The Villa - Half The Food At Triple The Price

TheShockMaster

This thread carries the title: "Half the food at triple the prices".

I just spent 1888 baht there. Worked out that my basket of goodies saved me 400 baht compared to Foodland for the same items, and part of the bill was 666 baht for 3 packets of raw cashews of a quality not available in Foodland so no comparison could be made on those items...... therefore, subtracting them from the bill... from a total bill of 1222 baht I saved 400 baht.

What were people saying? No bargains at Villa?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent 1888 baht there. Worked out that my basket of goodies saved me 400 baht compared to Foodland for the same items, and part of the bill was 666 baht for 3 packets of raw cashews of a quality not available in Foodland so no comparison could be made on those items...... therefore, subtracting them from the bill... from a total bill of 1222 baht I saved 400 baht.

Gee, that's great! So what did you buy -- three tomatoes and a cucumber? With what I save by NOT shopping at Villa, I just today put a deposit on my new MB C250 -- delivery in 3 months! Enjoy your mint jelly.I'll enjoy my "bland" lifestyle. You give me a headache!

Amazing. Villa 30% cheaper than foodland, which hardly can called expensive for the quality they maintain.Must be that Villa is closing shop and selling out, or were it all items with the expiry date near?

Could you may be name a few of the products you bought and their bargain price at Villa?

Amazing. Villa 30% cheaper than foodland, which hardly can called expensive for the quality they maintain.Must be that Villa is closing shop and selling out, or were it all items with the expiry date near?

Could you may be name a few of the products you bought and their bargain price at Villa?

No, they're not closing - just regular items.

Some examples:

1. 500g Bulla low fat cottage cheese - 190 baht. Everywhere else 200 g = 115 baht. Bought 1kg = 380 baht. Other stores 1kg = 575 baht. Saving = 185 baht. This is a regular item with nearly a month to expiry.

2. Gravenstein apple sauce 709g = 115 baht. Foodland = 147, Friendship = 125. Expiry August 2013.

3. California Premium Monterey Jack and Mozzarella cheese 226g blocks = 105 baht.

I've seen many items at better prices than anywhere else. Just have a good look around and you'll find them. Bear in mind that many items will not be found anywhere else so no comparison is possible.

The point I'm making is not that it is the cheapest supermarket in town, just that people should not automatically write it off because they were shocked to see the price on some items.

The title of this thread is an extreme exaggeration and I'm surprised that it has been allowed to stay up.

Just a heads up for any boxed cereal lovers, there's a special on Corn Flakes (375g) marked down from 225 to 169, Special K (510g) marked down form 286 to 209.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

The Villa food counter serves up the best LadNa (noodles/gravy) in town.

villa food counter is so overpriced, kiss food quality with fine dining prices sad.png

Kiss food. lol. full of cheapy charlies or those here on a very tight budget.

cheap charlies, lol . I never go there as I think it's way too expensive and now that they added VAT to the prices it feels like a total rip-off to me bah.gif I must be a real cheap charlie tongue.png

Well yes you are. Whenever i see you post it's always to do with cheapest this , cheapest that. Do you search the bins as you walk round looking for the best deals in town. Kiss food is just cheap crap like most Thai food. Amazingly it's always full when i walk past so one would assume there's loads of cheapy charlies in Pattaya. Most look like budget tourists but there's always a few bar girls in there with tonights hansum man. She's generally got 6 plates of crap of which she'll finish none He's usually got a face as long as Sukhumvit Road waiting for her to finish and get back to the hotel.

Edited by nanapong
  • Like 1

but there's always a few bar girls in there with tonights hansum man. She's generally got 6 plates of crap of which she'll finish none He's usually got a face as long as Sukhumvit Road waiting for her to finish and get back to the hotel.

.. and why not? She may as well make the most of a bad night.laugh.png

• Like 1

Gee, that's great! So what did you buy -- three tomatoes and a cucumber? With what I save by NOT shopping at Villa, I just today put a deposit on my new MB C250 -- delivery in 3 months! Enjoy your mint jelly.I'll enjoy my "bland" lifestyle. You give me a headache!

OH CRINGEEEEEEEEEEEEE C250 hahahahahha if your going to gloat about a car at least do one that is not just another common motor. I had one in england I finish paying for it in 2 months it was nothing special. Range rover next :) thats with also shopping at villa. C250 haaaaaaaa

There was no mint jelly in that shopping cart - just regular items. You are a headache!!!

And I have a headache now just reading this bah.gif

Did you know that mint jelly is beneficial for headaches ? tongue.png

Spearmint leaves are common herbal remedies for headaches, fevers and problems of the digestive system like excess gas formation and stomach ache. This health benefit can be obtained by drinking spearmint tea.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/spearmint-leaves.html

I stopped shopping at all the foreign orientated supermarkets in Pattaya, except Foodland, after seeing staff in two of them using acetone to clean off "use by" dates on deli produce and applying their own sticky label "use by" labels for dates up to three weeks ahead.

There are some real hooror stories lurking on the fresh meat counters too.

When I want a choice of cheeses and cold meats I now pop into Mercato whilst in KL and carry back home to thailand.

When I want a choice of cheeses and cold meats I now pop into Mercato whilst in KL and carry back home to thailand.

You buy your meats and cheeses from another country for consumption in Thailand?

You buy your meats and cheeses from another country for consumption in Thailand?

I can only assume he does the same as I do.

Pepperoni, salami and bratwurst cold meats.

And for cheese, at least 10 kilos at a time.

Never had a problem at Bkk.

What a great idea - I'll fly to Malaysia next time I need a leg of lamb, cheese or a beef roast. I better buy some stock of mint sauce there too because someone at Villa may have changed the use by date with acetone.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

What a great idea - I'll fly to Malaysia next time I need a leg of lamb, cheese or a beef roast. I better buy some stock of mint sauce there too because someone at Villa may have changed the use by date with acetone.

It's amazing how some people manage to survive at all out here! rolleyes.gif

More choice in kl, betterquality and fresher, im there once a month, as the ma.n said never problem with customs

Cheating and cutting corners are a way of life for many businesses here, its simply less hassle to shop at mercato than having to scrutinise every item on my trolley in thailand

I'm sorry, but flying out of country to buy groceries is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. Even if I went to KL once a month I wouldn't be buying groceries. I'm flying to Australia next week - I can guarantee you I will not be bringing back groceries.

I find shopping in Pattaya easy and convenient.

wow playing the Mercedes card, haven't you got my respect, not least for saving it until it was worth playing.

wow playing the Mercedes card, haven't you got my respect, not least for saving it until it was worth playing.

Yeah, it was pretty lame posting about it in a thread about Villa Market.

I initially thought he was talking about a Motor Bike Cbr 250

So did I, but now that we know he's actually talking about a 1.6 million baht car it's understandable that he wanted some excuse to post about it. Isn't that a fairly cheap Mercedes model?... and we also get some idea why he's getting headaches - he's on a strict dietbiggrin.png saving up for it.

"I'm not cheap, you understand

I'm just a cut price person in a low budget land

Excuse my shoes they don't quite fit

They're a special offer and they hurt me a bit

Even my trousers are giving me pain

They were reduced in a sale so I shouldn't complain

They squeeze me so tight so I can't take no more

They're size 28 but I take 34"

By:

The Kinks

I don't shop at Villa as I'm a bit too thrifty

I'll drive to the discount place in my MB C250

Edited by pauljones
  • Like 1

So did I, but now that we know he's actually talking about a 1.6 million baht car it's understandable that he wanted some excuse to post about it. Isn't that a fairly cheap Mercedes model?... and we also get some idea why he's getting headaches - he's on a strict dietbiggrin.png saving up for it.

It is one of the lowest price ones, I have one in the UK at the moment but getting rid of it in December once the finance has finished. They are nice cars dont get me wrong but if your going to gloat about a car at least gloat about having one that is not near the bottom of the range from that brand.

It is one of the lowest price ones, I have one in the UK at the moment but getting rid of it in December once the finance has finished. They are nice cars dont get me wrong but if your going to gloat about a car at least gloat about having one that is not near the bottom of the range from that brand.

I don't know much about Mercedes, but I saw a listing of about 23,000 Euros for that model. It seemed cheap for a Mercedes... but it did look like a nice ride though...

Perhaps I should start eating off street carts and buy my food at local market so I too can save up for one.biggrin.png

I don't know much about Mercedes, but I saw a listing of about 23,000 Euros for that model. It seemed cheap for a Mercedes... but it did look like a nice ride though...

Perhaps I should start eating off street carts and buy my food at local market so I too can save up for one.biggrin.png

I assume since you are quoting the price in euros you are not talking about the price here which has huge duties added to that.

I assume since you are quoting the price in euros you are not talking about the price here which has huge duties added to that.

I made an error, the 23,000 euro was on the Thai website as an exchange rate, not a price.

http://luxury-cars-t...s-benz-mb301007

The price is listed as 1.6 million baht. That's about 40,000 Euro.

Edited by tropo

It was listed on a Thai website, both in Euros and THB (1.6 million). Using xe.com, 23,000 Euro = 917,000 baht.

So we are back to quoting goods in Thailand in foreign currency. All I can say is, why? Just list the price in THB if the goods are for sale in Thailand and we don't need the daily rate vs some other currency to discuss it. As it stands now I don't know if you are talking about a 1.6 Million thb car or 917,000thb? Or that up to the buyer how much they want to pay? Or has the vehicle all of a sudden been devalued by 683,000 thb since the euro is worth less now?

Edited by Jayman