Honda Phantom: Saddle Bags And Anti-Rust Measures

manchesterlalala

Hi everybody,

I recently bought a 3-year-old Honda Phantom in Phuket Town and all is well with the bike.

However, I could really do with some saddlebags for helping with shopping. The Honda dealership that I bought the book through showed me a flyer with lots of Phantom-specific accessories, and there were a few saddlebags on there. However, they called me back to say the shop in Bangkok they sourced this gear through no longer sold accessories as the ceasing of production had been so long ago now.

1: Is it still possible to buy saddlebags? Either new or second hand? Are there shops out there that would still have stock or even make them bespoke for a Phantom?

Even it turns out to be expensive I would still part with cash to have some good looking leather bags on the sides, so all suggestions are welcome.

This is my second Phantom; I had one a few years ago, and when I bought that one it was pretty rusty. The previous owner, who I knew well, just said that’s what happens to the metal. I have noticed some slight rust on this bike, but am eager to ensure that it stays looking good and that it is taken care of. So this may sound like a silly question, but:

2: What should I be doing – or preferably paying somebody else to do – in order to keep the bike looking like new and fending off the rust? Is rust inevitable on these bikes? Would people suggest I just do polishing myself and get some cleaning fluids? If so, which ones would people recommend?

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Manc

I can not speak in specifics about the Phantom, but living in a coastal/island environment the metal bits are exposed to quite a bit more rust causing elements than someone who lives up north. Getting double or triple chromed will provide a much longer service life.

I've had mine 5 years from new, the first 2 years in a coastal environment, no rust to speak of I am happy to say. Have the bike washed regularly and a light spray of WD40 or any water displacing fluid. I get the bike power washed up here in Phitsanulok for 50 Baht every month or so. If the bike gets covered in mud after the rains, get it off asap. After a wash I usually give it a polish too and then spray with WD.

I bought a new seat and bags for it last year, the seat is way more comfortable and the bags are nice quality. Combined cost 5000 Baht minus 700 Baht trade in for the old seat, probably ordered from Chiang Rai as Garry mentioned, they look really good, will try and post a pic later.

One thing to look out for is the Cam Chain tensioner, it is a well known weak point, if it goes then it will cost you an expensive engine rebuild, cheap to replace about 900 Baht including labour. Happy trails on your bike.

You can buy plenty of accessories for the Phantom everywhere. Plenty of second hand also. Here is a photo of a buddy of mine on our ride from Bangkok to Angkor Wat. He is a cheap charlie, so he probably bought his leather bags second hand for 500 baht somewhere! Just ask around at the motorbike shops that sell/service Phantoms, they will know. Also, ask the motorbike taxis, they know everything! blink.png As for rust, can you spray clear over chrome? Paint doesn't stick to chrome very well, but maybe if you make it a yearly spray, it will keep the rust away. A can of clear or two should do it, and at 200 baht a can, that is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Notice the front leather bag also, it was a set with the saddle bags.

post-65746-0-98670000-1348291054_thumb.jpost-65746-0-30074800-1348291164_thumb.j

Thanks everybody for the helpful suggestions. I have contacted Chiang Rai Saddlebags, and my shipment is on its way. Marty and Woraphat were very helpful. I will post pics once the shipment arrives and I have the bags and tassles attached.

With regard to the anti-rust measures ...

aitch52: Thanks for your advice. Specifically which polish do you use? Can you recommend one? Where would you suggest I buy it?

I see saddle bags for sale at the taladt nat (sunday market) for around 2000-2500 baht,

they fit all bikes, an option is to have some metal worker do holders for them.

On the annoying anti rust stuff, i gave up on the ungodly boring rubbing/polishing altogether,

and now are in the process of powder-coating everything that turned rusty or otherwise needed any form of work

I left the bike with Jomin (Burapa president) and had everything that got rusty powder coated,

(primarily pipes & other stuff down there)

he sent the stuff to someone in Rayong to do the powder coating.

I should get the bike back this week i hope, and that should have ended my polishing once and for all

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for the helpful suggestions. I have contacted Chiang Rai Saddlebags, and my shipment is on its way. Marty and Woraphat were very helpful. I will post pics once the shipment arrives and I have the bags and tassles attached.

With regard to the anti-rust measures ...

aitch52: Thanks for your advice. Specifically which polish do you use? Can you recommend one? Where would you suggest I buy it?

G'day lala

There are really expensive brands where you are paying for the name, I got a small bottle of Wax One from Tesco Lotus recently with Canuba wax for about 90 Baht, the silicone polishes are good too.

Hope you enjoy the Phantom, I love mine, it is what it is.

Aitch

I had mine washed and polished last month at the local car wash but it was expensive.

60b plus a 10b rip to the little kid who was there.

Mine still goes very well and has a really good load carrying capacity.

It carries me around.

Thanks for the replies.

Chiang Rai saddle bags order went through – delivery was shipped on the Tuesday and arrived on the Thursday – and I had both the tassles and bags attached at a local garage. Marty and Woraphat even threw in a can of free chain lube :)

I managed to find a car wash near me that does full clean and minor polish for 120 THB. I also bought some WD40 and polish myself. The pic is of the bike just after having been washed. But, because it's now raining all the time, it didn't take long for the bike to get caked in mud. Keeping the bike clean in the rainy season in Phuket looks like it could be a full time job :(

This one-time chroming malarky sounds like it may be save a lot of messing around.

post-80111-0-42906700-1349709611_thumb.j

Looking good lalalala, the bike looks to be in excellent condition. I have the same bags. I find the exhaust down pipe starts to rust but I nick a bit of well worn scotchbrite out of the kitchen and use WD40 as the liquid, ten minutes of gentle rubbing restores to the way it looked before. It is a temporary measure as it is surface corrosion and the weakness is there, but it lasts for 6 months or so. The only way to fix it is to get the pipe rechromed or replaced I guess. Enjoy your bike. Aitch.

I left the bike with Jomin (Burapa president) and had everything that got rusty powder coated,

I should get the bike back this week i hope, and that should have ended my polishing once and for all

Pls post some pics. Sounds interesting.

Thanks for the replies.

Chiang Rai saddle bags order went through – delivery was shipped on the Tuesday and arrived on the Thursday – and I had both the tassles and bags attached at a local garage. Marty and Woraphat even threw in a can of free chain lube smile.png

I managed to find a car wash near me that does full clean and minor polish for 120 THB. I also bought some WD40 and polish myself. The pic is of the bike just after having been washed. But, because it's now raining all the time, it didn't take long for the bike to get caked in mud. Keeping the bike clean in the rainy season in Phuket looks like it could be a full time job sad.png

This one-time chroming malarky sounds like it may be save a lot of messing around.

Looks great!

I've had mine 5 years from new, the first 2 years in a coastal environment, no rust to speak of I am happy to say. Have the bike washed regularly and a light spray of WD40 or any water displacing fluid. I get the bike power washed up here in Phitsanulok for 50 Baht every month or so. If the bike gets covered in mud after the rains, get it off asap. After a wash I usually give it a polish too and then spray with WD.

I bought a new seat and bags for it last year, the seat is way more comfortable and the bags are nice quality. Combined cost 5000 Baht minus 700 Baht trade in for the old seat, probably ordered from Chiang Rai as Garry mentioned, they look really good, will try and post a pic later.

One thing to look out for is the Cam Chain tensioner, it is a well known weak point, if it goes then it will cost you an expensive engine rebuild, cheap to replace about 900 Baht including labour. Happy trails on your bike.

hi, my chain goes loose nearly every month and the guy at honda moves the wheel back a feww mm and its ok again until the next time. is the cam chain tensioner causing this problem ? for 900 baht for piece of mind, i would change if needed.

thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies.

Chiang Rai saddle bags order went through – delivery was shipped on the Tuesday and arrived on the Thursday – and I had both the tassles and bags attached at a local garage. Marty and Woraphat even threw in a can of free chain lube smile.png

I managed to find a car wash near me that does full clean and minor polish for 120 THB. I also bought some WD40 and polish myself. The pic is of the bike just after having been washed. But, because it's now raining all the time, it didn't take long for the bike to get caked in mud. Keeping the bike clean in the rainy season in Phuket looks like it could be a full time job sad.png

watch out when you overload the bag. it will sit on the exhaust and get a hole from the heat. get someone to rivet some thin metal on the base of the bag.

post-136786-0-34004200-1350107318_thumb.

Edited by poanoi

hi, my chain goes loose nearly every month and the guy at honda moves the wheel back a feww mm and its ok again until the next time. is the cam chain tensioner causing this problem ? for 900 baht for piece of mind, i would change if needed.

thanks in advance.

Hi Quietman

The cam chain tensioner is inside the engine and has nothing to do with your drive chain. I had my chain adjusted recently and the kid who did it was very efficient and knowlegeable. However when he tightened the wheel nuts he used a relatively short spanner and there was no way he could have got enough torque with it. When I got home I used my socket wrench and gained another half turn with very little effort. Perhaps that is what is happening with your bike too, the nuts not tight enough and the chain force moving the wheel forward slightly. I have just changed my chain and sprockets and it feels like a new bike again.

I want to know more about this.Do you spray the whole bike after a washing ?

Great. I think I'll eventually have to do this w/ my Phantom. Losing the battle against the humid salt air here in Pattaya.

Love the bike, BTW.

I can not speak in specifics about the Phantom, but living in a coastal/island environment the metal bits are exposed to quite a bit more rust causing elements than someone who lives up north. Getting double or triple chromed will provide a much longer service life.

I agree with Dave, rust is moe of a problem in costal areas. Prevention is the key- wax your chrome often.