The Villa - Half The Food At Triple The Price

TheShockMaster

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never known so many men to know supermarket prices so well.

You guys must lead really exciting lives!

Retire to Pattaya and spend your time running around the supermarket shelves comparing prices.

I give my gal the shopping money and she buys whatever.

I do all my own shopping and cooking and enjoy it. My Filipino wife doesn't have a clue about Farang food. Each to their own. My food intake is about 98% Farang food.

What do you do that makes your life so much more exciting than us guys who browse supermarket shelves? What am I missing out on? (I don't enjoy talking to working girls in bars)

Overindulgence in either food or bar girls is equally bad for you

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes fixed

Villa can be crazy expensive, however whenever i try to shop somewhere else, i always end up going back to villa to pick up something.

I'm the same. I only go there to buy Robinson's juice as I can't find it anywhere else. Still, it costs about £3 a bottle. Crazy.

Probably exaggerated those first prices a little, but trust me, not by much.

You really have to stop comparing prices to the UK, of course imported goods carry heavy taxes hence the high price.....Just think of the Thais in the UK, here you get Pappaya for 10 baht or most times free from the garden, 7 years ago in the UK my Mrs bought one and it cost her a tenner!!!...so the equivalant at the time would be 700 Baht...by the way how much is Robinsons in the UK, probably over 2 quid a bottle now anyway.

A small (and I mean small) Pappaya now will set you back £3 - £5 pounds in the UK. and I thought that was much too expensive.

Just FYI, I was at the TOPS on the ground floor of Central Festival and they were packing up all the Robinson juices. They said it was all being recalled by the manufacture. I have no further details on this other than they wouldn't sell me any and said it was all being sent back.

quite simply i have never known a woman of any nationality who was a better cook than me.

And to cook, I need to shop.

so i shop.

and it is not until i shop, that i know what i am going to cook.

because you never knew my Grandma who taught my wife some cooking.

p.s. when we got married Mrs Naam's cooking was limited to heating up water, hanging a teabag in a cup and filling the cup with hot water.

Edited by Naam

quite simply i have never known a woman of any nationality who was a better cook than me.

And to cook, I need to shop.

so i shop.

and it is not until i shop, that i know what i am going to cook.

because you never knew my Grandma who taught my wife some cooking.

p.s. when we got married Mrs Naam's cooking was limited to heating up water, hanging a teabag in a cup and filling the cup with hot water.

i forgot to exclude my mother, but she never actually taught me, i learned from osmosis. I have since reverse engineered alot of my favorites.

I went to university and lived with a chefs kid,. by the time we graduated, i was doing all the cooking. We ate well

Edited by tinfoilhat

To the op of this thread, and a lot of other people. This is Thailand, right? When your talking about prices, how about using Thai Baht, not £ or ¤ or $, We are people from many countries, here on TV, so it would uncomplicate things when comparing prices. By the time pounds are Baht, then back to dollars, the original amount is lost. And why compare prices here, to back home? Its alright to compare to different shops around town, but I havent a clue what your pound is in Thailand, and I dont want to know.

You don't sound like you work for the UN? Maybe NATO?

• Like 1

To the op of this thread, and a lot of other people. This is Thailand, right? When your talking about prices, how about using Thai Baht, not £ or € or $, We are people from many countries, here on TV, so it would uncomplicate things when comparing prices. By the time pounds are Baht, then back to dollars, the original amount is lost. And why compare prices here, to back home? Its alright to compare to different shops around town, but I havent a clue what your pound is in Thailand, and I dont want to know.

Oh, another pointless post from someone who has posted in a topic they are clearly not interested in taking part in. I compare prices in UK £ because that's what I get my salary paid in whilst working in Thailand. If you can't be bothered taking part in a discussion I suggest you take your comments elsewhere. Much like you are not interested in knowing what the currency rate of the UK Pound to Baht is, I and many others who have taken part in this discussion, are not interested in your pointless comments. I bid you a good day and hope you are fruitfully being ripped of right left and center each and every day.

To the op of this thread, and a lot of other people. This is Thailand, right? When your talking about prices, how about using Thai Baht, not £ or € or $, We are people from many countries, here on TV, so it would uncomplicate things when comparing prices. By the time pounds are Baht, then back to dollars, the original amount is lost. And why compare prices here, to back home? Its alright to compare to different shops around town, but I havent a clue what your pound is in Thailand, and I dont want to know.

Oh, another pointless post from someone who has posted in a topic they are clearly not interested in taking part in. I compare prices in UK £ because that's what I get my salary paid in whilst working in Thailand. If you can't be bothered taking part in a discussion I suggest you take your comments elsewhere. Much like you are not interested in knowing what the currency rate of the UK Pound to Baht is, I and many others who have taken part in this discussion, are not interested in your pointless comments. I bid you a good day and hope you are fruitfully being ripped of right left and center each and every day.

I personally agree with him. Why talk about prices for stuff in the stores here in terms of your home country? This is TVF and since we are talking about things in the local market it only makes sense to discuss them in terms of the local currency. Or are you trying to exclude folks from your discussion that don't get paid in GBP?

Or perhaps with the help of Naam we can start discussing pricing for all items in terms of grams of gold.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 2

I personally agree with him. Why talk about prices for stuff in the stores here in terms of your home country? This is TVF and since we are talking about things in the local market it only makes sense to discuss them in terms of the local currency. Or are you trying to exclude folks from your discussion that don't get paid in GBP?

Or perhaps with the help of Naam we can start discussing pricing for all items in terms of grams of gold.

Yes, you`re right, it`s Thai baht that the shops here are pricing in and taking, not UK £, US $ or Euros.

I agree. I usually resist the urge to complain about the price of Norwegian salmon at Villa. Most people wouldn't bother trying to figure out what I meant when I say it's outrageous to pay BBD6.4694 for 100g.

Actually his comment is very relevant to this thread and is well made! I would recommend you take a deep breath and calm down (or go shopping!).

We aren't exagerating a little bit are we? 6.70 for 3 slices of cheese? That's $8.75 USD.

You are right about Villa, 328 Baht for a tin of corned beef which costs 180 Baht at Foodland in Bangkok, and 200 Baht at Friendship.

If you look you can find bargains in Villa. You'll also find a lot of things you cannot find at any of the other supermarkets. They had fresh West Australian strawberries in there for 99 baht per 250 gram punnet yesterday - that's the best deal in town. Bulla (Australian) low fat cottage cheese - by far the best deal in town. More choices of smoked salmon and bacon than anywhere else...

3 Threes Australian mint sauce - 120 baht. Best price in Foodland for another Australian brand nearly 300!!! The topside roast was the same price as Foodland but better meat... and I'm only scratching the surface.

I would suggest people stop being close minded on this one and have a browse around Villa. You maybe surprised what you can find.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

If you look you can find bargains in Villa. You'll also find a lot of things you cannot find at any of the other supermarkets. They had fresh West Australian strawberries in there for 99 baht per 250 gram punnet yesterday - that's the best deal in town. Bulla (Australian) low fat cottage cheese - by far the best deal in town. More choices of smoked salmon and bacon than anywhere else...

3 Threes Australian mint sauce - 120 baht. Best price in Foodland for another Australian brand nearly 300!!! The topside roast was the same price as Foodland but better meat... and I'm only scratching the surface.

I would suggest people stop being close minded on this one and have a browse around Villa. You maybe surprised what you can find.

To use "Villa" and "bargain" (singular or plural) in the same sentence is a total mischaracterization, unless the word "no" appears before "bargain". If you have idiosyncratic taste in food, no doubt you can feed that taste by shopping at Villa, perhaps better than Foodland or Friendship -- I doubt it but it is possible, and certainly at a higher total cost. Mint sauce??? -- I have never in my life bought mint sauce (I think that my grandmother served that stuff) and I expect that I will maintain my perfect record, so I really don't care where it is available or at what price (B120 for a jar?!!!). I realize that it is used as an example, but what an obtuse one! If I never stepped foot in Villa Market again, I do not think I would be missing a thing. Bottom line, Villa is not the place to do your overall food shopping, unless you want to pay a lot more for groceries. If there are a select few items that Villa has that you like at "decent" prices or not available elsewhere (and you value your time at or near zero), fine; pop in to Villa when you are in the area and pick up those items and no more. I make an annual wee rec to Villa, usually just before Christams, to look for a few items for the Christams Eve celebration and to confirm that it is the same, over-priced food store that it has always been since it opend. I do not recall ever spending more than B300 at Villa at a single time. As I said previously, I will be pleased to see a change on a future visit (assuming that it survives until then, which given the number of customers it attracts with its "bargain prices" may be doubtful). But nothing in this thread (with my eyes and mind wide open) has convinced me to prepone my visit. Next.......

I agree it would be unwise to use Villa as your only groceries source. Did anyone actually assert that? I visit regularly and there actually are quite a large percentage of their items that are competitively priced. No, I'm not in the market for a 300 baht imported tomato and have no problem that they stock that for those so tempted and financially capable.

To use "Villa" and "bargain" (singular or plural) in the same sentence is a total mischaracterization, unless the word "no" appears before "bargain". If you have idiosyncratic taste in food, no doubt you can feed that taste by shopping at Villa, perhaps better than Foodland or Friendship -- I doubt it but it is possible, and certainly at a higher total cost. Mint sauce??? -- I have never in my life bought mint sauce (I think that my grandmother served that stuff) and I expect that I will maintain my perfect record, so I really don't care where it is available or at what price (B120 for a jar?!!!). I realize that it is used as an example, but what an obtuse one! If I never stepped foot in Villa Market again, I do not think I would be missing a thing. Bottom line, Villa is not the place to do your overall food shopping, unless you want to pay a lot more for groceries. If there are a select few items that Villa has that you like at "decent" prices or not available elsewhere (and you value your time at or near zero), fine; pop in to Villa when you are in the area and pick up those items and no more. I make an annual wee rec to Villa, usually just before Christams, to look for a few items for the Christams Eve celebration and to confirm that it is the same, over-priced food store that it has always been since it opend. I do not recall ever spending more than B300 at Villa at a single time. As I said previously, I will be pleased to see a change on a future visit (assuming that it survives until then, which given the number of customers it attracts with its "bargain prices" may be doubtful). But nothing in this thread (with my eyes and mind wide open) has convinced me to prepone my visit. Next.......

I suggest you go back and read my reply because you've totally twisted its meaning. There are bargains at Villa and many. I merely gave a few for reference. I spend at least 1000 baht per week in there and save money doing so.

On low fat cottage cheese I save a whopping 51% on the best price anywhere else. What have you got to say about that? You don't care because you don't eat cottage cheese??? Well I do because I eat a lot of it and save about 500 - 1000 baht per month through buying it at Villa.

Mint sauce and jelly are for me a necessary component of a roast lamb dinner and these are regular items also found in Foodland and Friendship. I often eat roast lamb and I'm certainly not the only one. I don't suppose you eat strawberries either?

You're suggesting I don't value my time by shopping there - perhaps your problem is you have a very bland diet.

(I don't value my time) and shop at 3 main locations - Foodland, Villa and Friendship with the occasional excursion to Tesco and Big C Xtra...because I value my money.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I use Villa several times a week, for local and imported shopping.

Sure, some of the imported goods are expensive but I just give them a wide berth.

The staff there are pretty good too.

... and sometimes I treat myself to an expensive imported item or two and don't care about the price. I'm sure many of us do. I'm often amazed at the assortment of exotic imported items there. I think they're doing a great job - I just hope they stay open because The Avenue as a whole has been a financial disaster.

I compare prices in UK £ because that's what I get my salary paid in whilst working in Thailand.

I don't see the relevance in this international forum. It's not all about YOU. Many of us don't get paid in GBP and are paid more than you are in, say, USD or AUD. And after you get paid, you convert to Thai baht and pay in Thai baht as we all do here. Ever tried to pay at a supermarket in a currency other than baht? You'll find the cashier most unamused. All prices are marked in Thai baht, so why convert baht to GBP then back to baht, then back to GBP to post here?

So Mysupermarket.co.uk has Seriously Strong White Cheddar 200g on offer for 13s 7d. On a per gram basis that's not much cheaper than Mainland Tasty from Australia, which can be had at Villa for ISK745.03. Foodland is slightly cheaper at ISK696.44.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

i use Villa once in a while to buy a variety of smoked fish. bloody expensive but the only place i know where i can get smoked fish without some freaking Thai style sugar coating.

Here's a tip i'm forwarding on the most fabulous sauce to your smoked salmon & some egg HovmastarsauceIngredients * Dijon mustard -- 1/4 cup * White or red wine vinegar -- 1 tablespoon * Sugar -- 1 tablespoon * Salt and pepper -- a pinch of each * Vegetable oil -- 1/2 cup * Fresh dill, chopped -- 2-3 tablespoonsMethod 1. Mix the mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together well in a medium-sized bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. 2. Stir in the chopped dill, adjust seasoning and serve chilled.Variations * Try using other types of mustard, but avoid bright yellow mustards. Swedish-style mustard is mild and sweet. Adjust the amount of vinegar and sugar as needed.I'm using mustard with horseradish myself and the result is delicious

I compare prices in UK £ because that's what I get my salary paid in whilst working in Thailand.

I don't see the relevance in this international forum. It's not all about YOU. Many of us don't get paid in GBP and are paid more than you are in, say, USD or AUD. And after you get paid, you convert to Thai baht and pay in Thai baht as we all do here. Ever tried to pay at a supermarket in a currency other than baht? You'll find the cashier most unamused. All prices are marked in Thai baht, so why convert baht to GBP then back to baht, then back to GBP to post here?

So Mysupermarket.co.uk has Seriously Strong White Cheddar 200g on offer for 13s 7d. On a per gram basis that's not much cheaper than Mainland Tasty from Australia, which can be had at Villa for ISK745.03. Foodland is slightly cheaper at ISK696.44.

But what I really need to know is how many grams of cheese can I get per gram of gold.

• Like 1