Mekong River Dam Will Kill Us, Protesters Tell Yingluck

webfact

CONTROVERSIAL DAM

Mekong river dam will kill us : protesters tell PM

PHATSURANG DECHABUDDHARUNGSI

THE NATION

30190576-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A conservation group submitted a petition with more than 9,000 signatures from people opposed to a controversial dam on the Mekong River to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday, demanding the Thai government cease support for the Xayaburi Dam.

Representatives of the Thai People's Network gathered at Government House with posters that said "We, people from the Northeast, will not support PM Yingluck anymore", and the "Dam is killing us".

They called for Yingluck to come out to receive their petition and hear their demands, but she did not appear.

The group, together with a coalition of Towards Ecological Recovery and Regional Alliance (TERRA) and Save the Mekong, held an exhibition at the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre last week called 'Disaster on the Mekong: The Push for Xayaburi Dam', which pictures by top photographer Suthep Kritsanavarin.

Each photo shows aspects of life along the Mekong would be lost forever because of the dam.

Laos proposed building the dam on the Mekong at Thahouy district in Xayaburi province, to generate more than 1,000 MW of power to sell to Thailand. Thai construction firm Ch Karnchang is building the dam - the first on the mainstream of the river below China.

According to the International Rivers conservation group, the Xayaburi dam will, if completed, block critical fish migration routes for dozens of species to upper stretches of the Mekong as far as Chiang Saen in northern Thailand - an important spawning ground for the critically endangered Mekong giant catfish.

They said the dam would destroy the river's complex ecosystem, which serves as a significant fish habitat for local and migratory species. The dam would also block sediment flows, affecting agriculture, especially Thai eight provinces and far down to the Mekong Delta in Vietnam.

Cambodia and Vietnam have called on Vientiane to reconsider the project, saying it is a major threat to millions who depend on the river for food and livelihoods. The Mekong River Commission, which Thailand and Laos are also members of, agrees the dam should be delayed for proper studies of environmental impacts. But ministers in Laos say studies have already been done, and consultants they hired said there were no major negative impacts for the river.

These claims are disputed by representatives from Cambodia and Vietnam, plus fishing communities and the conservationists who rallied in Bangkok yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-18

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware there is a huge amount of sediment that comes down the Mekong, I wonder how the turbines would cope with large amounts of possibly coarse granules passing through in wet season, and how long till the inflow of sediment into the dam reduces it's water holding capacity?

• Like 1

Well, in the rest of the world they use "fish ladders" and they just work fine. Apart from that I wonder where all those concerning voices were when the Chinese built their little dams which forced dozens of millions of people to relocate and flooded some hunderts of kilometres back. But I guess, it is always a matter who is building, complaining and/or paying.

Comparing this dam with the Chinese open lignite mine and power station being built further up in Hongsa I can tell you that all those greenies would just LOVE only dams. In Hongsa (northwestern Laos, same province, north of the Thai province of Nan) there is an ecological desaster in the making; the smokes will ruin Luang Prabang's tourism industry (only 70 kilometres crow-fly distance away). Pathetic!

But ministers in Laos say studies have already been done, and consultants they hired said there were no major negative impacts for the river.

Gee Really? The consultants hired by the Lao Government said everything will be hunky dory. I would imagine an independent consulting Firm might have a different opinion. Actually I believe many experts have already chimed in and believe it could possibly be a eco disaster, as most dams are that block natural migration routs. Example: California and Oregon. massive decline in salmon populations, after dams were built. Many if not all of those have these fish ladders integrated in these projects.

I don't think having a few less salmon could be considered an eco disaster. Building a city is more of an eco disaster and most of us don't complain about living in them. Nature can cope quite easily with a dam.

Dams are getting harder to get built in many regions, worldwide, mostly from peoples' protests. People are becoming more aware of the implications. Not like the old days (or modern day China or Laos) when dams got built wherever politicians and Big Biz wanted them built.

Dams can be good in some ways, but of course, each site should be looked at for its unique set of plusses and minuses. From the little I've heard about the big Laotian dam, it looks like a bad idea. There are alternative power sources which few politicians are aware of. Tide and river flow are renewable, clean, and low cost. Power generator systems are pumping out amperage as we speak. Thailand could provide most of the power for Krabi (and other seaside regions) using tide power. Similarly, a considerable portion of power needs along the Mekong could be met with river-flow power. It's not 'pie in the sky' technology. Two motocy mechanics and a budget of 5 million baht (the cost of one fancy house) could build a series of small power generators which could power a small town - from just river flow. Contact me, if you want details.

"People are becoming more aware of the implications".

What do you mean? Those experts that carried out a study said that there were NO negative impacts - so people's concerns are clearly unjustified and they should accept everything that happens!!! I mean, they only live there are depend on the river for their livelihoods, so what voice have they got in all this.

Besides, if it wakes them up in turning their backs on Pheua Thai then it will benefit the country no end!!!

As far as I am aware there is a huge amount of sediment that comes down the Mekong, I wonder how the turbines would cope with large amounts of possibly coarse granules passing through in wet season, and how long till the inflow of sediment into the dam reduces it's water holding capacity?

You might be the only one who's thought about that, unfortunately.

• Like 1

But ministers in Laos say studies have already been done, and consultants they hired said there were no major negative impacts for the river.

Gee Really? The consultants hired by the Lao Government said everything will be hunky dory. I would imagine an independent consulting Firm might have a different opinion. Actually I believe many experts have already chimed in and believe it could possibly be a eco disaster, as most dams are that block natural migration routs. Example: California and Oregon. massive decline in salmon populations, after dams were built. Many if not all of those have these fish ladders integrated in these projects.

The consultants hired for this project were independent foreign experts.

http://www.mrcmekong.org/news-and-events/consultations/proposed-xayaburi-hydropower-project-prior-consultation-process/

Edited by lovelaos

You might be the only one who's thought about that, unfortunately.

Really? http://www.mrcmekong.org/news-and-events/consultations/proposed-xayaburi-hydropower-project-prior-consultation-process/

The Dam won't just kill the protesters. The 3 Gorges dam_n, because it changed the way the river flows, has become more polluted, and because the silt drops out quicker, there has been significant land loss at the river mouth.

• Like 1

Representatives of the Thai People's Network gathered at Government House with posters that said "We, people from the Northeast, will not support PM Yingluck anymore", and the "Dam is killing us".

They called for Yingluck to come out to receive their petition and hear their demands, but she did not appear.

Time that some of them understand how worse this woman and her fugitive brother are. Hope the nation will wake up and re elect Aphisit.\

At least this guy has got a brain.----coffee1.gif

• Like 1

http://www.mrcmekong...tation-process/

I might be having a seniors moment but I cant seem to find who are/were the Foreign Experts ?
  • Like 1

I've tried to follow this project for a while, and I've so far seen no documentation of a preliminary analysis of the consequences of the dam. Cambodia and Vietnam, the countries that will be most heavily affected and a population of around 60 million people who base their livelihood on the Mekong haven't even been consulted. The Mekong Commission is being more or less ignored.

Anybody who has been in the Mekong Delta or along the Mekong/Tonle Sap river system will easily understand how a reduction of the water volume and changes to the seasonal variations of the water flow can be very destructive not only to the largest inland fisheries in the world, but also to the agriculture in the area. Add to that the destruction of migration routes for fish (and fish ladders have been proven not always to be an efficient way of solving that) and we may be in for a major environmental disaster. I say "may" because one of the problems is that no proper analysis of the consequences has been made.

To make things worse, this isn't even electricity that is urgently needed in Thailand. To me, it seems like an attempt to monopolize electricity in the region, to ensure that Thailand remains the leading industrial power among the affected countries. Unfortunately, knowing how these decisions are made in Thailand and the amount of money involved, there's probably nothing that's going to stop this, and one can only hope that the dam is quickly filled up with sand and gravel and left to rot as a reminder of human greed.

• Like 1

Sainyabuli is the only Laotian province that is west of the Mekong River how convenient! The toponym; Mother of Rivers says it all...

FYI Sayaburi is not the only Lao province west of Mekong, Pakse is too. Future dams there too ????

i believe there are plans to make 8 or even more dams after this one.

basically the Thai government's thinking is in the dark ages when it comes to dams. They can only see Laos as a source of cheap electricity........ they haven't considered that even that may be a pipe-dream too.

The effects of all these dams will benefit a few rig officials and the contractors. In the end all those who live on the river will pay with their livelihoods and the Thai government will end up with ever-increasing electricity bills.

• Like 1

I might be having a seniors moment but I cant seem to find who are/were the Foreign Experts ?

http://www.mrcmekong.org/assets/Consultations/2010-Xayaburi/Report-National-Cons-on-XayaburiCambodia.pdf

http://www.mrcmekong.org/assets/Consultations/2010-Xayaburi/Report-National-Cons-on-XayaburiThailand.pdf

Brief summary of the participants

The participants consist of representatives of government agencies and

non-government groups including representatives of the community group, national

assembly members, NGOs, university, research institutes and other stakeholders

.http://www.mrcmekong.org/assets/Consultations/2010-Xayaburi/Report-National-Cons-on-XayaburiCanTho.pdf

http://www.mrcmekong.org/news-and-events/news/lower-mekong-countries-take-prior-consultation-on-xayaburi-project-to-ministerial-level/

Since the notification, the countries have conducted national consultations with related stakeholders including potentially affected communities to gauge their views and perspectives on the project. The MRC Secretariat also commissioned a team of environmental experts to review documents including the Environmental Impact Assessment submitted by the Government of the Lao PDR.

Well she is only risking 9,000 votes in 60+ million, mind you the tide is turning against PTP and the puppet master is well aware of that. Will she seek solace in his confiding with her? - the plot continues to unravel.

Edited by asiawatcher

Time that some of them understand how worse this woman and her fugitive brother are. Hope the nation will wake up and re elect Aphisit.\

Then my friend Khun Abhisit really had me fooled since he generally appeared to be incompetent.

Poor old Thailand really is in the dog house over Xayaburi Dam. On or about 17th April 2012 Ch Kangchang a Thai company specifically formed for the purpose of building Xayaburi Dam. This followed an earlier contract with the same company for Initial design and procurement activities. To date Thailand's financial exposure must be at least 100 Billion Baht. There is litigation pending which would explain why Yingluck as chief executive of the defendant could not agree to meet a protest group that are allied to the litigant against the Thai government.

Then my friend Khun Abhisit really had me fooled since he generally appeared to be incompetent.

Then my friend Khun Abhisit really never had enough time to show his competence. The moppets with their tablets, wireless, flood prevention and other self satisfying karabao kee started to run the red show.

Good to know that even farmers now understood that she's such a joke.

I doubt that most of Thai teachers will change their mind, whatever will come in the future under this BS government.

They always get their goodies from them.------ wai.gif

Then my friend Khun Abhisit really never had enough time to show his competence. The moppets with their tablets, wireless, flood prevention and other self satisfying karabao kee started to run the red show.

Good to know that even farmers now understood that she's such a joke.

I doubt that most of Thai teachers will change their mind, whatever will come in the future under this BS government.

They always get their goodies from them.------ wai.gif

K abhisit had several unsuccessful goes at being elected and failed every time and had to rely on the army to put him in power.....even then he lost the next election...how incompetent do you need?

"re-elect" - when was he elected? - I presume you mean his party - not him?

Edited by cowslip

Poor old Thailand really is in the dog house over Xayaburi Dam. On or about 17th April 2012 Ch Kangchang a Thai company specifically formed for the purpose of building Xayaburi Dam. This followed an earlier contract with the same company for Initial design and procurement activities. To date Thailand's financial exposure must be at least 100 Billion Baht. There is litigation pending which would explain why Yingluck as chief executive of the defendant could not agree to meet a protest group that are allied to the litigant against the Thai government.

Ch. Karnchang has not been specifically formed to build this project. They'v been around forever building numerous infrastructure projects (often with foreign partners too); Expressways, Bkk Underground, Water tunnels etc you name it.

• Like 1

http://www.mrcmekong...uriCambodia.pdf

http://www.mrcmekong...uriThailand.pdf

Brief summary of the participants

The participants consist of representatives of government agencies and

non-government groups including representatives of the community group, national

assembly members, NGOs, university, research institutes and other stakeholders

.http://www.mrcmekong...aburiCanTho.pdf

http://www.mrcmekong...isterial-level/

Since the notification, the countries have conducted national consultations with related stakeholders including potentially affected communities to gauge their views and perspectives on the project. The MRC Secretariat also commissioned a team of environmental experts to review documents including the Environmental Impact Assessment submitted by the Government of the Lao PDR.

The very links you provide cast doubt on the approval process, seeming to indicate that the Laotian government is trying to steamroll objections of other countries' governments. Nowhere can I find evidence of an independent EIS. The Lao government undoubtedly would perceive an outside EIS to be contrary to their interests, as negative consequences of the dam would surely be brought to the public eye.

From the last link above, dated April 2011:

Lao PDR insists process is complete, while other lower Mekong countries raise concerns on impacts and gaps in technical knowledge and mitigation measures

Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam today agreed that a decision on the prior consultation process for the proposed Xayaburi hydropower project be tabled for consideration at the ministerial level, as they could not come to a common conclusion on how to proceed with the project.

Lao PDR also noted that an extension to conduct further studies will require much more time than 6 months and it will not be possible to satisfy all parties’ concerns.

The Xayaburi project will comply with the MRC Secretariat Preliminary Design Guidance and best practices based on international standards, said the Lao delegate, adding major impacts on navigation, fish passage, sediment, water quality and aquatic ecology and dam safety can be mitigated at acceptable levels.

Other MRC Member Countries however expressed a range of concerns on the proposed scheme and provided some further recommendations.

Cambodia said that more time may be required for the notifying country and its project developer to fulfill gaps in technical requirements and for effective consultations among the Member Countries and with the public.

Cambodia stated that there was a need for a comprehensive study and assessment of transboundary and cumulative environmental impacts. Cambodia added that the enabling countermeasures and solutions to mitigate such impacts need to be clearly developed, while other measures such as benefit sharing to affected countries, transboundary environmental management and social funds need to be jointly put into practice.

“With the limited information related to the Project, Cambodia therefore suggested the Prior Consultation period be extended,” said the country in its official response.

Acknowledging the important role of the project in Lao PDR’s development plan, Thailand responded that in moving the project forward, precautionary and mitigation measures should be conducted for the sake of the people and environment in the region.

Viet Nam recommended the deferment of this and other planned hydropower projects on the Mekong mainstream for at least 10 years.

“”The deferment should be positively seen as a way to provide much-needed time for riparian Governments to carry out comprehensive and more specific quantitative studies on all possible cumulative impacts,” emphasized Dr. Le Duc Trung, Head of the Vietnamese delegation.

Viet Nam added that the limited timeframe of the consultation process was inadequate to facilitate the achievement of the process. “The deferment would enable the country to secure better understanding and the confidence of the public and local communities,” said Mr. Duc Trung.