Please Give Me Advice On Which Job To Accept.

Lostinthewind

I am currently in the UK and have been offered two jobs in Bangkok.

One is a full time job at an international school paying B77,000 - this will be a lot of work when planning etc.

The other is a private language school that pays B55,000 but with short work hours and small classes.

The international school will be paying airfare, and visa costs where the private school won't.

A little about me:

28 year old UK newly qualified male teacher with a PGCE.

I like the private school because of their learning strategy and the hours of work, but the international school offers 20k more per month and I wont have to dip into my savings to get settled. Add to the fact that you get summer holidays at the international school and I am one very confused boy.

What I do know, is that it will be very, very hard work in the international school.....

P.S What level of living can I look forward to on these salaries.

What are everyone's opinions?

Absolute no brainer mate. Take the international gig.

A private language school paying 55k...........does that include paid holidays and sick pay too?

The 77k of the international school will make a BIG difference to your lifestyle. PLUS - that is actually quite a low salary for an international school in Bangkok, so once you get established out here in Thailand, you will be able to move on after a year or so and earn over 100k.

With a language school, you will be earning 55k (if you are lucky) in 5 years time.

Will the international school be much harder work? For sure. But you trained as a teacher so you kinda know what to expect don't you?

• Like 1

If very hard work (planning), in a teaching field, that you are qualified for, is of concern to you, maybe you should review your job search fields. Hard work brings out a mans positive attitude or lack thereof, for all to see. Not knowing you personally, but reading your concern, trail periods for new employees are well deserved.

The additional 20,000 baht/month, depending on your lifestyle could be the difference between a couple good nights out each week or more visits to the local noodle shop.

Go with the International School. First you are getting into a known situation--you know what is expected, you know the amount of work etc. You will be earning a fair amount of money and have a predictable work schedule. After you finish your contractual obligations, you can quit if you don't like it.

I do know a few people who work at private language schools, but the hours are horrendous and all over the place--evenings, weekends, split shifts. I know a few people who are quite happy with their jobs, but I certainly wouldn't want the schedule they have.

If very hard work (planning), in a teaching field, that you are qualified for, is of concern to you, maybe you should review your job search fields. Hard work brings out a mans positive attitude or lack thereof, for all to see. Not knowing you personally, but reading your concern, trail periods for new employees are well deserved.

The additional 20,000 baht/month, depending on your lifestyle could be the difference between a couple good nights out each week or more visits to the local noodle shop.

I am an NQT and I am going to a new country. It is not an unwillingness to work but having my first full-time class in a different country, starting part way through the year without any preparation is going to be tough. The light teaching schedule of the private school would allow me to ease into the new culture, get my bearings etc...

I really do like the private school as well. They have a fairly unique way of learning which is similar to how English is taught in the UK. The head has also stated that they are starting a pre-school at the end of the year.

I would go with Scott and what the other guys have said. Go for the international school. It will be heard work, not only at the school and as you have stated the culture/heat/language, I hope that is one of the reasons you are planning to move to a foreign land and hopefully with alittle pre-planning. If you go for the slightly easier private ran school I can see you getting your fingers burnt. They may say 55,000 baht now and tell you what your schedule may be over the internet but when you arrive...............it could all turn bad. Please don't think that any of us are talking down to you. Most of us have in one way or form been in a similar situation. It isn't all holiday and party time here in the the land of smiles, but it can be good if you make the right choices before you come.

Which private language schools have low hours but pay 55K? Is it really a language school or a private school that gives formal education? Just curious, as language centres can pay this much but usually the hours are high. Either way, I'd suggest trying the international school, bearing in mind you will have to develop/rethink teaching methods, as it is likely that most of your students will not be native speakers of English (unless it's one of the few top schools, but they salary would be much higher than what is stated here),

Definitely the international school.

Most language schools are 7 days a week, with teachers working 6 or 7 days a week. As an earlier poster said, you will get holidays but they won't be paid and you may well be paid 'piece rate' so if you are sick you don't get paid.

Also, it will be much easier to transfer to a higher-paying international school job if you are in a similar position.

In addition, it is much more common in Thailand to negotiate your salary, so ask for 93,000 from the international school. They will respect you for it!

Thank you for your input everyone. I have to talk to the international school tomorrow, I will have an in depth discussion with them about everything. I have to say I am pretty nervous about coming over. What were your experience of the country when you first arrived? Have you got any good tips for me?

I would also advise you to go the international school route.77,000 is an okay starting salary for someone just fresh out of their PGCE. I also did my PGCE last year. Was very tempted to go abroad straight away (my heart is still in Thailand), however I decided to do my NQT year in the UK. I am now going into my 4th week of teaching a challenging year 4 class. Every day I wonder if I should of headed away right after my PGCE.

My thoughts are based on what I see as best for you, being somewhat of a new person to the Thai work force. Experience at an International school is going to give you a HUGE amount of mileage in the Thai education job market. When I interview people that have worked in an international school, it catches my attention, especially if they completed a contract.

Second, it will give you time to take a look at how the private Thai schools function. There are a lot of downsides to local employers, including relatively weak labor laws. What is often said and what is done are very different. There are reasonably good schools and employers out there, but they are probably the exception rather than the rule.

100% go for the international school. Given your qualifications you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didnt.

I am an Australian trained teacher, and came out to Thailand straight after graduating from our equivalent of a a British PGCE.

Now I am in an International School using a British curriculum. Not only my first teaching gig, but in another country and using a curriculum I didnt train in!

The staff at my school have all been helpful, and if it's a halfway decent international school they will have all the tools available for you to succeed. The same can not be said for other people I know, even the ones in very well respected Thai private schools. The facade of a school often doesnt match up with the reality of working there.

• Like 1