Chalerm, Red-Shirts Stand Against Truth For Reconciliation Commission Of Thailand's Report

webfact

TRCT REPORT

Chalerm, reds stand against TRCT report

The Nation

30190758-01_big.jpg

Thida

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and prominent red-shirt leaders yesterday loudly opposed the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand's final report on the 2010 crackdown.

Chalerm dismissed the TRCT's conclusions as just the opinions of a committee that had no legal binding.

Robert Amsterdam, who now works as legal counsel for the red-shirt Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD), slammed the TRCT for suggesting in its report that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra end his political activities.

He questioned the TRCT's credibility and its ability to stay neutral, especially since it had been set up by a military-installed government. He also denounced the report as counter-productive and provocative because the victims of the crackdown would refuse to accept anything less than accountability.

"The victims will not accept this report and will not accept the false equivalence the report attempts to draw between an army firing upon unarmed protesters and their civic right to protest for democracy against a coup-appointed government," he said.

IT'S PERSONAL OPINION: THIDA

Meanwhile, DAAD chairwoman Thida Thavornseth said the report, which states that Thaksin was the root cause of the national divide, was merely TRCT chairman Kanit na Nakorn's personal opinion. She added that comments like this would not bring about national reconciliation but would instead anger people.

Separately, Department of Special Investigation chief Tarit Pengdith demanded that Abhisit Vejjajiva and Suthep Thaugsuban, then director of the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation, be held responsible for the death of taxi driver Phan Kamkong.

The Criminal Court ruled this week that Phan had indeed been shot dead by soldiers.

Abhisit responded to the DSI chief's demand by saying that Tarit too was a member of the CRES and had taken part in the centre's policies and decision-making. He said it was unusual for Tarit to conclude that he and Suthep committed a crime without going through the proper justice procedure.

Chalerm, however, defended Tarit's comment, saying that only the CRES director should be held responsible.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-20

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amsterdam is just a paid monkey. If he truly cared about human rights in Thailand he would have stood against Thanksin's war on drugs and his atrocities in Tak Bai and Kru Se.

He would need to be paid by a client first before he stood against Tak Bai/Krue Se atrocities and Thaksin's Drug War.

Robert Amsterdam...

He also denounced the report as counter-productive and provocative because the victims of the crackdown would refuse to accept anything less than accountability.

Except for those "victims of the crackdown" that did not "refuse" the 7.75 Million Baht taxpayer-funded payoff and agreed not to pursue litigation in the process.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

These people are dangerous and won't bow down, won't reconcile unless it benefits them and are doing nothing less than a modern witch hunt. The motive for this is pretty clear to me and this whole charade won't rest till the man behind the curtain gets a red carpet comeback, his money back and takes revenge as interest.

• Like 1

These people are dangerous and won't bow down, won't reconcile unless it benefits them and are doing nothing less than a modern witch hunt. The motive for this is pretty clear to me and this whole charade won't rest till the man behind the curtain gets a red carpet comeback, his money back and takes revenge as interest.

Won't happen.

Robert Amsterdam, who now works as legal counsel for the red-shirt Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD), slammed the TRCT for suggesting in its report that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra end his political activities.

Does Robert Amsterdam have a work permit, if he does not, than he should be arrested and punished. In accordance with the labor law.

I really don't know, why so many here cry foul, when Chalerm is in denial about the findings. Who really expect something else? All parties involved are in permanent denial of their share of responsiblity and accountability. I can't remeber Gen Prayuth admitting that the Army is partly to blame, neither do Abbhisit or Suthep. They all playing the Thai National passttime"Avoiding responsibility at all costs" and everybody is really eager to show their own "I am holier than thou" attitude. The whole dealing with the incident is a national digrace and a slap in the face of everybody. All people who got hurt there or died deserve justice, but all parties involved in the 2010 incidents do their best to deny that. It gives a real good impression of the moral values of the key players of the involved parties.

• Like 2

Does Robert Amsterdam have a work permit, if he does not, than he should be arrested and punished. In accordance with the labor law.

regarding your last point, he doesnt work here does he?

I really don't know, why so many here cry foul, when Chalerm is in denial about the findings. Who really expect something else? All parties involved are in permanent denial of their share of responsiblity and accountability. I can't remeber Gen Prayuth admitting that the Army is partly to blame, neither do Abbhisit or Suthep. They all playing the Thai National passttime"Avoiding responsibility at all costs" and everybody is really eager to show their own "I am holier than thou" attitude. The whole dealing with the incident is a national digrace and a slap in the face of everybody. All people who got hurt there or died deserve justice, but all parties involved in the 2010 incidents do their best to deny that. It gives a real good impression of the moral values of the key players of the involved parties.

Agreed this isn't about the truth or reconciliation, its about positioning one self on the moral high ground and being able to claim the enemy defeated.

IT'S PATHETIC!!

I have figured that the reds are ALL of the same mentality and it is exactly the same as the red apologists on TV. No matter what is staring you in the face they just want the 'truth' to only resemble their version, nothing else, there is no reasoning, no logic, ....just the party line. Communism at its best..way to go.

Perhaps they remember Phan Fah

One incident you highlight before

"On 10 April, troops unsuccessfully cracked down at Phan Fah, resulting in 24 deaths, including one Japanese journalist and five soldiers, and more than 800 injuries. The Thai media called the crackdown "Cruel April" (Source WiKi)

IT'S PATHETIC!!

I have figured that the reds are ALL of the same mentality and it is exactly the same as the red apologists on TV. No matter what is staring you in the face they just want the 'truth' to only resemble their version, nothing else, there is no reasoning, no logic, ....just the party line. Communism at its best..way to go.

"On 10 April, troops unsuccessfully cracked down at Phan Fah, resulting in 24 deaths, including one Japanese journalist and five soldiers, and more than 800 injuries. The Thai media called the crackdown "Cruel April" (Source WiKi)

April 10, the day 5 soldiers were killed.

IT'S PATHETIC!!

coming from a man who stated, quite clearly, that soldiers don't break rules of engagement...

The difference is PTP/Thaksin want to sweep everything under the rug through an amnesty and Abhisit and Suthep want the matter to follow the regular course of justice.

A rather important difference I think.

IT'S PATHETIC!!

April 10, the day 5 soldiers were killed.

I mentioned 24 deaths and 800 injuries, you appear to think that 5 of the agressors dead somehow makes a difference to the unprovoked "failed" crackdown, Personally I feel one death was too much. But this failed crackdown not only caused deaths and injury but instigated the move into the heart of Bangkok with a very different demeanor from the original peaceful protest site at Phan Fah

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

I was going to say "double post" but I see you repeated your response to two different posts.

What relevance does remembering April 10 have to them accepting some blame?

A very level headed post and the sad reality of Thailand for the last 50 or more years.

There should be accountability all round for this, previous and probably future events and maybe the only way it can happen is of there is a strong grass roots organisation, which perhaps the red shirts might morph into.

It's unlikely to come from the top or the politicians, so what does that leave ??

I was going to say "double post" but I see you repeated your response to two different posts.

Dear whybother, when you learn to find solutions to your never ending questions then I may consider a debate, at the moment there appears to be a certain lacking in your ability to absorb information, decipher, and form a conclusion based on what you see. I am afraid I cannot help your understanding further. Apologies but there are limits to my abilities

Edited by 473geo

Dear whybother, when you learn to find solutions to your never ending questions then I may consider a debate, at the moment there appears to be a certain lacking in your ability to absorb information, decipher, and form a conclusion based on what you see. I am afraid I cannot help your understanding further. Apologies but there are limits to my abilities

but why?

What scumbags these Red pieces of crap are!

Chalerm is against the findings and says it's not legally binding. And yet he wants the people who headed the CRES prosecuted based on the findings!

And yet, we still have idiot apologists here defending these scum!

"The victims will not accept this report and will not accept the false equivalence the report attempts to draw between an army firing upon unarmed protesters and their civic right to protest for democracy against a coup-appointed government," he said.

Mr. Amsterdam is it the civic right to burn and loot a capital city.bah.gif