Are Falang Bars/restaurants Actually Worth The Hassle?

Plucky

I rented a bar for a year and I did ok with it. I didn't make millions or anything, but I made enough to live and a little more. I had no previous experience in the bar business and got along fine with nothing but my common sense (it's not exactly rocket sience to run a bar). What I didn't count on was the dreadful boredom that comes with sitting in a bar all day, every day, having to talk about the same things over and over again (recommend travel destinations/tailors/restaurants/tattoo parlours/giving advice on just about everything etc. etc.) having to drink with the customers day in day out. If you don't drink with you'r customers you're a boring bar owner and the customer will find a funnier one. And to be frank, you really need to be drunk to endure listening to drunk people...

Boredom is a disease worse than cancer, and alcohol cures it.

So i began drinking more and more to cope with the boredom and restlessness (I've never been good at doing nothing, I allways need to have something to do) and after about a year I just couldn't stand it any more, so I drank all my stock and stumbled out of the bar and never looked back. Bar owning was fun for a month or so, after that not so fun, at all... During this year I drank a lifetime worth of alcohol and I can't really stand to be drunk anymore, which sux since I used to like beeing a bit tipsy from time to time...

Funny thing is that when i tell people about the above horrors of owning (in my case renting) a bar they look at me as if i was a mad man, because for most people I've met having a bar in Thailand is something they wish they would have done. I thought the same before I did it.

What I'm trying to say is that anybody that wasn't dropped on their head as a child can run a bar, and manage to live of it. However I don't think there is many people that can manage the boredom and alcohol consumption that comes with it.

The first rule of running a bar is don't drink in your own bar!

I agree, but it's easier said than done. I guess I'm just not cut out to sit around doing nothing all day. I've lived a very active life as a working construction foreman by day and doing sports after work for atleast 5 days a week, going from that to sit in a bar all day all night just didn't work for me. I did my research on just about everything before I took the bar over, but somehow I missed to put this aspect into my calculations.

Second rule of running a bar in Thailand is don't buy a bar, it makes it so much harder to walk away than if you rent one.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people have a fantasy of owning their own pub/cafe/nightclub, I think that is what it is all about.

People come out here to live out their fantasies, not all of which are sexual.

I met a guy runs a pub in a popular tourist town (neither Bkk nor Pattaya), has a ex-bg Thai wife. He's making enough to get by, but has to keep up a few little sidelines (like taking people on visa runs) to do so.

@Submaniac

<deleted>, you young pup! .We're not all young like you.... Will you take pity on all the old farts on TV and use a sensible sized font???? I've just done more harm to my eyesight than any other dangerous or dubious activities in the past decade....

Thanks, pal wai.gif

PS.... Chill.... You would make your point better that way. (Just sayin')

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 2

Submaniac, oh dear that Songsam really is hitting home tonight. Maybe drinking on an empty stomach is not wise.

So your explaining to me about Thai people beating up foreigners then post a video of it. Are you trying to say something here as I think you've crossed the line from discussion to outright threat. Thankfully I'm made of sterner stuff.

I never said I wanted to start a business here and have no intention or need to do so in the future.

Good luck with all your future endeavours sir.

Edited by pimping

Submaniac, oh dear that Songsam really is hitting home tonight. Maybe drinking on an empty stomach is not wise.

So your explaining to me about Thai people beating up foreigners then post a video of it. Are you trying to say something here as I think you've crossed the line from discussion to outright threat. Thankfully I'm made of sterner stuff.

I never said I wanted to start a business here and have no intention or need to do so in the future.

Good luck with all your future endeavours sir.

Thank you for your warm wishes, sir. I do wish you great success on your endeavors to get your testicle massaged.

Kind regards.

That's better! it's so nice to see you two boys playing nicely now...... tongue.png

• Like 1

A very high percentage of Farangs who come to Thailand,are of the opinion that their best course of making a living in Thailand is to open a Bar,as if this is a brilliant idea that no one else has thought of,when in reality thousands have gone broke with this idea.

Go back to the drawing board, this the quickest way to go skint! and a early plane back home!

We started off making good bread, pizzas and burgers at home, plus selling beer and soft drinks. We did it because we needed some sort of income before my pension kicked in. After a while, we moved the operation into a shophouse in our small town and did quite well, always aware of the fact that you don't buy anything that you don't actually need for the business.

All food was home made. Each menu item was freezable, so there was no waste. Chalkboards on the walls were our menu, so we could add more items or scrub items that were not that popular. Customers would come by for bread and find we could also supply cheese, butter, ham, bacon, mustard, and so on. We made large pork pies and sold them by the slice - made really good sandwiches using our own bread and the best possible fillings. Home made pate, soups, stews and sauces, we had 'em.

We were doing something that was not being done in our town, so we were not getting fingered by jealous competitors. We sold our beers, (draft and bottled), at a slightly higher price than the other outlets to discourage the price conscious, and that included the Thai kids - once again, we were not treading on anyone's toes. So it worked and was successful until that pension kicked in and we decided to call it a day.

Now, I had no work permit and I guess the police knew that. They were customers too but never tried to shake us down for bribes or discounts. I think it worked because we had a good location, and the right quality at the right price and we carefully avoided getting cross-threaded with other businesses. But most of all, it worked because my wife wanted it to work and she was prepared to put in the time and effort. That was important, because it seems that many Thai ladies lose that work ethic once they've married a foreigner - after that, many have no intention of ever working again.

Our biggest problem was getting staff, reliable or otherwise, so it really boiled down to just the two of us with occasional staff and at busy times, help from her friends. The ideas I had for opening up the other two floors and a roof garden remained ideas only - no way we could have coped with that work load.

I was so glad when we closed and at last had time to attend to our house and land. It worked for us, but I'd never do it again. Hardest for me was having to deal with those dickheads who sometimes happened by - but I did improve my anger management skills a bit. There's no way I would have tried a similar venture in Bangkok, Pattaya, CM or Phuket.

Spot on post, the best and most honest reply yet.

I did the reverse I moved from CM to Pattaya. I was buying a restaurant in CM but too many people tried to cheat me or the business was overpriced. Pattaya is a lot cheaper to buy a business. Outside of a few high profile places the cops don't get involved. Then I got offered work in Pattaya, good pay and no risk so I took that because I'm old.

what restaurant was it?

if your opening a bar, your already a drunk, looking to bang the help or act like an idiot. not difficult to see why the writings on the wall.

now someone who opened a self serve laundry, a franchise or suit tailor may make a go.

I did the reverse I moved from CM to Pattaya. I was buying a restaurant in CM but too many people tried to cheat me or the business was overpriced. Pattaya is a lot cheaper to buy a business. Outside of a few high profile places the cops don't get involved. Then I got offered work in Pattaya, good pay and no risk so I took that because I'm old.

what restaurant was it?

if your opening a bar, your already a drunk, looking to bang the help or act like an idiot. not difficult to see why the writings on the wall.

now someone who opened a self serve laundry, a franchise or suit tailor may make a go.

Back when I was a kid I too noticed that. I used to work for Hilton and the F&B guys were usually drunks that wanted to do the cocktail waitresses.

Not that it's bad to do the cocktail waitresses. Given you are careful and moderate your drinking being a Food and Beverage director at a good hotel can mean free booze, free sex and free room and board. Now that's not a bad job eh? Unless you are a wanna be monk like I kind of think you are. Being a monk is cool too of course, especially in Thailand if you like the color orange.

Just so the legion of folks who read my every word are not mislead. What I am suggesting is; get a job at a large hotel and learn the business from the ground up like I did. Then when you grow up, big executives will actually pay you to eat drink and be merry.

@Submaniac

<deleted>, you young pup! .We're not all young like you.... Will you take pity on all the old farts on TV and use a sensible sized font???? I've just done more harm to my eyesight than any other dangerous or dubious activities in the past decade....

Thanks, pal wai.gif

PS.... Chill.... You would make your point better that way. (Just sayin')

Yes it was hard on the eyes, but a post that did make a lot of sense, to anyone who wants to open a restaurant/bar.

While the Thai manager is calmly talking to the Falang, it’s really just as a distraction. The decision has already been made that the Falang is going down. The falang simply didn’t know it yet. The Thais were waiting for the Falang to be at his weakest and most vulnerable.

Great post! But you are being unnecessarily hard on the Thais here. The boss talks to him calmly. And his staff is just prepared to intervene if the falang becomes violent. It's certainly not the first time they have dealt with a stupid drunk falang in this fine establishment. Anyway, if the falang didn't get physical, I doubt he would have gotten his ass kicked.

Also, they still behaved nicely and in a measured Thai fashion. They didn't beat him into a bloody pulp for 15 minutes, as would happen in China.

Restaurants are always very tough businesses to run. Which is funny cause often on TV people will suggest that a members wife/gf open a restaurant business.

Personally, I would not even go into a Western restaurant in Thailand anymore unless I heard good word of mouth about the food. The prices tend to be high and the food very crappy.

I think you can make plenty of money but you really need to have a good product (with locally sourced materials) and the ability to train and maintain a staff.

Look at Sunrise Tacos. They are expensive but the food is awesome. They have a Filipino staff. So anything can be done but it does not mean it will be easy.

Personally I wish farang were legally allowed to run a street cart. Now that would be a lot of fun and I am sure the Thais would be curious as well. Too bad for the silly discriminatory regulations in this country.

Restaurants are always very tough businesses to run. Which is funny cause often on TV people will suggest that a members wife/gf open a restaurant business.

Personally, I would not even go into a Western restaurant in Thailand anymore unless I heard good word of mouth about the food. The prices tend to be high and the food very crappy.

I think you can make plenty of money but you really need to have a good product (with locally sourced materials) and the ability to train and maintain a staff.

Look at Sunrise Tacos. They are expensive but the food is awesome. They have a Filipino staff. So anything can be done but it does not mean it will be easy.

Personally I wish farang were legally allowed to run a street cart. Now that would be a lot of fun and I am sure the Thais would be curious as well. Too bad for the silly discriminatory regulations in this country.

Yes...Sunrise Tacos is OK...it is also consistent.

Nice sidewinder punch - bloke deserved it probably but fairly gutless.

He could have easily got some brain damage - not that he would know - but surely if the other guys had made it known they

were available for an ass kicking the drunk guy would have left - if not then he deserves to get a spanking.

I'm not missing the point here - it's obvious enough for an ignorant farang like me to make the connection wai.gif

However a very common event in Thailand is this kind of idiot being kicked to pieces by some cowardly bastards -deservedly or not - and no doubt an

unassuming ignorant would be Western businessman will meet a similar end.

ps how do we know the Thai he is talking to is the manager? ( Just curious )

Edited by chonabot

You see the Falang is bigger, younger, and stronger than the Thai he is speaking too. If it was one on one, the Falang probably might win. But what the Falang doesn’t understand that it is not a one on one fight, he’s gonna have to fight them all. While the Thai manager is calmly talking to the Falang, it’s really just as a distraction. The decision has already been made that the Falang is going down. The falang simply didn’t know it yet. The Thais were waiting for the Falang to be at his weakest and most vulnerable.

Guy looks old and fat to me, 60+, and with a 'glass jaw'.

How many racist insults (falang) do you need to put in one paragraph?

Now, you should step back and take a good look at yourself. You are 30 years old (with thinning hair) and single. In England, you worked selling automotive accessories (hence the name “pimping”). Back home you are a nobody. You were barely making ends meet. The ladies reject you. In other words, you were a loser.

So you go on holiday to Thailand, to escape dreary old England. You go to a bar. The bargirls tell you that you are hansum man. Any girl (in the gogo bar) is yours with your come hither stare (and a 1000baht note). You then think to yourself, “this is bloody paradise…I got all the birds I want…I don’t have to deal with immigrants takin over my country, I don’t have some western hag telling me what to do, and I’m going to go out and drink and shag every bird I come across.”

You don’t want to go back to your low paid miserable job in England. You want to stay in Thailand. This is a fresh start. In England, you are a low paid car parts salesman, in Thailand you are reinvented as a well presented English gentleman of leisure.

Now the meager savings that you brought with you from selling plastic ornaments on those Toyota camry’s is starting to dwindle. But damnit, you do not want to return to England. You want to stay in Thailand and shag, and get your testicle massaged. (Understandable that you should want to take care of it since you only have one left.) But what to do? You have no skills. If you don’t get any money, you have to go home and you don’t want to do that.

Wait, you’ll start a restaurant or bar. No onehas ever thought of that before. The Thais are stupid. They would have never thought about starting a restaurant and running it like you, a Westerner, would.

So you post about opening a restaurant in Thailand. You get a bunch of posts in response. The general consensus is that it is not a good idea. If you use the “search” button you will see the posts from others on what kind of problems they’ve had. But you don’t want to listen. You’re different.

I come on here and tell why it’s a good idea. Then you come back that I am just spouting off on how Thai I am.

Well there is a big difference between you and me. I have a lot more experience with Thailand than you do. You see your plane landed on April 1, 2012 (the post you put up when you touched ground in Thailand.

you’ve been here about 5 months. I have been on this board a long time. My relationship with Thailand is even longer. I have seen you before my friend. I have seen you come, with big plans and a big mouth. And, if you are lucky, you get to leave on a plane with your tail between your legs with no money to start over again in the country you tried to escape from. Those not so lucky get shipped in a box back home or to the local Wat.

Let me clue you in. There are plenty of successful expats in Thailand and on this forum who’ve managed to survive and thrive. There is one general trait that I see amongst them. They’re not the ones running off to a bar drinking and womanizing. The successful ones are the ones who are actually the responsible family men. They’re the ones with wives, and Thai family who help them. In Thailand, business is a family affair. Thaksin Shinawatra. It is the family that runs the business. Red Bull Ferrari guy. From the big successful super families, to your local noodle shop where the little children serve the noodles. It is the family that pitches in and runs the business.

You are a single man trying to open up a restaurant. You have no experience in the restaurant business. Your restaurant management experience is being an employee selling car parts back in England. You’ve been here for 5 months.

So you are the one that is going to try and “manage” Thai employees? Who’s going to talk to the contractors when work needs to be done to the building? Who’s going to the local bosses about getting a liquor permit? Who’s going to be talking to the companies delivering food? You? By yourself? The reason business is run as a family is that members of the family “know someone” who can get things done. Without knowing someone you are dead in the water.

And since you brought up your complaints that I am the PC police….Let me clue you in. It’s not about being “politically correct”, it’s learning to keep your dam_n mouth shut when you are hopelessly outnumbered when you are playing in someone else’s turf.

Thai people don’t like people who shoot their mouths off without thinking. For you clowns fresh off the plane that’s apparently all you want to do. The Thai way is to keep calm, keep your mouth shut, and keep a low profile. The expats that survive learn to do that. If the Thais don’t like it when other Thais shoot their mouths off and make waves, they sure as hell don’t like it when some dumbass foreigner does it.

I’m feeling generous and magnanimous today. I’m going to give you a lesson on Thai culture and how to do business in Thailand. Learn about the Thai people by learning how they fight. Have you ever seen a real fight in Thailand? The only time Thais fight one on one, mano el mano is in the Muay Thai ring. If it’s a “real fight” it’s always done in groups. Running your own business is a fight. It’s not just your competitors, my own dam_n customers and employees that also wanted a piece of me. You need to have people with loyalty to you backing you up.

The English gentlemen in the bar is you. The bar itself is Thailand. Consider that when you shoot your mouth off and lose your cool in Thailand, Thailand will teach you humility. So keep on spouting off.

Pay attention to what’s happening. The Falang is getting angry and losing situational awareness. Pay attention to the Thai sitting next to him. He’s trying to remain calm and talk. If you pay attention, while they’re talking, there are other Thais already moving into position to strike. The Falang is too busy getting angry and shooting off his mouth to notice this.

You see the Falang is bigger, younger, and stronger than the Thai he is speaking too. If it was one on one, the Falang probably might win. But what the Falang doesn’t understand that it is not a one on one fight, he’s gonna have to fight them all. While the Thai manager is calmly talking to the Falang, it’s really just as a distraction. The decision has already been made that the Falang is going down. The falang simply didn’t know it yet. The Thais were waiting for the Falang to be at his weakest and most vulnerable.

Where does the knock out blow come from? It wasn’t from the guy he was talking too. It comes from where he least it expects it (from behind). Notice what happens after the Falang is knocked out? Another Thai rushes forward and starts kicking the Falang when he is down. Understand the Thai way. The Thai will try and remain calm. If you should push a Thai to the breaking point where they are no longer willing to put up with your shit, they are not out to “look tough”; they’re out to really to kill you.

Now as it relates to business in Thailand, it’s not just Thai v. Falang. The Thais will try and rip off each other. Hence that is why a business operates as a family unit. It’s out of necessity. You can’t run a business and while simultaneously fighting off other people who are trying to take a piss in your rice bowl. If you are single, and don’t have a Thai wife or Thai family that will assist you in your business endeavors, you will have some serious problems doing it on your own.

But you know, don’t just listen to me. Actually ignore my advice. Go take your meager life savings and open up a restaurant and/or bar. I actually dare you to. Let’s see what happens.

Have a wonderful day.

thats a great post.

• Like 2

Yes...Sunrise Tacos is OK...it is also consistent.

my experience is quite the opposite.

it is very hit and miss when the boss isnt around

Edited by tinfoilhat

Okay Tommo, not to start a fight or nothing--and in an effort to try and indulge your sensibilities because you think "Falang" is a racist term, what word would YOU use instead?

There's already been multiple thread discussions on this. If you are so insulted by the word, then what is your replacement word then? You want to go with "Pinkies" like Jingthing suggested?

Okay Tommo, not to start a fight or nothing--and in an effort to try and indulge your sensibilities because you think "Falang" is a racist term, what word would YOU use instead?

There's already been multiple thread discussions on this. If you are so insulted by the word, then what is your replacement word then? You want to go with "Pinkies" like Jingthing suggested?

I would not be upset by you saying 'foreigner', 'westerner' or 'white person' (if skin colour is that important to you), if using English or alternatively using 'Kon Dtaang Chaat' or 'Nak Tong Ti-ow' appropriately if you want to post in 'Tinglish'.

I am insulted by 'farang', 'falang', 'bak see daa', 'ma gairw', and 'ma guey gar', and so are many other posters so please try to avoid using those terms.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I am insulted by 'farang', 'falang', 'bak see daa', 'ma gairw', and 'ma guey gar', and so are many other posters so please try to avoid using those terms.

Life is short dude. Take a chill pill and stop "being insulted" too fast. Who cares?

Edited by benever
  • Like 1