony of their condo or other mysterious circumstances.

I would be particular in selecting the person I would leave all my worldly possessions too if you understand what I mean.

My friend, I hope you enjoy Christmas this year. I dont think I will be so lucky. If some poor Thai Girl can make me feel happy then she is welcome to the lot. I have no living relatives and my friends, well you know how it is when you get older.

I think a UK will would cover all property and monies in the UK, but you'd need a Thai will to cover the same for here.

Thank you. I just need to find a lucky lady to leave it all too.

As far as I know a UK will should cover everything but can get complicated if you have property. If not then there should be no need for a second will. Just make sure your executors know where to find your assets.

Thank you

It's the old joke. When someone leaves all their worldly possessions...it's usually followed by a newspaper article about jumping from the balcony of their condo or other death under other mysterious circumstances.

I would be particular in selecting the person I would leave all my worldly possessions to if you understand what I mean. Like leaving everything to your child, parents, brothers, sisters...that's one thing. Not having met your future partner and already deciding to leave all your worldly possessions to the unknown future person sounds kind of dangerous.

If you read the OP's other post you would see that he has a terminal illness, so jokes about jumping off balconies may be in poor taste.

• Like 2

Good advice sub,

What the eye does'nt see the heart does'nt need.

Please don't advertise you intentions to a woman that you will give her sabbai on the proviso that your dead.

You may want to create a clause in your will issuing your estate to charity should you die under certain circumstances.

• Like 1

It's the old joke. When someone leaves all their worldly possessions...it's usually followed by a newspaper article about jumping from the balcony of their condo or other death under other mysterious circumstances.

I would be particular in selecting the person I would leave all my worldly possessions to if you understand what I mean. Like leaving everything to your child, parents, brothers, sisters...that's one thing. Not having met your future partner and already deciding to leave all your worldly possessions to the unknown future person sounds kind of dangerous.

If you read the OP's other post you would see that he has a terminal illness, so jokes about jumping off balconies may be in poor taste.

I take no offense really. To be honest I didnt think I would get a reply, so thank to those that did. I intend to make the most of what time I have left.

I did'nt read of terminal illness in the OP.

My friend, I am truly sorry to hear that. I always thought that if one must go, then they should try and go the happiest they can. So do what makes you happy, and try to go with a smile on your face. But as an other possibility, there are plenty of orphanages in Thailand too that could use help, and you would could possibly make more than one person happy.

OP one more thing: I was unaware of the previous post on terminal illness (as I am sure Damo and Topt were unaware of too). I apologize if I was being insensitive. It's just not what we normally hear when someone says they plan on leaving everything to someone they have yet to meet yet.

Edited by submaniac
  • Like 2

It's the old joke. When someone leaves all their worldly possessions...it's usually followed by a newspaper article about jumping from the balcony of their condo or other mysterious circumstances.

I would be particular in selecting the person I would leave all my worldly possessions too if you understand what I mean.

My friend, I hope you enjoy Christmas this year. I dont think I will be so lucky. If some poor Thai Girl can make me feel happy then she is welcome to the lot. I have no living relatives and my friends, well you know how it is when you get older.

I'm sure you are well-meaning re leaving your worldly posessions to a Thai lady, but I would have thought one of the many charities here in Thailand would be more deserving. Not to say you couldn't be generous to a lady who would make your final days more comfortable.

Good advice sub,

Please don't advertise you intentions to a woman that you will give her sabbai on the proviso that your dead.

You may want to create a clause in your will issuing your estate to charity should you die under certain circumstances.

I am not rich, please dont think I am. I have been in and out of hospital since 2004 with my "constant friend" and he has just about won the battle.I have a genuine choice, either I go to Thailand and have a great 2 months if I am lucky and end up in hospital there with someone holding my hand or I go to a hospice hear as Mr Anonymous.

I havent got a lot of money less than 20k to be more specific, I dont own property, I have no trusts, so what if some lady can make me feel like a man once last time, then it the easiest 20k of her life and the best of mine.

I dont need a pimp, I can manage the details myself, I just needed some advice on where to go besides Patayya, but that will do and how to leave some money to her without just handing over a cash card on my death bed.

To everything else its a irrelevance to me and welcome the humour.

• Like 1

It might be simpler to give most of it away to the person before you pass away. Keeping only what you need for the short term. Less for the lawyers to sort out, and less cost to your beneficiary.

Risky. Nothing to say that once she receives the money she won't disappear. By the sound of it the OP hasn't time to make any long term relationship committment, he just wants some company for the short time he has left.

My friend, I am truly sorry to hear that. I always thought that if one must go, then they should try and go the happiest they can. So do what makes you happy, and try to go with a smile on your face. But as an other possibility, there are plenty of orphanages in Thailand too that could use help, and you would could possibly make more than one person happy.

OP one more thing: I was unaware of the previous post on terminal illness (as I am sure Damo and Topt were unaware of too). I apologize if I was being insensitive. It's just not what we normally hear when someone says they plan on leaving everything to someone they have yet to meet yet.

No offence taken.

Well OP if this is what you want (and if I were you I would probably do the same thing to be honest) the simplest way would just be to transfer your assets. If you only have about 20k (you don't say if it is in pounds, dollars, or euros) it is not that much money that it could not be handled fairly easily. If these are liquid assets, I would transfer the funds to Thailand in a Thai account. It sounds like the name of the game you are thinking about is avoiding the least amount of hassles in doing the transfer. If you should find someone, you can then make arrangements to do it as a joint account. Upon your death, the survivor gets it. The risk however, is that you don't want her to take it before you go, and you don't want to spend it all before you go because being in Thailand without any money and having a terminal illness is about as bad as it can get.

You could also hire a Thai attorney to handle your estate/distribute your funds upon death. Since you will be in Thailand and whoever gets it will be in Thailand, and you plan on going from Thailand it would make sense that the funds and the attorney be in Thailand.

Stay away from a Thai attorney for christs sake...like you could trust one of them ...very naive recommendation.

OP...what happens if you live longer than the expected 2 months ? These things can drag on and 12 months later you might still be walking about.

Also, if you come here and need to be hospitalised how will you manage that ? Do you have international insurance to cover it ? You would not want the greedy over charging hospitals here to get there hands on your final funds.

Come and blow it all if you wish, just be sure no loose ends such as above cause hiccups to a well laid plan.

Also perhaps go to see Father ?? at the mercy centre and tell him of your plans to leave some funds behind when you go, he may have a game plan to ensure it is effectively followed through with and some of those funds left could be allocated to an individual as you wish also.

Good advice sub,

I am not rich, please dont think I am. I have been in and out of hospital since 2004 with my "constant friend" and he has just about won the battle.I have a genuine choice, either I go to Thailand and have a great 2 months if I am lucky and end up in hospital there with someone holding my hand or I go to a hospice hear as Mr Anonymous.

I havent got a lot of money less than 20k to be more specific, I dont own property, I have no trusts, so what if some lady can make me feel like a man once last time, then it the easiest 20k of her life and the best of mine.

I dont need a pimp, I can manage the details myself, I just needed some advice on where to go besides Patayya, but that will do and how to leave some money to her without just handing over a cash card on my death bed.

To everything else its a irrelevance to me and welcome the humour.

Op: Given the amount you mentioned (assume GBP) and the timeframe you have, I would not hassle with lawyers trying to set up a will... as sad as the situation is (and as sorry as I am to hear it), if I would be in such a situation, I would transfer all assets to a Thai bank account, use it for the time left and make sure you have money left for the medical care you will need in the last days... and then finally just hand over the ATM card and the PIN code to the lady you have found and let her use the account without bothering to tell anybody that there is such an account.

This was pretty much what I was thinking. It was btw in GBP sorry I didnt make that clear. 20,000TBH would hardly of been worth a threat. LOL.

Thanks for all the replies, sorry to hog the forum. Have fun.

No apologies needed.

I think Swiss1960 is spot on.

Make is simple & easy, let your UK lawyer deal with paperwork & let the ATM card do the rest whether a UK account or Thai account. Lawyers love to make things complicated and you don't need the pressure, if you new friend has to attend anything in the UK visas, flights etc will be costly.

Hope you get some helpful answers to come to your post & bring you some comfort.

I wouldn't worry much about dieng in Thailand and my significant other not getting whatever I left behind in pretty much any circumstance , however just add her as a joint beneficary on whatever you have if your worried , you don't need a Lawyer to give your assets away you need a Lawyer to keep other people from stealing them from the person you will them to , if you give them away before you are dead no need to worry , if they are joint owners or run on beneficiary's on property or accounts also no need to worry.

It's pretty unlikely anyone from the UK is going file a claim against anything without a will in their hand over a small estate.