Btc Chiang Mai - The New Israeli Restaurant

ARISTIDE

The new Israeli restaurant in Chiang Mai I was really impressed! Just near Pantip plaza intersection near the Yemeni Jewish restaurant. I know so little about Israeli food so I ordered what I know, baba ganoush, schnitzel and Sharwama and they are all excellent.

post-131333-0-27162600-1348305887_thumb.

post-131333-0-58850700-1348305945_thumb.

post-131333-0-14386700-1348305955_thumb.

Edited by ARISTIDE

> and what were the prices of said

I can't remember but they were mid range

>the shawarma, is it lamb meat? Do they have fallafel on the menu

It was chicken not sure if they have lamb. They do indeed have fallafel with pita and salad on the menu

Interesting & I just noticed the big picture of Falafel posted on their window the other day.

I admit I know nothing of Israeli food but have had Falafel before & liked it. Thanks

for heads up & will give them a try

O.T. but curious if anyone knows,

Before this place was built the previous place was demolished even though it did not look old.

For many weeks there was a Falang gentleman literally working daily on opening what looked like a coffee shop.

Did not look like a cheap place & had what looked like nice fittings/furniture etc. Seems odd to put all that in & then the place was soon demolished.

Anyone know what happened?

Edited by mania

• 1 month later...

Saw it too the other day--i think falafel(ground chickpeas deep fried) and fruit shake 100 baht promo

looks nice but odd--can use free wifi--get a sangsom/bar and eat falafel while getting tourist info!!??

talk about one stop shop---somebody dumped some money on that place--sure the thais love it!! wai2.gif

I think they eat chicken or turkey schnitzel

Quoted from Wikipedia

"Immigrants to Israel have incorporated elements of the cuisines of the cultures andcountries from whence they originated.[1] During approximately fifty years before 1948, there were successive waves of Jewish immigration, which brought with them a whole range of foods and cooking styles. Immigrants arriving from central Europe brought foods such as schnitzel and strudels, while Russian Jews brought borsht and herring."

Passed by a few times over the last month or so. Looked interesting. But since when is a schnitzel Israeli food? Maybe Austrian, German, Slovak, etc...but Israeli?

Edited by ARISTIDE

Jews and chicken go way back!

Chicken soup (Jewish penicillin), chopped chicken liver, schmaltz (don't asksick.gif ) ...

If any of your local Israeli restaurants have it, I suggest you try Shakshouka (ask for it spicy). Made from chicken eggs. (See a pattern?)

Origin from Tunisian (North African) Jews.

If done right, it tastes a lot better than you would expect and believe it or not it is very reminiscent of Mexican heuvos rancheros but served with good crusty bread (hopefully) instead of tortillas.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Shakshouka

My understanding is that Shakshouka in Israel is up there with hummus and falafel in popularity.

post-37101-0-80174000-1353172161_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing