Leaving All My Worldly Goods To A Thai Lady

conquent

Get the money out of UK and to Thailand, no need for lawyers with this amount and inhereted money overseas will be eaten by the tax and or solicitors.

This is important to note for anyone, think about where and what you want done with your estate, and plan accordingly. if necessary talk to experts.

Why have assets in UK being subject to 55% tax on inheretance, that plus excessive legal fees, transfer fees, by the time your heirs get their hands on it there will be very little left.

Do we have a solicitoraccountant here that can explain the tax in UK and anticipated legal fees, I hope so, as some people will be in for a big shock, thinking there is money for their heirs when in reality it will be wittled away excessively.

Property is an even bigger problem, yet there are things in life you can do to ease your heirs that will be,

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not give it to an orphanage?go and see the look on their faces when you visit,better than some bird who might help you on your way before its time to go.

It's a good idea to leave something to a reputable orphange

Also MSF is an excellent cause and very reputable

I might add that while it wasn't in Thailand, I know of an Army vet in the same circumstances who went to the Philippines and found a very attentive, very caring lady to take care of him. He had the advantage of the Veterans Administration there for medical care, but the bottom line was that he lived in relative comfort for his last year or so.

Friends who attended his funeral said that the lady in question seemed honestly sad even if she had inherited a good chunk of change (I think it was less than $100k, but close to it.)

If it can happen in the Philippines, it can happen here, so I think your plans are quite reasonable.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, sorry to hog the forum. Have fun.

This is what ThaiVisa is all about, so don't apologize for posting here. You are always welcome here.

+1

OP you are not "hogging" the forum. Please post as much as you want. It's nice to have a post regarding a legitimate subject matter every now and then. I don't know how much of the forum you have read previously Without you, we Thaivisa members would just waste the time bickering and insulting one another. smile.png

P.S. posts like yours are absolutely necessary to remind me that whatever my gripes or problems are, someone has it worst and it pales in perspective to the grander scheme of things.

Edited by submaniac
  • Like 1

who went to the Philippines and found a very attentive, very caring lady to take care of him. He had the advantage of the Veterans Administration there for medical care,

hmm, this merits finding more out, the Veteran's Affairs that is.

I think a UK will would cover all property and monies in the UK, but you'd need a Thai will to cover the same for here.

Thank you. I just need to find a lucky lady to leave it all too.

you could leave it to me, i am not thai or a lady but i could certainly use the money. if you dont like that idea you can leave it to my thai lady...

An acquaintance who happens to be a Thai Lawyer told me recently that for straightforward cases in Thailand a will written and signed by an individual, clearly indicating the persons wishes after their death would suffice for Thai assets. There is an old thread with similar but more detailed information:

Things get more complicated if there are foreign assets or competing claims from other family members etc.

In the OPs situation transferring the money here would be a good idea. A couple of Thai ladies I know have had problems accessing foreign assets left to them after their partners passed away. This was mostly because they were not able to deal with foreign banks. There are agents around that will help people in this situation (for a price).

OP

Make it simple and clean ...donate everything up don't need in the UK and bring all in cash with you ...

I wish you the best you will find a nice lady for last few days who will make you happy and remind you it's good to be a man.

Forget the lawyers ...ATM & Pin is the best way and just pack everything else and donate them in a Thai temple or leave them in mall ...it will go to someone in need

Take care

Lawrence

OP...are you planning to let the process take its natural course, or at a planned time or pahse of the process are you planning to help it along ?

It is relevant as if you plan to let it run its natural course, you may need the assistance of doctors or hospital in the last days. I doubt you would wish to go through the pain of it of last few days without some pain medication etc.

You then need to factor in the cost of this and as I said before, do not let an international hospital here rip you off for everything left, they are merciless here.

And this is not a insensitive remark, my mother went through this and planned it, so just incase giddyup feels the need to express his feelings again.

OP once again, I apologize if I (or we) seem out of line. But it strikes me that you lived your life as a man, and you want to go out as a man. And it seems to me that you are a man that wants to enjoy his days as much as you can. So I hope that the OP can consider that you are at a bar amongst friends, and we want to make you laugh if we can. No offense is meant.

...and see what I mean about us bickering and insulting each other without you?????

With him...without him..the bickering and insults are always around wink.png

• Like 1

OP...are you planning to let the process take its natural course, or at a planned time or pahse of the process are you planning to help it along ?

It is relevant as if you plan to let it run its natural course, you may need the assistance of doctors or hospital in the last days. I doubt you would wish to go through the pain of it of last few days without some pain medication etc.

You then need to factor in the cost of this and as I said before, do not let an international hospital here rip you off for everything left, they are merciless here.

And this is not a insensitive remark, my mother went through this and planned it, so just incase giddyup feels the need to express his feelings again.

There was a young lady in the next village who had terminal cancer, the doctors could do nothing for her. They just sent her home. I am not sure if they give pain relief like they do in the UK.

I wish the OP has a great time of what is left. Can I suggest, it is just a thought! OP why don't you try to find a nurse who might be able to help you in your last days. I am sure you will tell who ever you choose, your situation, it is only fair, even if it is obvious to them!

A nurse could help you in those last few days, and would show some care in dong so.

Good Luck

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by ggold

Hi I did this useing a Thai lawyer your will will be valid in UK if you lodge a copy with a UK lawyer. Important to list your Thai bank accounts with account number or they will be lost in probate. Probably have to do the same with any UK accounts.ope this helps.

why not give it to an orphanage?go and see the look on their faces when you visit,better than some bird who might help you on your way before its time to go.

It's a good idea to leave something to a reputable orphange

i was thinking of father ray in pattaya orphanage if he is still there[he is a god]

Get the money out of UK and to Thailand, no need for lawyers with this amount and inhereted money overseas will be eaten by the tax and or solicitors.

This is important to note for anyone, think about where and what you want done with your estate, and plan accordingly. if necessary talk to experts.

Why have assets in UK being subject to 55% tax on inheretance, that plus excessive legal fees, transfer fees, by the time your heirs get their hands on it there will be very little left.

Do we have a solicitoraccountant here that can explain the tax in UK and anticipated legal fees, I hope so, as some people will be in for a big shock, thinking there is money for their heirs when in reality it will be wittled away excessively.

Property is an even bigger problem, yet there are things in life you can do to ease your heirs that will be,

Unless there has been a change, there will be no inheritance tax due if the total is 20K Pounds.

Conquent, I hope that your remaining time is as happy and comfortable as it can be.

I would suggest bringing the funds to Thailand and opening a single bank account. Shop around and find a Thai bank with a caring manager who understands what you plan to do. (I can recommend several in Chiang Mai). Then, once you find that that special Thai lady, you can execute a simple Thai Will at the amphur office. I outlined this procedure in a post on the CM forum when we did it.

http://www.thaivisa....l-theres-a-way/

It would not be a good idea to give the Thai lady your ATM pin number until close to the time of death. Meanwhile, have your good times with her on a pay-as-you-go basis. Be sure to save back enough in your bank account in case you have to go into a hospital for pallitive care.

Even if you're lucky enough to find a beautiful, sweet woman, good in bed who happens to be a nurse -- remember she won't be able to tend you alone at home during your final days. She won't have access to the medications and equipment needed to keep you comfortable and clean.

Edited by NancyL

I think a UK will would cover all property and monies in the UK, but you'd need a Thai will to cover the same for here.

Thank you. I just need to find a lucky lady to leave it all too.

Never ever tell any woman about the money. The nationality is irrelevant

There is no inheritance tax in England and Wales for estates with a value of less than £325,000.

http://www.hmrc.gov....-thresholds.htm

If the value of an asset (for example a bank account / savings bonds) is less than £5000, this can often be transferred to the Personal Representatives / next-of-kin on production of a death certificate, though this is not enshrined in law and depends on the policies of the individual bank or issuing institution. For larger amounts, or when the bank or other institution will not accept the death certificate, a Grant of Probate of the Will is required, or where there is no will, a Grant of Letters of Administration. For smaller estates, this can easily be applied for by the Personal Representatives (executors or next-of-kin) in person (i.e. without the necessity of instructing a solicitor). A fee of £105 is payable to the Probate Service, if the total value of the estate is £5000 or more.

http://www.direct.go...ion/DG_10029716

Of course, the procedure becomes a lot more complex if there are assets in other jurisdictions, or if there is real property (house or land) involved. In the case of the OP, I agree with other posters that it would be much simpler to give the intended beneficiary an ATM card and PIN.

Edited by Rumpole

Very humbling thread. Well done for wanting to do something good for someone at this stage of life no matter who you choose.

I would agree that passing on an ATM card may be the simplest.

I wish you the best for the time you have left.

Dear Friend,

I've read your previous post and can't tell you how sorry I am to hear of your situation. I think coming to Thailand is a great way to live the rest of your life. the weather here is good, and life is easy. I also understand your wish to be with a Thai lady, and I'm sure you will get lucky to find a nice one, As mentioned before in one of the posts, don't tell that lucky lady about your assets and give her your atm when you leave, And you don't need to transfer your money to a Thai bank. You can leave it at your home country, and withdraw occasionally any amount you need, so can the Thai lady.

Hope you'll live much longer then your plans.

Blossom

How many people who were to last 2 months are here after 5 years......

But make sure you are not worth more dead than alive , so give your lady a good - great salary to take care of you , each month , and set it up that she gets a suprise "Bonus" when you are gone .

Good luck in your search

• Like 1

ATM's fine until it gets stuck in a machine for one reason or another. Impossible to get a new one issued without the account holder or adequate paperwork. sad.png

That and it's illegal to access a deceased person's bank account. If you haven't put forth a legal mechanism that allows the beneficiary the legal right to the money (a will), then you are risking trouble and distress for them down the road when the account is frozen, the card is lost/stolen, or any number of other problems.

• Like 1

Good advice sub,

What the eye does'nt see the heart does'nt need.

Please don't advertise you intentions to a woman that you will give her sabbai on the proviso that your dead.

You may want to create a clause in your will issuing your estate to charity should you die under certain circumstances.

I am not rich, please dont think I am. I have been in and out of hospital since 2004 with my "constant friend" and he has just about won the battle.I have a genuine choice, either I go to Thailand and have a great 2 months if I am lucky and end up in hospital there with someone holding my hand or I go to a hospice hear as Mr Anonymous.

I havent got a lot of money less than 20k to be more specific, I dont own property, I have no trusts, so what if some lady can make me feel like a man once last time, then it the easiest 20k of her life and the best of mine.

I dont need a pimp, I can manage the details myself, I just needed some advice on where to go besides Patayya, but that will do and how to leave some money to her without just handing over a cash card on my death bed.

To everything else its a irrelevance to me and welcome the humour.

Op: Given the amount you mentioned (assume GBP) and the timeframe you have, I would not hassle with lawyers trying to set up a will... as sad as the situation is (and as sorry as I am to hear it), if I would be in such a situation, I would transfer all assets to a Thai bank account, use it for the time left and make sure you have money left for the medical care you will need in the last days... and then finally just hand over the ATM card and the PIN code to the lady you have found and let her use the account without bothering to tell anybody that there is such an account.

The above is excellent practical advice. The likelihood of negative impact from the following advice is minimal. Remember this is TH. Going through a probate process in multiple jurisdictions would be an expensive and totally unnecessary nightmare. Not that much money in any event and death taxes would not apply in any country where funds are deposited.

I am retired and divorced lawyer living in TH with my long time TH lady. I would not use a TH attorney. I have drafted a will that makes the following provisions. All my assets are liquid and in TH, US, Canadian and offshore banks. All funds are accessible via ATM cards although with varying withdrawal limits. My lady knows where all the cards are, will and other docs.

My lady has my daughter's email address and phone number in the US. If I were to die (gonna happen some day), my TH lady phones / emails my daughter who will give her the PIN's with instructions to clean out all my accounts, burn me on the pyre and keep the rest.

My daughter has a copy of my will and understands these are my wishes and is completely on side and will do exactly what daddy wants. My TH lady only knows to email / call my daughter if I die. She has no idea what will happen when she does. We live on the third floor!

Good luck to the OP - not an easy road to travel so I hope this may help.

Edited by Headgame

from above.......

All funds are accessible via ATM cards although with varying withdrawal limits. My lady knows where all the cards are, will and other docs.

My lady has my daughter's email address and phone number in the US. If I were to die (gonna happen some day), my TH lady phones / emails my daughter who will give her the PIN's with instructions to clean out all my accounts, burn me on the pyre and keep the rest.

My daughter has a copy of my will and understands these are my wishes and is completely on side and will do exactly what daddy wants. My TH lady only knows to email / call my daughter if I die. She has no idea what will happen when she does. We live on the third floor!

Good luck to the OP - not an easy road to travel so I hope this may help.

end quote

i guess my only question with this plan is will the banks freeze the ATM accounts when large amounts of Baht are taken out of accounts that have had no action in months / years

Not sure of a way to prevent that !

BK

Edited by BKKdreaming