Crackdown On Inappropriate Websites Within 2 Weeks

Jai Dee

ICT MINISTRY TO CRACK DOWN ON INAPPROPRIATE WEBSITES WITHIN 2 WEEKS

Minister of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) SORA-AT KLINPRATHUM (สรอรรถ กลิ่นประทุม) said he will discuss with related agencies in regards to curbing the sprouts of inappropriate websites. He said there are ways to implement measures and regulate internet service providers.

He added that the ministry will not impose aggressive measures and that CAT Telecom Public Company Limited has already blocked 50 percent of unsuitable websites. The ministry will be clamping down 80 percent of websites deemed 'obscene.'

Mr. SORA-AT said that the ministry will distribute softwares to education institutes within 2 weeks. He added that currently the ministry has blocked 80-90 percent of foreign websites and expressed confidence that ICT ministry will be able to control all unsuitable websites as access of those websites is monitored by CAT Company Limited.

Finally,he has urged every party to cooperate with the ministry especially, the internet surfers.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 January 2006

Inappropriate and unsuitable ... who decides?!? :o
When it comes to the “inappropriate and unsuitable” web sites of political opponents it will surely be he whom I am fond of referring to as YOU KNOW WHO.

-----------------

Maestro

To my overjoyed surprise, www.corruptionwatch.net, which was closed down on Jan. 29, now seems to be up again on Jan. 31. So maybe Toxin doesn't yet have 100% control, tho I'm sure he's still working on it. Surely he will not let his censorial grip on ITV slip from his grasp. It is wonderful how terrified the corrupt Thai guys are of Khunying Jaruwan. Any real challenge to the guys' corrupt good-ole-boy system of I scratch your crooked back and you scratch you scratch mine scares them to death. Their desperate, pathetic attempts to stop Khunying Jaruwan from doing her job as Auditor General, because she was doing it all too well, will hopefully yet backfire on them. Still, it's only too obvious that Toxin has no intention of stopping any real corruption, since he is the main facilitator of it now. As Khun Burin Kantabutra keeps emphasizing in his frequent letters to Bkk. Post, no serving military officer, MP or Senator has yet been jailed for corruption. Until some big-shot's face can be sacrificed to set a good example, the Thai guys' corruption party will just keep rolling along its merry way, to the detriment of all the rest of us.

MINISTER DENIED THE GOVT CLOSED CORRUPTION WATCH WEBSITE.

The government has denied its involvement in the closing of a website monitoring corruption activities, saying that the matter falls under the Information and Communication Technology Ministry.

Minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office Suranan Vejjajiva (สุรนันทน์ เวชชาชีวะ) insisted that the government has no involvement in the closure of corruption watch website. Mr. Suranand said that he thinks it is a good to have a website to monitor the government’s work. He said that closing a website must follow many procedures and cannot be carried out immediately, adding that the matter falls under the Information and Communications Technology Ministry. However, he said that he will inquire for information from the ICT ministry directly, adding that if the website is legal, no one can order its closure.

Mr. Suranan also appealed to Democrat Party’s chair of the Corruption Inspection Commission, Alongkorn Polabut (อลงกรณ์ พลบุตร), to stop creating a situation to stir up violence, as politicians must have the benefits for the country as their first priority.

Mr. Suranan said that in closing or canceling any media, the government must consider their impacts on ethics, society, and security, while those media must also not insult the Royal Family. He said that there are many media that contain strong remarks against the government, but those media have not been closed.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 January 2006

The government has denied its involvement in the closing of a website monitoring corruption activities, saying that the matter falls under the Information and Communication Technology Ministry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the "government" often referenced to in discussions are essentially the executive and legislative branches under the Thai constitution.

The executive branch is headed the Prime Minister, who, since the amendment of the 1992 constitution, must be an MP. The cabinet is responsible for the administration of fourteen ministries, and the Office of the Prime Minister.

Thailand’s legislative branch is bicameral. The 500 members of the House of Representatives (MPs) are elected popularly. Four hundred are district MPs, directly elected in each constituency and each representing approximately 150,000 people. The remaining hundred are party-list MPs, who are elected indirectly by the percentage of vote the party receives.

Now the government is saying that the Information and Communication Technology Ministry is not part of the government. Did someone change the constitution while I was off having lunch?

:D

:o

Less of the mirth, please!

Otherwise, 'they' may announce the crackdown of crackdowns;

a crackdown on taking the piss out of 'their' crackdowns :D:D

... but this is the hub of taking the piss out of their crackdowns :o