Hundreds Of Thai Muslims Protest At U S Embassy In Bangkok

webfact

Hundreds of Thai Muslims protest at US Embassy in Bangkok

By Nicholas Altstadt

usa.jpg

Photo: Nicholas Altstadt

BANGKOK: -- Thai muslims today joined the chorus of worldwide anger at an American-made anti-Islam film by protesting today at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok.

The driving monsoon rains did little to stifle the enthusiasm of the roughly 500 demonstrators as they marched from Lumphini Park toward the Embassy, where fiery speeches were delivered from a speaker festooned truck.

The message, although clear in its anger and desire for the demise of the U.S., was peaceful, with speakers – in both English language and Thai – stating that they were there to “stop the hate”.

One speaker denounced the film – a low-budget disaster turned worse depicting the Muslim prophet Muhammad as an imbecilic sex pest – by saying: “We are here to peacefully protest this film… [which] you have the nerve to call freedom of speech?” he said, before chanting “We hate hate” and “You are war criminals”.

There was roughly equal representation with two separate contingents of male and female protesters hoisting placards that read, “We love Muhammad,” “Down with America,” and “We respect all religions,” and “Down with Israel”, among a variety of others depicting scenes of war in the Middle East.

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...ssy-in-bangkok/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-09-18

footer_n.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After wrapping up the demonstration, protesters gave themselves a round of applause, thanked the Embassy for cooperating with the protest and made their ways home in the rain, in true Thai spirit.

Here was me thinking that the 'true Thai spirit' of protests was financial incentive, violence and general unruly belligerence.

I am glad it was a peaceful rally. Just what does Israel have to do with all of this? I assume they just threw that in for good measure. Really wouldn't be much of a rally if they only hate America.

I've not seen much organization on the part of Muslims in Thailand. This could be a forerunner to more political action on the part of Muslims and that might be a little bit of a problem for Thailand.

• Like 1

I just cannot comprehend why these protestors are demonstrating again the US government. As I understand, the film was made by a guy born in Egypt who happens to now live in USA. It was done with no government support or sponsorship.

If this guy was living in Paris or Montreal, would they be protesting outside the France or Canadian Embassy. I think not. I am definitely not American nor pro American but cannot see the logic of these protests.

Protest against the U.S. and it grabs news headlines worldwide; protest against most any other country and it might get a few tweets.

<snip>

What a joke. I feel sorry for how ignorant they are.

That is the nature of sheep.

The protest should have been about the film, not about Israel/USA (I think they deserve their own protest!). The US Embassy was perhaps what the leaders considered to the most suitable place for the protest for some reason, which I doubt was justified.

If some idiot in another country made a derogatory film about HM The King, I would be joining the millions of Thais that would be protesting outside that country's embassy.

Still though, the protest was peaceful... somehow shows the much-demonised Thai muslim community in a better light than all of the internal political ones.

• Like 2

I want Facebook, Youtube, Twitter,.i-Phone and all the other social networks that were created in the United States, to be pulled out/ stopped being allowed to be used in Islamic countries since these people do not understand freedom of speech or tollerance.

• Like 2

The film has nothing to do with it according to the President of Libya who state that the attacks were planned for 9/11. What was the reason for destroying US embassy property, killing Americans, and burning the US flags? They say that "they respect all religions," but they also carry a sign next to it stating "down with Israel." - It's clearly the Muslim Brotherhood and radials behind these violent demonstrations. Maybe the demonstration in Bangkok was more peaceful, but what's the deal on the "down with Israel" sign and what did America do that's being protested?

"the Muslim Brotherhood and radials"

I am getting tired of these "radials"!

Edited by ratcatcher

The film has nothing to do with it according to the President of Libya who state that the attacks were planned for 9/11. What was the reason for destroying US embassy property, killing Americans, and burning the US flags? They say that "they respect all religions," but they also carry a sign next to it stating "down with Israel." - It's clearly the Muslim Brotherhood and radials behind these violent demonstrations. Maybe the demonstration in Bangkok was more peaceful, but what's the deal on the "down with Israel" sign and what did America do that's being protested?

"the Muslim Brotherhood and radials"

I am getting tired of these "radials"!

Yep, remember those cross-ply days. thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

well I hope they were more civilised than they were in Australia and didn't use young children to spread hatred. In Sydney they had an 8 yr old girl addressing a group to rise up against infidels and calling for a Jihad (Brainwashed child) and 4 yr olds carrying signs demanding death. Child protection are now involved.

I just cannot comprehend why these protestors are demonstrating again the US government. As I understand, the film was made by a guy born in Egypt who happens to now live in USA. It was done with no government support or sponsorship.

If this guy was living in Paris or Montreal, would they be protesting outside the France or Canadian Embassy. I think not. I am definitely not American nor pro American but cannot see the logic of these protests.

Personally I just do not understand Islam. A a Muslim proffessor said in Australia she also doesn't know what exactly they are protesting against the U.S for either.

• Like 1