Holidaying Alone

lucyf

:o Hi all. Having never been to Thailand but after hearing what a wonderfull place it is. I am wondering if it is a place that would be ideal for holidaying alone not been away for two years now get same thing from friends cant afford it or going away with there partners!!! so this year i thought why not just go on my own. I am girl of 22 do you think its a safe place for me to go??? and i like site seeing, love beeches and socilising drinking the usual stuff. Any recomedations of where abouts to go in Thailand not really keen on anywhere too comersilised this.

Any help would be great thanks :D

I think its a great place to travel by yourself - just remember keep your wits about you and I think you will be fine.

Beach is prob what you are looking for perhaps Phuket, Krabi, Koh Chang might be your best bets. :o Wherever you decide - keep posting and I'm quite sure a few members will meet up with you if you happen to be in their area. (we are the friendly sort here)

Edited by britmaveric

troll?

We really need to get out of this mentality that anyone with a low post count is a troll.

Lets just give her the benefit of doubt, innocent until proven otherwise?

I see your point, (hence the question mark) but she is only one year older than the Horton girl, and mentions being alone on beaches just after the Horton case, I just wanted everyone to be aware of the possibility before accepting possible troll bait, oh and she is a newbie too. I could be right, and I could be wrong, but it is a possibility, and i did use a question mark to show it as a maybe :o

troll?

We really need to get out of this mentality that anyone with a low post count is a troll.

Lets just give her the benefit of doubt, innocent until proven otherwise?

I see your point, (hence the question mark) but she is only one year older than the Horton girl, and mentions being alone on beaches just after the Horton case, I just wanted everyone to be aware of the possibility before accepting possible troll bait, oh and she is a newbie too. I could be right, and I could be wrong, but it is a possibility, and i did use a question mark to show it as a maybe :o

Not everyone is freaked out by that. I know a 20 year old girl who recently booked a trip to Thailand traveling alone that had heard about the case.

Thailand is a safe place to Travel alone if you apply simple common sense like someone would in their home country. Most travellers end up falling into groups of people so it's very rare that you will actually be travelling alone most of the time. Try visit Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi and I would highly recommend Laos!

Thailand is safe, but single women are real targets.

If I am paying for a "date" with a professional, I make sure that I never eat or drink anything that has been out of my sight, but that is a hard rule to stick to when your companions are supposed to be "friends". :o

Just keeping your wits about you is good advise.

Get a cell phone (nothing fancy) here and be conspicious about having it when you are alone. If you can, avoid the cheapest rung of accomidation, because that's where many of the problems with other foreigners can often occur.

Be aware that some people view Western women as "easy" and avoid sending out mixed signals when you are just not interested. Also, it's a traditional custom to have a chaperone when out with a date here (date can mean just going out, btw.) That's quickly changing, but if you are alone with somebody they may take it differently than you intend.

Just keeping your wits about you is good advise.

Get a cell phone (nothing fancy) here and be conspicious about having it when you are alone. If you can, avoid the cheapest rung of accomidation, because that's where many of the problems with other foreigners can often occur.

Be aware that some people view Western women as "easy" and avoid sending out mixed signals when you are just not interested. Also, it's a traditional custom to have a chaperone when out with a date here (date can mean just going out, btw.) That's quickly changing, but if you are alone with somebody they may take it differently than you intend.

Pearl - western women easy? :o Sorry I had to laff at that comment.

Anyways just don't let your guard down because you are on holiday and I agree seek accomodations that are middle ground and you shant have a problem. :D

Lucy...

Dont go too far off the beaten track on your own....Avoid dark and secluded areas...be aware of what is happening around you...try and remain around groups of people and avoid one on one situations unless that is what you want at that time. Basic survival instincts apply.

If you are going where there are Western run Bars....get to know some of the ex pats/ bar owners, by and large they will look out for you.

If you have the confidence to do a solo trip then good on ya....some of the places mentioned are good....Ko Chang, etc... It sounds like you want to cover a lot of areas...culture, beaches, nightlife, non touristy. Depends what you really want to do and see and your budget. Personally I think Pattaya would be ok... you will find most things there, a trip to the islands for the beach, Nong Nooch etc...for culture, nightlife abounding, plenty of cheap shopping and safety in numbers.

Your holiday is what you make it to be...just take care and good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by gburns57au

troll?
You know, after reading that first post I was asking myself the same question. The poster, declaring himself/herself to be female, does not say where she is from. The glaring mistakes in her English look so artificial, contrived, usually a hallmark of trolls. Later posts, I see, are in better English but still with glaring mistakes.

And I still think it’s a man. And I think he is using a new, additional nick to others he is already using.

Doesn’t thaivisa.com have an official troll sniffer?

-----------------

Maestro

I think its a great place to travel by yourself - just remember keep your wits about you and I think you will be fine.

Beach is prob what you are looking for perhaps Phuket, Krabi, Koh Chang might be your best bets. :o Wherever you decide - keep posting and I'm quite sure a few members will meet up with you if you happen to be in their area. (we are the friendly sort here)

I'm sure it's kindly met but the suggestion you meet up with members is profoundly foolish. As always be very cautious about meeting on line contacts.Best when you are here hook up with people of your own age which shouldn't be that difficult.Have fun but keep your wits about you.

What ever the poster's motives this might be useful to someone......

Here’s thirty things to think about…

1. Bring a cell phone “unblocked” and buy a Thai SIM card for it on arrival..

2. e.g. - International calls to UK are about 8baht per min…

3. Don’t bother with Travellers checks in any currency…they are to much hassle

4. Bring ATM and/or credit cards.

5. Very little cash – you tend to get a better rate of exchange here than any home country. Just enough to get you out of the airport to somewhere nice for the first night

6. Very few clothes – they are so cheap here and you’ll only bring stuff that is too warm.

7. Very little luggage – this makes you more mobile if you need to be and less vulnerable to taxi touts and undesirable men….

8. Before you go home you can buy any extra luggage (cheap) to take souvenirs etc.

9. There are baggage storage facilities at Bkk airport…

10. Mozzie spray – especially if you have the stuff from Oz.

11. Good quality sun-cream – especially the stuff in Oz.

12. Get some travel insurance – hospitals/medicine is cheap but why pay?

13. Check out a few “jabs” – don’t bother with the malaria ones – too heavy!

14. Internet access is everywhere – even on the beach…

15. Thai food is very unlikely to give you food poisoning but can contain more chillies than you ever thought possible…

16. Western (“farang”) food is extremely likely to give you food poisoning – fridges are not part of Thai cooking lore yet…

17. Use common safety sense – it is easy to relax too much here…when it comes to petty crime the rate is certainly lower than in places like the UK…but every country has its share of con-men and psychopaths…..

18. Get a phrase book – lonely planet is good as is their guide to Thailand (better than the rough guide)….

19. Make a friend on the plane and safe money on a taxi to your hotel when you arrive in Bkk. Check out the ways of getting out of Bkk airport.

20. Avoid spending your first night or few days in Bkk – go there at the end of your stay –its better once you’ve acclimatiz3ed, and the airport is about 45 min from the centre.

21. Don’t be afraid to go to Pattaya – it is the sex capital of Thailand but they don’t jump out at single women and has good, cheap hotels, shopping and food. Not a bad place to start off for Koh Chang, Koh Samet or Cambodia.

22. Remember Thailand is more than beaches – there are beautiful cities, national parks, forests and lakes up North – your guide book will help you there…

23. Bring an international driving licence – although most national ones are accepted by motorbike and car hire companies and anyone else who wants to hire you something….

24. check up on Thai manners and customs – this will earn you more respect from the locals.

25. Keep up some dress sense – how you dress in Thailand is quite important.

26. Don’t go topless without checking out if it’s acceptable where you are – usually it’s frowned upon.

27. You’ll notice that Thai women (even sex workers) are very modest in public –they usually swim fully clothed.

28. Check out table manners – Thais tend to eat from communal dishes in the centre of the table – don’t pour everything onto your own plate!

29. Don’t knock the royal family – even in jest.

30. Don’t point your feet at people – the body is seen as hierarchical and the feet are the lowest part and should not be waved about (this is like a “fingers up” sign.

I'm sure it's kindly met but the suggestion you meet up with members is profoundly foolish. As always be very cautious about meeting on line contacts.Best when you are here hook up with people of your own age which shouldn't be that difficult.Have fun but keep your wits about you.

Well coming from someone who is met alot of TV members I can assure you - we all look out for one another. Any rate thats why I said get to know people on here before you go - in the end it will be very beneficial to have mates around Thailand.

Well coming from someone who is met alot of TV members I can assure you - we all look out for one another. Any rate thats why I said get to know people on here before you go - in the end it will be very beneficial to have mates around Thailand.

Personally, I think this is a great idea (especially, the ladies in this forum). In a pinch I believe some nice people in this forum will be more than glad to assist another farang in need.

Thailand is a nice and safe place for you to travel. Please ignore any negative comments this place since; Its most certainly not true. If you paid attention to your mannorism, respect the cultures, be polite and friendly, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

ENJOY

Lucyf,

Have a look at this place, I think you would like it.http://www.phuketpalace.com/en/main-en.htm

if you do, please PM me and I'll arrange a good price for you.

You should specifically be very careful when considering offers like this. Despite very appealing photos, things might not be as the photos suggest. E.g. despite his sexy female avatar - in other posts, sonthaya has revealed he's male. Maybe, those wonderful resorts are garbage dumps?

Edited by rishi

Lucyf,

Have a look at this place, I think you would like it.http://www.phuketpalace.com/en/main-en.htm

You should specifically be very careful when considering offers like this. Despite very appealing photos, things might not be as the photos suggest. E.g. despite his sexy female avatar - in other posts, sonthaya has revealed he's male. Maybe, those wonderful resorts are garbage dumps?

Yeah, I thought that kind of thing wasn't permitted on ThaiVisa anyway? (Advertising hotel rooms lke that is what I'm talking about, not impersonating a female)

I've travelled in Thailand on my own, always had a great time, and found it very easy to meet and befriend other people, easier than it would be if you were out and about on your own in the U.K that's for sure. Like others have said, as long as you take the same precautions with your safety that you would at home then you should be fine, but it's worth reading this forum to prepare yourself for some of the issues that you won't neccessarily be accustomed to.

3. Don’t bother with Travellers checks in any currency…they are to much hassle

4. Bring ATM and/or credit cards.

Good advice until one of them gets lost, the magnetic stipe gets buggered, or the network goes down for a night. ATM cards can take over a week to replace with even the best banks, and Thailand is a terrible place to be broke. I've had American Express checks replaced in less than 20min. The commission for cashing them is often less than the ATM fees, although plastic does tend to have the best exchange rate.

cv

Lucyf,

Uh Sonthaya is alright lad and trust me there is nothing deceptive in his offer. :o

:o Hi all. Having never been to Thailand but after hearing what a wonderfull place it is. I am wondering if it is a place that would be ideal for holidaying alone not been away for two years now get same thing from friends cant afford it or going away with there partners!!! so this year i thought why not just go on my own. I am girl of 22 do you think its a safe place for me to go??? and i like site seeing, love beeches and socilising drinking the usual stuff. Any recomedations of where abouts to go in Thailand not really keen on anywhere too comersilised this.

Any help would be great thanks :D

Hi greetings from Chiangrai, Northern Thailand. Besides the beaches (south), in the north, you will find a different scenery altogether. We are surrounded with mountains and many greens as well as beautiful flowers. If you like hill tribe culture, the elephants and boating and most of all rustic and not touristy, then this may be the place. You did not idicate when you are coming to Thailand. April is the water festival where you can be drenched from head to toe, mind you it will be fun, though. Or you can opt to stay with some locals for the cross culture and food experience.

Welcome to Thailand.