Shangri La - Shame, Brunch

PingandSingh

Went to Shangri La for brunch today.

The only positive I can say is that the water they served was OK.

For all the rest: what a difference with some years ago when even the price was much lower.

the place is 5 star

brunch is priced 3-4 star

food served is 2-3 star

Both, my wife and myself were quite some time in our bathrooms after.

Waiste of money and good time. To be avoided for now.

And I had brunch there today and quite enjoyed the food and atmosphere. And saw lots of apparently happy diners. Since different people like different things, what's the point in recommending to all and sundry not to eat there?

Well the atmosphere is really nice. Had a buffet-there once and it sucked but I have heard so much about the sea food one all good I intend on going there for it. Went to a high tea once in the Empress in Victoria B C and did not care for it but hear they had one here at the Shangri La that is only 180 baht so I thought I would give it a try being as I like the atmosphere there.

The reason I mention this is because I like the atmosphere there. When you mentioned food and atmosphere I got to wondering how much the atmosphere played in your decision. If the food had been the same in all ways served in a greasy spoon would you still feel the same way about it.

Happy to learn that some people still like that kind of food. Enjoy.

Myself, however, being just a small ex-professional with a few well known restaurants cannot appreciate mushy and undercooked grilled salmon (the second they served, the first was a bit better but still NOT good). The same applies for white corn soup that has the look and taste of coconut milk mixed with water. Too watery were ALL sauces. Bearnaise, thousand island to name a few are NOT as liquid as milk! All main dishes were cold; the fish, the chicken, the indian duck, the vegatables, the potatoes........ The fish with the vegatables on the left was salmon slices and too dry, just as the duck was too dry. And so on and so on. Even the tiramisu was too creamy and too heavy.

We came mainly for the king crab legs and shrimps but not on the buffet this time.

3, 4 times a year we join the brunch and every time we are more disappointed.

Right down the street is the Bossotel inn.They have a good buffet breakfast.

I'm not sure of the price off the street.But being your at Riverside area,ya might want to go there and check it out.They do A good job.

I think you need the Bangkok forum.

Right down the street is the Bossotel inn.They have a good buffet breakfast.

I'm not sure of the price off the street.But being your at Riverside area,ya might want to go there and check it out.They do A good job.

I think you need the Bangkok forum.

I'll second the Bossotel breakfast review even though they are in BKK. Good little place for the money and a nice location.

Me and the wife like The Shangrila it's comfortable and I enjoy the food.

I think the OP meant to say the food sucks

Did you got food poisoning? BTW, do you and your wife have separate bathrooms? rolleyes.gif

Did you got food poisoning? BTW, do you and your wife have separate bathrooms? rolleyes.gif

Yes Semper, with 5.700 + post on your account................ what can I say?

From WebMD

What Causes Diarrhea?

Infection by bacteria (the cause of most types of food poisoning).

Yes Sir, we have seperate bathrooms.

The food indeed sucks lately at their CM branch

It’s nice to know that some one out there has such a vast knowledge on food. Could you please tell me where I can get 2 to 3 star food the same as the Shangri La? Then I can compare your rather bad review of the Shangri La. I grant you that it is not 5 star food but where can you get a full pizza, salad, pasta, and sweets bar like that and homemade bread with lobster bisque. Not to mention the sushi and sashimi bar. Plus a roast of the day which was a nice bit of lamb when I went. For 320 baht I thought it was value for money the service and surroundings also help to make it a good experience.

Had the lunch buffet, wish the food was as nice as the setting but they started taking the food away way before the closing time, right after I got there, and it was all put away before I had a chance to finish, still early never the less all the waiters running around cleaning up and moving tables next to us as we were dining.

I think you will find that most married people have separate bathrooms in their home but what does that have to do with anything and why would you care???

Edited by elektrified

It’s nice to know that some one out there has such a vast knowledge on food. Could you please tell me where I can get 2 to 3 star food the same as the Shangri La? Then I can compare your rather bad review of the Shangri La. I grant you that it is not 5 star food but where can you get a full pizza, salad, pasta, and sweets bar like that and homemade bread with lobster bisque. Not to mention the sushi and sashimi bar. Plus a roast of the day which was a nice bit of lamb when I went. For 320 baht I thought it was value for money the service and surroundings also help to make it a good experience.

Wow, yes I am in for a delicious lobster bisque. Unfortunately I had to digest tasteless watery corn cream soup. And for 320 Baht?... Why we had to pay almost 500 Baht (420 ++) each for brunch? Something fishy here.