Muslim Protests - Us Consulate - Wed Sept 19

Mestizo

FYI,

After 700 muslim protesters gathered in front of the US Embassy and burned US Flags in Bangkok today, they now plan to do the same in Chiang Mai tomorrow. Below is the Emergency Message posted by the US Consulate.

-Mestizo

http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/091912emergencymessage.html

he U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai, Thailand, has been informed by local authorities of a possible gathering of persons outside the Consulate General during the morning of Wednesday, September 19, which may disrupt traffic in the area. Consequently, the Consular Section of the Consulate General will be closed to the public on September 19. Routine American Citizen Services will not be available. Visa appointments are being rescheduled for a later date.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is not aware at this time of any specific threat to U.S. citizens in the consular district. As a general precaution, the U.S. Consulate General advises you to exercise caution and to be aware of your surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. You should avoid areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations or large gatherings. You should monitor local media to keep updated with the latest information about demonstrations and areas to avoid.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call the U.S. Consulate General at (66) 053-107700 or visit the U.S. Citizens Service website athttp://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/. We will post the most updated information on the website.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at http://www.travel.state.gov/. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the embassy or nearest consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Regularly monitor the Department of State's website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read theCountry Specific Information for Thailand. For additional information, refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad.”

Contact the US Embassy in Bangkok or Consulate General Chiang Mai for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and download our free Smart Traveler iPhone App to have travel information at your fingertips.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what a bloody palava, those bloody lot have nothing better to do than making busy roads busier!

boring!

I love a good palava, with whipped cream and pineapple topping served with vanilla icecream, ! Probably not a good day to go to tomoz, huh?

Edited by onthedarkside
Thai speak removed

Well, I have an appt scheduled at the CM American consulate for the day after, Thursday 20 November.

Gotta get the income verification letter for my annual retirement extension renewal.

Of course, all the above appts were booked months ago, on a very tight time window (consular letter good for a month, bank letters good for 7 days, CM Imm appt graven in stone for 2 days before expiry date).

If I encounter either demonstrators impeding my access, or a closed consulate...I might have to go Rambo-

post-23786-0-50332400-1347975709_thumb.j

whistling.gif

• Like 1

The Muslims are not happy!

They're not happy in Gaza ..

They're not happy in Egypt ..

They're not happy in Libya ..

They're not happy in Morocco ..

They're not happy in Iran ..

They're not happy in Iraq ..

They're not happy in Yemen ..

They're not happy in Afghanistan ..

They're not happy in Pakistan ..

They're not happy in Syria ..

They're not happy in Lebanon ..

So, where are they happy?

;

They're happy in Australia .

They're happy in Canada.

They're happy in England ..

They're happy in France ..

They're happy in Italy ..

They're happy in Germany ..

They're happy in Sweden ..

They're happy in the USA ..

They're happy in Norway ..

They're happy in Holland .

They're happy in Denmark .

Basically, they're happy in every country that is not Muslim and unhappy in every country that is!

And who do they blame?

Not Islam.

Not their leadership.

Not themselves.

THEY BLAME THE COUNTRIES THEY ARE HAPPY IN!

AND THEN; They want to change those countries to be like....

THE COUNTRY THEY CAME FROM WHERE THEY WERE UNHAPPY!

Excuse me, but I can't help wondering...

How dam_n dumb can you get?

How can l vote to like this twice. thumbsup.gif ..........smile.png

I'm with transam on that.

+2

David

• Like 2

Well, I have an appt scheduled at the CM American consulate for the day after, Thursday 20 November.

Gotta get the income verification letter for my annual retirement extension renewal.

Of course, all the above appts were booked months ago, on a very tight time window (consular letter good for a month, bank letters good for 7 days, CM Imm appt graven in stone for 2 days before expiry date).

If I encounter either demonstrators impeding my access, or a closed consulate...I might have to go Rambo-

whistling.gif

mcgriffith

I think they will be through by November 20 since they are planning on starting on September 20. biggrin.png

David

Edited by Genericnic
  • Like 1

No worries, Genericnic, I'll go down, and if no service will just make other plans (there always is a plan bee).

Doing the annual extension is always stressful to me (not for others I know).

I'll just try to be calm, and whistle a happy tune- cue the theme from the Andy Griffith Show...smile.png

post-23786-0-41955900-1347977658_thumb.j

Seem to be a lot more Muslims around Chiang Mai these days, so maybe they will get a good turn out. The one in Sydney lately went really well with riots, hospitalised police and arrests. The high point though, as reported by the local press, was the 8 year old girl who gave a stirring speech about her love for Jihad (we can all relate to that), and the young boy carrying a sign calling for the beheading of anyone that offends Islam (my personal favourite). Seems the next Muslim generation are turning out as Aussie as Crocofile Dundee, a triumph of multiculturalism..

My favourite was the protestor in London whose banner read "Behead all of those who call Islam a violent religion". I think he had a bit of a sense of humour.

(Or maybe the bloke who photoshopped it did).

Edited by Chicog

Wish they had been kind enough to list the time for the demonstration here in CNX. I might have wandered down with my camera. I have never been able to shoot a gathering of crazies that have escaped from the nuthouse. Not worth waisting a whole day for though.

David

;

They're happy in Canada.

Basically, they're happy in every country that is not Muslim and unhappy in every country that is!

And who do they blame?

Not Islam.

Not their leadership.

Not themselves.

You hit the nail right on the head.Good post.

whistling.gif

Something tells me you don't look like 1980's Stallone. whistling.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

;

They're happy in Canada.

And who do they blame?

Not Islam.

Not their leadership.

Not themselves.

How can l vote to like this twice. thumbsup.gif ..........smile.png

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I don't see how this is a big deal; sad dude makes a amateurish straight-to-Youtube vid that many Muslims find offensive. In return a handful of equally sad mofos organize a protest and engage in equally offensive behavior (burning of flags and sh1t). Afterwards, everyone goes home and congratulate themselves for 'making a statement'.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I'm so glad I set my appointment for Thursday! Gotta get that letter on time.

I ate across the soi from the mosque tonight, and detected no tension. I was there just before things blew up in Benghazi, and it was a different story. A group of men drinking tea were loudly discussing the Great Satan, and the youngest member of the group made a point to address me and ask if I was bothered by the discussion.

I wasn't, and said so, but I admit I tried to look Canadian.

I'm so glad I set my appointment for Thursday! Gotta get that letter on time.

I ate across the soi from the mosque tonight, and detected no tension. I was there just before things blew up in Benghazi, and it was a different story. A group of men drinking tea were loudly discussing the Great Satan, and the youngest member of the group made a point to address me and ask if I was bothered by the discussion.

I wasn't, and said so, but I admit I tried to look Canadian.

Tried to look Canadian? Did you have a donut in your hand? biggrin.png

David

• Like 2