Speeding Girl Dies Of Broken Neck In Car Wreck

Rimmer

Noob7:

Strange, what was her boyfriend doing in the back seat?

"In the back seat of the Toyota was her badly injured boyfriend" (from the linked report)

Probably, a person sitting on the left front seat, would have had no chance, to survive.

End Noob7

I've heard before, that in major accidents, sometimes people can be ejected into another part of the car - such as the back seat - during the accident.

Especially if he was not wearing a seat belt, him flying a round maybe what broke her neck...

seems I was hasty in my prevoius post, according to PDN he stated he was in the back so less likley to have been the cause.

The guy in the pick up would've made it if he had worn a seatbelt!

What seems so sad he was conscious in hospital, holding his mobile phone in his right hand, and he seems to be lifting his left arm, with a neck brace lying on a hospital trolley with no or little attention and the next report says he has died.

I think seeing the windscreen on his truck being intact that it is almost certain he suffered internal injuries due to impacting the steering column.

What seems to be a a common cause of such accidents seems to be a national craze of mad driving.

Lots of speculation. My turn. The pickup looks recent enough to have airbags. Regardless, the G forces would have still been substantial, looking at the impact damage on the car. How sensitive was the pickup driver to the high G forces he experienced, airbag notwithstanding? Contrast the visible damage to the pickup with the severe damage to the car.

Unfortunately, the girl's sedan rotated 90 degrees clockwise after jumping the island and was side-impacted (aka T-boned). This type of impact is probably much worse than a head-on (front-to-front) collision because the steering wheel airbag would not have protected her head from being thrown violently to her left due to the high G forces while her body (if restrained by seat and restraining belts) remained relatively in-place. The boyfriend was thrown violently toward the left interior without airbag protection. The fact that he survived may indicate that he was using restraining belts.

I suspect that her boyfriend's position in the rear seat had contributed to her losing control and hitting the island. Perhaps she turned to talk or look at him or there was some other distraction? If the island was actually on curved road and the road was wet, etc., that might explain why she hit island while distracted.

I recall hitting raised traffic islands myself three times for three different reasons in 50 years of driving. Thankfully, none of them occurred at high speed, nor did I jump the island into the paths of oncoming vehicles. Fortunately, the only fatalities were three left tires and two alloy rims.

Edited by MaxYakov

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad, yet again. I wonder if she was also on the phone or texting to her friends that she was going to be late? The amount of people, thai and farang, on phones, reading, writing on them, going round corners, going fast, often wobling or out of lane is crazy. I know in the uk at the scene of accidents the first thing (after the emergency stuff i guess) the cops do is check if the drivers were using phones as it's such a common cause of accidents. Folk here seem to think it's cool. It's not, it's stupid.

Maybe she was putting on her make-up.

Why does it seem that Thai parents are more concerned to teach their children to fear ghosts than to fear the dangers of unsafe driving? Seems every Thai I know is afraid of ghosts but none have any concern with driving around with no helmets, safety belts, safety car seats for young children. This has never made any sense to me.

Imagine if she were you daughter... so sad for the family

This compliments my reactions to this and all other tragedies, accidents or whatever involving our young.

My daughter is 18 and has just started her second semester at university and evertime this happens especially when they are studying it hits me very hard indeed, triggering off my gut wrenching reactions and it take days to get back to normal.

Many of our members as a first instance also have young daughters and sons and god knows what we would feel like had it been one of our own.

So once again I ask for respect, compassion and empathy to once again consider this as we always do in these tragic circumstances and indeed is already happening.

marshbags rolleyes.gif

Edited by marshbags

Imagine if she were you daughter... so sad for the family

This compliments my reactions to this and all other tragedies, accidents or whatever involving our young.

My daughter is 18 and has just started her second semester at university and evertime this happens especially when they are studying it hits me very hard indeed, triggering off my gut wrenching reactions and it take days to get back to normal.

Many of our members as a first instance also have young daughters and sons and god knows what we would feel like had it been one of our own.

So once again I ask for respect, compassion and empathy to once again consider this as we always do in these tragic circumstances and indeed is already happening.

marshbags rolleyes.gif

I,m not saying we should not debate it by the way, just the application of sensitivity and holding back on silly remarks that IMHO do not belong here would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Why does it seem that Thai parents are more concerned to teach their children to fear ghosts than to fear the dangers of unsafe driving? Seems every Thai I know is afraid of ghosts but none have any concern with driving around with no helmets, safety belts, safety car seats for young children. This has never made any sense to me.

Could it be the childlike nature of the (uneducated?) Thai mentality? My minimally-educated (by her own choice) Thai GF typically worries about the wrong threats and they even go beyond the fear of ghosts. Anyway, while doing a simple search of ghosts in Thai culture, ran across this site with interesting articles on Thai ghosts:

http://parasearcher....ai-culture.html

Back on-topic, does anyone who knows that road can tell us if there is some kind of barrier (such as a 1- meter-high, corrugated metal barrier) on the traffic island that the car jumped?

On a visa run coming down from Laos on a (the?) major freeway, I noticed that the only thing separating northbound/southbound lanes was a shallow gully without any barriers or a wide expanse. I also noticed that the van driver was trying to maintain 120k KPH. I bailed at the next rest stop and ended up hitching a ride with a much more sedate traveling tire salesman and taking a NCA bus from Kohn Kaen to Bangkok. Overreacted? Maybe. But I sure love those NCA buses now.

My GF uses NCA exclusively now because she was recently on a non-NCA bus from Si Sa Ket that went off the road and rolled on it's side giving her severe body bruises. She had her son with her and they were both very lucky to not have severe injuries. The driver probably fell asleep.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

Even with a seat belt, sudden decelerations can lead to mortal injury. They are known to tear major internal vessels and can easily cause c spine fractures.

A Volvo study showed min speed for fatality w/o seat belts - 12 mph. With - 42 mph.

E = 1/2 mv2 - 12.25 times the energy at 42 mph. Seat belts much better than not.

Edited by Screws
  • Like 2

Could it be the childlike nature of the (uneducated?) Thai mentality? My minimally-educated (by her own choice) Thai GF typically worries about the wrong threats and they even go beyond the fear of ghosts. Anyway, while doing a simple search of ghosts in Thai culture, ran across this site with interesting articles on Thai ghosts:

http://parasearcher....ai-culture.html

Back on-topic, does anyone who knows that road can tell us if there is some kind of barrier (such as a 1- meter-high, corrugated metal barrier) on the traffic island that the car jumped?

On a visa run coming down from Laos on a (the?) major freeway, I noticed that the only thing separating northbound/southbound lanes was a shallow gully without any barriers or a wide expanse. I also noticed that the van driver was trying to maintain 120k KPH. I bailed at the next rest stop and ended up hitching a ride with a much more sedate traveling tire salesman and taking a NCA bus from Kohn Kaen to Bangkok. Overreacted? Maybe. But I sure love those NCA buses now.

My GF uses NCA exclusively now because she was recently on a non-NCA bus from Si Sa Ket that went off the road and rolled on it's side giving her severe body bruises. She had her son with her and they were both very lucky to not have severe injuries. The driver probably fell asleep.

Without driver education courses, public service announcements, and strict licensing requirements the general population is ignorant of the inherent dangers of "no helmet," "no seat belts," "no child safety seats," "no turn signal," etc.
  • Like 1

[ snipped my largely off-topic, experiential monolog ]

Without driver education courses, public service announcements, and strict licensing requirements the general population is ignorant of the inherent dangers of "no helmet," "no seat belts," "no child safety seats," "no turn signal," etc.

The 'School of (sometimes fatal) Hard Knocks'? Another element of Thai culture?

Strange, what was her boyfriend doing in the back seat?

"In the back seat of the Toyota was her badly injured boyfriend" (from the linked report)

Probably, a person sitting on the left front seat, would have had no chance, to survive.

Maybe the impact threw him there.

Very sad, yet again. I wonder if she was also on the phone or texting to her friends that she was going to be late? The amount of people, thai and farang, on phones, reading, writing on them, going round corners, going fast, often wobling or out of lane is crazy. I know in the uk at the scene of accidents the first thing (after the emergency stuff i guess) the cops do is check if the drivers were using phones as it's such a common cause of accidents. Folk here seem to think it's cool. It's not, it's stupid.

Maybe she was putting on her make-up.

Maybe she wasn't doing anything at all?

Owner of car, male, sitting in the back, his girlfriend drives.

Accident, 'driver' killed, case closed.

No further investigation needed.

Got it?

Basically, it is down to bad driving. The Thai people genuinely don't know they are bad drivers as those who train and test them are also bad drivers. It's a sad waste of life and one that is avoidable but Thailand has one of the worst road safety records in the world and that will continue unless it is addressed. I have no faith in this as corruption is king and buying a licence is easier than gaining tuition.

It's sad but it is also predictable and it will happen again and again.

I do not agree! I have been driving here for the last 22 years and must admit that Thai drivers have dramatically improved and have reached a very fair level of safety knowledge and careful driving. Much better than in neighbouring countries like Cambodia and Laos. There are always exceptions but they do not make the rule. And still some bad habits cannot get eradicated, like driving for 200 or 500 meters in the opposite direction to save some distance in avoiding the next U-turn. Even police is doing this!

Basically, it is down to bad driving. The Thai people genuinely don't know they are bad drivers as those who train and test them are also bad drivers. It's a sad waste of life and one that is avoidable but Thailand has one of the worst road safety records in the world and that will continue unless it is addressed. I have no faith in this as corruption is king and buying a licence is easier than gaining tuition.

I do not agree! I have been driving here for the last 22 years and must admit that Thai drivers have dramatically improved and have reached a very fair level of safety knowledge and careful driving. Much better than in neighbouring countries like Cambodia and Laos. There are always exceptions but they do not make the rule. And still some bad habits cannot get eradicated, like driving for 200 or 500 meters in the opposite direction to save some distance in avoiding the next U-turn. Even police is doing this!

You can disagree as much as you like 007 but you are wrong. Yours is not a professional opinion, just an observation. All countries improve which is a relative term but Cambodia has been commended by the UN/WHO for its efforts in road safety whereas Thailand has been heavily criticized for it's lack of effort and appllcation. As for comparing Thailand to Laos, well, get real!

It's only in the last week or so that an experienced bus driver went off what looked like a straightforward dual carriageway road into a tree in the UK killing several.

Accidents happen for a variety of reasons, and they will continue to do so.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

The difference between the U.K. and Thailand is that, many accidents are avoidable.

The UK ensures via education and a required amount of on hands supervision by proven registered instructors in the main followed by strict testing of drivers to prove they have a competent ability to drive and a real knowledge of the highway code before being allowed on the road, ect. ect.

The laws are strictly enforced without favour and all are accountable no matter who they are, when it is proved traffic offences have been committed and sentenced accordingly.

By the way in the U.K. those who are considered a certain higher level in society in many cases get harsher punishments when successfully proved to have broken whatever laws, especially on the roads.

Jail is jail once convicted and most certainly unlimited bail does not apply to escape punishment.

Thailand on the other hand have non of the above for learner drivers and this is the main reason for many of the tragic accidents as has happened on this occasion. IMHO

Due to the lack of accountability, especially for more serious accidents and fatalities among the so called elite, their becomes a state of mind that it doesn,t matter and this in turn creates the embedded culture of the many years indifference to safe competent driving and obeyance of the traffic laws.

If these people got their deserved punishments, I feel sure the rest of society would get the message that no one is above the law and this would also act as a deterrent and help get the message across.

Education, pre driver training and a proper meaningful test to prove their ablity and competence.

Strict policing and obeyance of the Thai Highway code would also do for starters.

Until then scenarious such as the OP highlights will continue on a regular basis I,m sad to say.

marshbags sad.png

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

How tragic this accident is.

I will never get used to these happenings that constantly take place and especially when young poeple are involved.

The anguish and heartache her parents and all the others in similar circumstances feel must be unbearable.

The fact that she lost control of a speeding vehicle does not in any way make it easier for them, nor for the majority of caring people.

She didn,t have criminal intent, just a young lady who didn,t have the experience or skill to even try to correct her misjudgements.

My stomach as in this case is in knots at the moment and it will be some time before I can get it out of my mind.

How very sad I feel for not only the young girl, but her loved ones left to pick up the pieces.

Hand on heart fellow members, how many of us have driven at speed sometime or other and could have been a possible victim.

I,m not a speed merchant, but at times I,ve gone faster than I should have when being a bit late for something or other when comming upon or approaching an unfamilar bend, ect, ect.

She has paid the ultimate price and I feel confident our compassion and empathy will echo our sadness and thoughts on the thread in the majority of posts.

How many more I ask myself. and yes I know it will not get better anytime soon, but I pray it does everytime.

May you rest in peace young lady and be blessed in your next life.

marshbags wai.gif

Yes very sad, also very sad for the family of the other person she killed......!

Yes, a sad and unnecessary waste of a life. But why did she speed? Why did she take a risk on a bend? The real blame lies with poor training and ever poorer testing.

Only today I watched a large truck pull uo to a junction and signal left, for such a long vehicle left it needs to swing right first, as it signalled left a motorcycle with two kids (yes kids that should not be riding but the police dont give shit) went in the inside, they were lucky not to be crushed, they had to mount the kerb.

Thai drive on their reactions without any form of anticipation. Get used to it because successive governments dont care, the police dont care, parents dont care because they will buy a licence or get cheap innefective lessons, The girl died of ignorance.

• Like 1

They are not accidents, it is negligence. The girl was going to fast for the conditions. The bus driver in uk had a heart attack. I deal in facts and facts only.

First of all it is important that I offer my apologies for not noting the later report that sadly their are now 2 fatalities from this accident due to not rereading previous read posts and missing the later article.

May you also RIP and I humbly offer my sincere condolences to all those effected, especially the loved ones

marshbags sad.png

They are not accidents, it is negligence. The girl was going to fast for the conditions. The bus driver in uk had a heart attack. I deal in facts and facts only.

Namrong this was a pure accident and I offer, after much research, the following which best describes the interpretation of it,s meaning courteousy of Wikipedia and I quote.

" An accident or mishap is an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack of intention or necessity. It usually implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.

Experts in the field of injury prevention avoid use of the term 'accident' to describe events that cause injury in an attempt to highlight the predictable and preventable nature of most injuries. Such incidents are viewed from the perspective of epidemiology - predictable and preventable. Preferred words are more descriptive of the event itself, rather than of its unintended nature (e.g., collision, drowning, fall, etc.)" unquote

In relation to the negligence I offer what I consider best pinpoints and explains were I consider it lies and I quote.

" Accidents of particularly common types (crashing of automobiles, events causing fire, etc.) are investigated to identify how to avoid them in the future. This is sometimes called root cause analysis, but does not generally apply to accidents that cannot be deterministically predicted. A root cause of an uncommon and purely random accident may never be identified, and thus future similar accidents remain "accidental. " unquote

For me it puts much of it were it belongs, this being first and foremost with government and other respective authorities ect. ect. at the root of the repetative carnage we witness daily on the roads in relation to accidents and not acting in a responsible way to find ways of preventing them happening / cutting them down to a minimum.

The evidence of this lies in the OP whereby for as long as can remember that this has been happening and backed up with horrendous photographic evidence yet here we are 20 years on from when I first came here with not one meaningful iota of change in the prevention off and the inbedded mindset of everyone responsible in one way or another.

In the earlier years the photo,s and reports in the media were much more graphic and left nothing censored out and yet nobody seemed to care, act or even think about how to prevent it all.

Plenty of repetative empty promises but totally lacking in real genuine substance. IMHO.

marshbags mellow.png

Edited by marshbags

marshbags rolleyes.gif

I,m not saying we should not debate it by the way, just the application of sensitivity and holding back on silly remarks that IMHO do not belong here would be appreciated.

And not just for the young in my view.

marshbags I know what an accident is and there are many definitions. I'm a uk certified accident investigator. And we no longer refer to them as accident but crashes and incidents. I don't care what the Thai police say, they are irrelevant and poorly trained. Thailand is not accepted into the UK/WHO road safety league table as Thailand is non-compliant.

I wasn't an accident it was negligence, it an incident that could easily have been avoided and one that involved unnecessary risk.

It happens hundreds of times every week in Thailand and will continue to happen until people like you learn to take responsibility for your actions.

marshbags I know what an accident is and there are many definitions. I'm a uk certified accident investigator. And we no longer refer to them as accident but crashes and incidents. I don't care what the Thai police say, they are irrelevant and poorly trained. Thailand is not accepted into the UK/WHO road safety league table as Thailand is non-compliant.

I wasn't an accident it was negligence, it an incident that could easily have been avoided and one that involved unnecessary risk.

It happens hundreds of times every week in Thailand and will continue to happen until people like you learn to take responsibility for your actions.

You are in Thailand.. so you better care what the Thai police says. If they say according to their law its an accident then you as a farang with different rules have nothing to say. Your laws and tests are not valid here. Learn to live with it.

You cant say but in the UK... you are not in the UK different rules here better accept it or move.

Robbok Im not stupid and there one law that covers every country- the laws of physics. Don't lecture me because your country is backward in road safety or your police are corrupt. Don't defend the undefensible. A young woman dies because she was incompetent and mire will follow until people are trained and tested properly and dont buy licences. Thailand has one of the highest crash/accident rates in the world and it shows no sign of improving. The uk is then world leader in road safety; try and learn something from this.

robblok I accept what you say to a degree because it is well meaning but I;ve been here 6 years and know very well about losing face. It's sometimes, only sometimes, better to loose face than lose a life. And if someone is intent on taking someone elses life and they lose theirs in the process (terrorists) then they deserve to die.

We are all here because we love the country and the people but no one can justify an unnecessary death and it's the naivety of the comments not the ignorance that come from Thais.

I've not seen the police report but I understand she dies of a broken neck. If that is true then I can tell you with about 90% certainty she wasn't wearing a seatbelt and if she had it is very unlikely she would have broken her neck.

Robbok - honest question 0 do you always wear a seatbelt? I do, and everyone that gets into my car does no matter if it's front or back. Yes I got the weird comments but they've (Thai friends) have got used to it.

robblok I accept what you say to a degree because it is well meaning but I;ve been here 6 years and know very well about losing face. It's sometimes, only sometimes, better to loose face than lose a life. And if someone is intent on taking someone elses life and they lose theirs in the process (terrorists) then they deserve to die.

We are all here because we love the country and the people but no one can justify an unnecessary death and it's the naivety of the comments not the ignorance that come from Thais.

I've not seen the police report but I understand she dies of a broken neck. If that is true then I can tell you with about 90% certainty she wasn't wearing a seatbelt and if she had it is very unlikely she would have broken her neck.

Robbok - honest question 0 do you always wear a seatbelt? I do, and everyone that gets into my car does no matter if it's front or back. Yes I got the weird comments but they've (Thai friends) have got used to it.

I always wear a seatbelt 100% of the time as did my gf recently it saved our life when she crashed in a concrete pilon with me next to her (she fell asleep) .

But i still see this as an accident.. she might have done things to make it worse for her but she never intended this. I too get angry especially int he case of the ferrari driver and such when others get killed.

I have been here 7 years and i just know that someone telling Thais what to do wont work. I also know that Thailand will get better standards as the wages increase and slowly it turns into a first world. But other then that i don't see any immediate improvement.

When im on the bike i really love it but its dangerous and i see all kinds of crazy things and things that threaten me. I accept it, i dont like it but sometimes the bike is just easier then the car.

Thing is your attitude got on my nerves, but like you i would love to see things improve. I just don't think it will come from a foreigner but from Thais themselves in time. But not soon.

Robblok I'm glad to hear that. I'm not surprised when the 'accident' word pops up but that is through genuine ignorance. There is no such thing as accident black spots in uk anymore, they are high risk scenes. At the start of every investigation of an RTA the investigator must ask two questions;

1. Is there anything that could have been done to avoid this crash - the answer will always be yes but there could be many contributing factors.

2. What would I have done differently? Bear in mind that uk RTA investigations are all advanced drivers and some are advanced instructors/examiners as I am (IAM & Diamond).

Speed alone isn't the biggest factor and the public assume when they read the word or term 'speeding' that they were breaking the speed limit. Most collisions are below the speed limit but 'too fast for the conditions'! If a vehicle is travelling at 40 kmph and accelerates to 60 it will take much longer to stop than a vehicle travelling at a constant 80 kmph.

I have asked many questions to my neighbour and really pissed him off because he doesn't know the answer. This is a former senior police officer who tells me..we never investigate to that depth, we've not had that training -and he is correct!

My point is she may have been under the speed limit therefore she would (and others) that she was driving good). The positioning of the vehicle prior to the crash is a giveaway; I won't go into technical details but you can buy ;Roadcraft' the uk police drivers handbook from Amazon, it has a whole chapter on vehicle positioning and this is one of many publications referred to in court by accident investigators. It doesn't matter what country it is the laws of physics are the same and nobody can be above that law.