How Much Overweight With Thai Airways ?

Sandman77

Call Thai directly, every city is different. Excess fees are based on a % of a full Y ticket and no one will be able to answer your question, we will only be guessing on an approximate.

http://www.thaiairways.co.uk/flying-with-thai/luggage/, but they don't seem to bother on domestic flights-26kgs from Chiang Mai to BKK in economy one month ago with no surcharge

In my experience it tends to be the low-cost budget carriers who are really stringent on baggage weight. Flew BKK - ATH with the wife a few years ago, we had 30 kg each. Gulf allowance was 23 Kg, but the guy at check-in didn't bat an eyelid. Also, to my great surprise, when we checked in for the internal flight with Olympic airways (baggage limit 15 Kg) they didn't bother about it either.

Last year, my daughter flew back to UK from here in Greece with Easyjet, and was 5 Kg over. They wanted £72 extra! Thieves and scoundrels!

• 6 months later...

I just flew Thai Air from Bkk to Tokyo, changed airlines there to JAL/American. For the Thai leg I had two bags which were both 32 kilo (+10k for each). The Thai CSRs discussed it between themselves, but Thai did not charge me for it. In Tokyo on JAL/American, I paid $60US each (total$120US) which I thought was pretty reasonable and was expecting much more.

The Thai Airways counter staff are unpredictable. Perhaps overweight baggage charges are applied mainly by grumpy staff.

If you travel with a friend, one overweight bag is never a problem, provided the combined weight is within reasonable limits.

If the 'plane is not full, counter staff usually allow extra baggage weight on board without a problem.

I have found that a 5kg extra load is not subject of an extra charge.

But having said all that, it is advisable to keep your baggage weight at or under the allowed limit. Unexpected extra charges could ruin your day.

Regarding the credit card, yes you must present the exact same card at check-in that you used for purchasing online. If you don't, they might actually make you buy a new ticket.

Not always so. If the booking was made months ago as is the case here then the airline has already been paid and will have no interest in the credit card. In the case of very recently purchased tickets it's a case of protection against fraud (cardholder not present) which is when they will ask for the card.

• 3 weeks later...

OP is flying from Switzerland to Thailand. According to Thai Airways baggage policy the cost per kilogram overweigth between these zones is US$ 55 per kilogram...

As the OP is leaving from Switzerland, where SwissPort will do the checkin for Thai Airways, the chance are very high that they (Swissport) will follow the rules given to them by their Airline partner and thus, he will be made to pay for any overweight baggage...

$55 per kg? Did I read that right?

So basically, if I have over 10 kg excess, I'm better off buying a second ticket and flying together with my imaginary friend who has his 20 kg allotment?

I wonder if he'll need a visa, and if we can get 2 seats together?

Edited by impulse

$55 per kg? Did I read that right?

So basically, if I have over 10 kg excess, I'm better off buying a second ticket and flying together with my imaginary friend who has his 20 kg allotment?

I wonder if he'll need a visa, and if we can get 2 seats together?

It's what Thai Airways write, as you can see in the link I posted... other airlines are much cheaper, Swiss as an example has a policy that says

- US$ 150 for bag from 24 to 32 kg within allowed number of bags in your booking class

- US$ 200 for each additional standard bag (500 for extra big bag).

Thus... chose your airline well, if you fly with excessive luggage...

• Like 1