Crackdown On Unlicenced Motorcycles In Cm Again?

jaideeguy

Wife said she heard on the local CM news that the BIB were up and rounding up unlicensed motorcycles [mostly reassembled Japan models] and were imposing heavy fines. Just when I was going to put my Yamaha TW200 up for sale.

Any reports to confirm this?? Happened about 5 or 6 yrs ago, but things got back to normal and the rental shops started renting them again.

Look for more enforcement of all bikes in the next few months as a big big change in Thailand's bike market is about to happen. Just follow the information given on TV Bike Forum.

Big-bike market set to change gear

Kanittha Panthong

The Nation February 9, 2012 1:00 am

30175431-01_big.jpg

Japanese and European manufacturers want a slice of this rising demand

This could well be considered as the first year that competition in the motorcycle industry is intensifying since the start of the year.

//mod comment - rest of article removed for sake of fair useage - see link in next post

Edited by onthedarkside
edited for 'fair use'

Look for more enforcement of all bikes in the next few months as a big big change in Thailand's bike market is about to happen. Just follow the information given on TV Bike Forum.

Thanks but I think you just shredded the fair use policy :)

This way may be better next time

Big-bike market set to change gear

Thank you for the article though as it was a good read.

Nothing in the article makes explicit the total reduction in duties, taxes, and fees that will attach to bikes bigger than 250cc's. In fact, mention of tax breaks for eco-cars makes the thrust of government intentions vague. Truth is, it's all in a negotiation stage with manufacturers interested in selling here, but the government not yet assuring charges on new bikes will be so low as they are on the PCX, or 250cc bikes.

As for gray market bikes' owners being fined, I cannot understand why authorities would not confiscate the bikes that are unlicensed (and avoiding taxes and regulations), as they are in so much of the rest of the world?

Edited by CMX

Good

Why?

The whole registration situation is horrible. There are tons of people willing to pay a realistic fine or tax to make their bike legal. But a 70,000B emissions test is one of the stupidest hoops to jump through. In stead of a crack down, come up with a ladder system based on engine size and have a leniency period first. IE 50-100cc bikes pay 5-10,000 Baht to be legalized, 400cc bikes pay 30,000 etc etc.

Lots of classic bikes 20-40 years old that people would love to make legal but realistically cannot.

• Like 1

Nothing in the article makes explicit the total reduction in duties, taxes, and fees that will attach to bikes bigger than 250cc's. In fact, mention of tax breaks for eco-cars makes the thrust of government intentions vague. Truth is, it's all in a negotiation stage with manufacturers interested in selling here, but the government not yet assuring charges on new bikes will be so low as they are on the PCX, or 250cc bikes.

As for gray market bikes' owners being fined, I cannot understand why authorities would not confiscate the bikes that are unlicensed (and avoiding taxes and regulations), as they are in so much of the rest of the world?

Google-The Wheel Deal-BKP. 27% reduction by 2017 on import tax of bikes. The take down of the illegal bikes in ALL of Thailand has just started or should say continues. If memory serve me the busting of all the big illegal bikes in 2007 and 2008 was for the reintroduction of Harley Davidson and Triumph return to the Thai market.

Edited by khwaibah

I bought a big bike almost 5 months ago from a dealer (brand new one), and I am still waiting for a number plate. I've got the green book, and a thai plate-number has been assigned, but still waiting for the tags. The police are well aware of the situation, I've had no issue with them at all; I only wonder if somebody steals my bike what possible chance of recovery??

Lots of classic bikes 20-40 years old that people would love to make legal but realistically cannot.

.....I ride a 1992 Yamaha SRV250. I love this bike, but to get a green book would cost upwards of 100,000 baht, I only paid 29,000 for it and put 12,000 of new parts into it. I am willing to take the chance with the police realizing that wearing a helmet greatly reduces the chance of being stopped, while group riding on the highways usually gets a wave through the check points.

Dealing with the cops here is always a hit and miss,with one's attitude playing a big role in the outcome. Sometimes 'corruption' can be a "good-thing"

I bought a big bike almost 5 months ago from a dealer (brand new one), and I am still waiting for a number plate. I've got the green book, and a thai plate-number has been assigned, but still waiting for the tags. The police are well aware of the situation, I've had no issue with them at all; I only wonder if somebody steals my bike what possible chance of recovery??

Just the same as if somebody steals your bike and throws the plate away or swaps the plate with one from a different bike.

Good

Why?

The whole registration situation is horrible. There are tons of people willing to pay a realistic fine or tax to make their bike legal. But a 70,000B emissions test is one of the stupidest hoops to jump through. In stead of a crack down, come up with a ladder system based on engine size and have a leniency period first. IE 50-100cc bikes pay 5-10,000 Baht to be legalized, 400cc bikes pay 30,000 etc etc.

I have a Honda Phantom 200cc with a green book.

It didn't have enough guts in it for me (think fat bugger) and I looked around for something bigger like a Yamaha Virago.

I saw many Viragos for sale and some beautiful ones too at a great price but none had green books.

I finally found a Virago 535 with a green book after 4 months of waiting so I went for that one.

Because it belonged to a diplomat it had been brought in duty free as a personal vehicle and it took several weeks to get the paperwork sorted out

I sat in the DLT at Chatuchak for over 4 hours while a Thai guy who worked at the embassy did most of the running about and Chatuchak is a big place.

It all went through OK and now I have a bigger bike WITH a green book so it will be easier to sell if and when I want too.

But me buy a bike with no green book? No way. I ain't that stupid. I didn't fall off the banana tree.

I have seen 2 plated Honda Chaly's in 5 years. 1 when I was moving back to the US and one that wasn't for sale. 30-40k for a plated one I hear. For insurance reasons I may get a Chinese copy for 30k and swap over all my parts to the plated frame and see if that would work. I could then assemble the chinese parts on the original frame and sell that for 80% of what I bought the chinese bike for...But right now I am looking at CB400SS, Cb450, 550, 650, 750's, SR400/500's and other bikes. I WILL be waiting for on with a plate to come my way.

Edited by BlackArtemis