Chiang Mai Ram Parking

Tywais

I believe that the crunch is due to expansion of the building on the upper deck of the parking garage. That took away quite a number of parking spaces.

Nice to know there's "tuk tuk" service. The parking area is a bit of a walk. Last time at the hospital I noticed a multi-seat golf cart ferrying people away from the building.

Arriving from the south along the moat in the left-hand lane is not a problem because you can spot the parking lot and turn in. Looking at the map, however, if you are going the roundabout route indicated, the turn onto the road to return in a northerly direction is a little tricky because you have to get through possibly heavy traffic quickly to get to the left before the lot entrance, and I recall that the parking area entrance is not very far on from that turn.

Edited by Mapguy

Thanks for the heads up, but, a plain medical statement at Ram? Isn't that overkill? I typically pick the tiniest, shadiest hospital possible. Mor Wong Hospital for example, or anything else that people really avoid for anything that matters. In and out in 10 mins.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I had the same thing happen to me Sunday around 11 AM. I would guess two more reasons for the lack of space:

Increasing numbers of staff drive and park their own cars, rather than motorcycles.

There is a current pandemic of RSV virus going around right now, and Ram consistently appears to recommend hospitalization for younger children. So you get all the families staying with their kids at the hospital as well as relatives coming to visit...

Thanks for the heads up, but, a plain medical statement at Ram? Isn't that overkill? I typically pick the tiniest, shadiest hospital possible. Mor Wong Hospital for example, or anything else that people really avoid for anything that matters. In and out in 10 mins.

I guess the Ram is a bit like overkill. But hey for your 100 bahts they at least take your blood pressure and make sure your heart is still beating. Also in and out within 15 minutes.

I always went to the 60-100 Baht places but work permit renewal now requires an actual proof of a blood test indicating no syphilis. Last year tried the 'you're breathing, ok' certificate and was refused and they handed me a form of the requirements. I went to Ram and all I had to say was medical certificate for work and they knew exactly the requirements. Besides it was only 200 baht including the blood test. My last place had gone up over the years from 40-60-80 and now 100.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I was there for about 12 physical therapy visits and had no difficulty whatsoever parking on the 4th and 4-1/2 floors. Did see that it was frequently full or close to it and the attendant had cars park parallel behind those parked facing in and leave the hand brake off and in neutral so he could push it out of the way to let a car leave. That's what I call service!!

I believe that the crunch is due to expansion of the building on the upper deck of the parking garage. That took away quite a number of parking spaces.

Nice to know there's "tuk tuk" service. The parking area is a bit of a walk. Last time at the hospital I noticed a multi-seat golf cart ferrying people away from the building.................. the turn onto the road to return in a northerly direction is a little tricky because you have to get through possibly heavy traffic quickly to get to the left before the lot entrance, and I recall that the parking area entrance is not very far on from that turn.

I think you are referring to the old entrance. The new entrance is between the 1st cross over and the 2nd one.

If you come from the north (e.g., Huay Kaew road), you go inside the moat and go south to the Suan Dok gate (3rd cross overs from the north west corner of the moat). The 2nd cross over is blocked for U-turns from inside the moat.

Having made the U-turn at Suan Dok, you have plenty of time to get over to the left lane and then go past the 2nd cross over. The entrance is maybe 50 meters further on.

For those that might not know, return to the parking lot is arranged at the emergency desk. Ask one of the attendants and they will call for the tuk tuk or let you know it is already on its way.

There is a current pandemic of RSV virus going around right now, and Ram consistently appears to recommend hospitalization for younger children.

Yes I noticed that. My kids caught it too (one of them, at least), but the doctor (at Lanna) said that unless symptoms get worse, no need for hospitalization. She then proceeded with "take such and such medication, however it's very expensive here at the hospital, let me write that down for you so you can get it at a pharmacy.". Gotta love the gal.

• Like 1

Nice to know there's "tuk tuk" service. The parking area is a bit of a walk. Last time at the hospital I noticed a multi-seat golf cart ferrying people away from the building.................. the turn onto the road to return in a northerly direction is a little tricky because you have to get through possibly heavy traffic quickly to get to the left before the lot entrance, and I recall that the parking area entrance is not very far on from that turn.

I think you are referring to the old entrance. The new entrance is between the 1st cross over and the 2nd one.

If you come from the north (e.g., Huay Kaew road), you go inside the moat and go south to the Suan Dok gate (3rd cross overs from the north west corner of the moat). The 2nd cross over is blocked for U-turns from inside the moat.

Having made the U-turn at Suan Dok, you have plenty of time to get over to the left lane and then go past the 2nd cross over. The entrance is maybe 50 meters further on.

For those that might not know, return to the parking lot is arranged at the emergency desk. Ask one of the attendants and they will call for the tuk tuk or let you know it is already on its way.

Thanks! Looks a LOT safer! But too bad you have to go halfway to Hang Dong to get there! Does the "tuk tuk" (or hospital cart) follow the same route?

Does the "tuk tuk" (or hospital cart) follow the same route?

Not exactly. After picking you at at the parking lot, it comes out on the moat road going to Ram, drops you off at the front door, goes around to emergency, picks you up, goes around the back of the hospital, down the ramp, and then turns immediately RIGHT and follows that little soi adjacent to Ram towards Kad Suan Kaew for a 100 meters or so and then turn left and goes south along that soi into the back of the parking lot. So...main road going, back alleys on return. Never has to go inside the moat.

• Like 1