Is It Safe?

Mobi

Quote from British embassy recently updated advice email to Brits resident in Thailand:

There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against places frequented by foreigners.

unquote

A couple of days ago, there was a bomb set off in the justice ministry in Bangkok.

The troubles seem to be moving out of the Deep South – certainly the FCO seems to think so.

Pattaya next? :o

Code oranje <- Dutch (click)

We also have code red ! But not at the moment ...

Ìf 'you' get attacked :o, you will die with all the rest; sorry to say. There is a war going on, which spreads all over the world. Whère are 'you' safe ? There are also robbers, natural-born killers, criminals, cars, incompetent doctors and lawyers, nasty wives and family-in-law, spiders and scorpions (my birth sign), as well as [poisones] snakes (also a sign of mine). Ask Saddam ... even digging a hole and living in there will not save you ! Don't be scared and don't scare others :D

Code oranje <- Dutch (click)

We also have code red ! But not at the moment ...

Ìf 'you' get attacked :o, you will die with all the rest; sorry to say. There is a war going on, which spreads all over the world. Whère are 'you' safe ? There are also robbers, natural-born killers, criminals, cars, incompetent doctors and lawyers, nasty wives and family-in-law, spiders and scorpions (my birth sign), as well as [poisones] snakes (also a sign of mine). Ask Saddam ... even digging a hole and living in there will not save you ! Don't be scared and don't scare others :D

Thanks for the link - wish I could read Dutch. Who's Theo Van Gogh? Does he paint? :D

I don't think I'm scared - no more than I am usually - been through a few wars unscathed. As the Buddhists say " when your times up, your time's up "- or words to that effect. :D

Just wondered what the folks make of the embassy scaremongering. Maybe it was written by the drunken attache that went beserk on the plane to the UK. :D:D

Thanks for the link - wish I could read Dutch. Who's Theo Van Gogh? Does he paint? :o

I don't think I'm scared - no more than I am usually - been through a few wars unscathed. As the Buddhists say " when your times up, your time's up "- or words to that effect. :D

Just wondered what the folks make of the embassy scaremongering. Maybe it was written by the drunken attache that went beserk on the plane to the UK. :D:D

:D ...

Theo Van Gogh ? A Dutch writer/moviemaker (20th century). Directly related to Vincent van Gogh, the famous painter (19th century).

Dutch Filmmaker Theo Van Gogh Murdered

Associated Press, USA

Nov. 2, 2004

Dutch national broadcaster NOS and other media reported that Van Gogh's killer shot and stabbed his victim and left a note on his body. NOS said witnesses described the attacker as having an "Arab appearance."

He's been send for prison for life. His name was "Muhammed B." and is a Muslim terrorist, as well as members of the "Hofstadt groep".

I have had no problems since I started wearing a flak jacket with my crash hat and never stay out after 6pm. I just sit on my balcony and listen to the gunshots in the distance. :D

:D

Terrorism (<-Click)

Terrorism is a threat throughout the world. You can find more information about this threat in our General Advice to Australian Travellers.

We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand because of the high threat of terrorist attack. We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including places frequented by foreigners.

In planning your activities, consider the kinds of places known to be terrorist targets. These include places frequented by foreigners such as embassies, shopping malls, clubs, hotels, restaurants, bars, schools, churches, outdoor recreation events and tourist areas. Public transport, airports, sea ports and public buildings are also potential terrorist targets.

The increase in violence in Southern Thailand (see below) may result in attacks elsewhere in Thailand, including Bangkok and other tourist areas. Thai authorities have taken additional security measures in other parts of the country, including tourist centres and Bangkok.

Due to security concerns, security at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok is at a high level.

In planning your activities, consider the kinds of places known to be terrorist targets. These include places frequented by foreigners such as embassies, shopping malls, clubs, hotels, restaurants, bars, schools, churches, outdoor recreation events and tourist areas. Public transport, airports, sea ports and public buildings are also potential terrorist targets.

If you took that warning too seriously, you'd be an idiot to go outside at all... :o

To the OP and your question... sure there are risks travelling anywhere in the world these days, and Pattaya is no exception.

If you plan your trips/excursions well, and know a little about the lie of the land, you should not meet with any untoward activity.

FCO

SUMMARY

We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, where there is continuing violence due to insurgency and civil unrest. Since January 2004, there have been regular attacks including bombings and shootings. On 19 July 2005, the Thai Government declared a serious state of emergency in the provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat. This was extended for a second time on 17 January 2006 to 20 April 2006.

Edited by MP5

Quote from British embassy recently updated advice email to Brits resident in Thailand:

There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against places frequented by foreigners.

unquote

A couple of days ago, there was a bomb set off in the justice ministry in Bangkok.

The troubles seem to be moving out of the Deep South – certainly the FCO seems to think so.

Pattaya next? :o

To me that just seems like a general warning, not dissimilar to the one that most countries have put out. Some places in Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok have been identified as potential targets already.

Has that bomb been linked to any terrorist or Muslim group yet ???

I would think that it is a foregone conclusion that the trouble in the south may spread to other areas or that the insurgents in the south may very well move their field of operations north. Not much we can do about it if they do. Just take commonsense precautions when travelling anywhere in the world....including your own country.

:D:D

unquote

Pattaya next? :D

PRAVDA

Muslim rebels kill two soldiers, two civilians in Thailand

13:16 2006-01-30Suspected Muslim separatist rebels fatally shot two soldiers, a teacher and a government bureaucrat in the latest violence in Thailand's restive south, officials said Monday. About 10 suspected rebels opened fire Sunday on soldiers guarding a railway station in Narathiwat province's Ruesor district, killing two soldiers, said Police Maj. Gen. Yongyuth Charoenwanich.

A few hours later, suspected rebels shot dead 38-year-old schoolteacher Hama Daeyideen as he returned from work in nearby Pattani province's Yarang district, Police Maj. Gen. Kokiart Wongworachat.

Also in Yarang, two gunmen stormed the house of bureaucrat Somsak Musamee, 41, and shot him to death, Kokiart said.

More than 1,200 people have been killed in the past two years in attacks the government has blamed on a shadowy group that wants to create an independent Islamic state in southern Thailand, a predominantly Muslim area where many have long complained of discrimination in the Buddhist-majority country.

Since the beginning of 2006, 38 people have been killed in Thailand's three southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, reports the AP.

I.L.

:o ... :D ... :D

I have had no problems since I started wearing a flak jacket with my crash hat and never stay out after 6pm. I just sit on my balcony and listen to the gunshots in the distance. :D

I just sit on my balcony and watch all of those farangs trying to fly! :o

<snip>

FlyingDutchman, please keep news bulletins related to other regions out of the Pattaya forum... they serve no purpose here... unless of course you were trying to sensationalise the subject... which in turn serves no purpose here either.

Terror in Pattaya is walking alone at night down Soi 8 from Second Road to Beach Road and trying to get to the other end without a hand from those pesky, over anxious bar girls being laid upon you. :o

...ah yes a soi where one can see many an escaping farang meandering rather slowly, displaying huge smiles......and some, not even making it to Beach Rd. :D

Terror in Pattaya is walking alone at night down Soi 8 from Second Road to Beach Road and trying to get to the other end without a hand from those pesky, over anxious bar girls being laid upon you. :o

...ah yes a soi where one can see many an escaping farang meandering rather slowly, displaying huge smiles......and some, not even making it to Beach Rd. :D

...and what about Soi 6, also known as "The White Man's Grave"? :D

...and what about Soi 6, also known as "The White Man's Grave"? :D

Now....that`s a hole different ball game :D