Where Is The Cheapest Place For A Farang In Thailand?

NeverSure

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that whilst it is possible the one important thing that could wipe you out, is that scooter you spoke of, you have one accident on that, or any other accident or illness and the medical financial consequences could be severe. Make sure you got that aspect covered in any budget you work on.

over 60, hard to get a good insurance for a 'good' price.

It doesn't matter where you live in Thailand, it only remains low cost if you can manage to avoid stopping someone else spending your money.

At sometime down the line you'll be faced with a young woman wanting you to satisfy her 'young woman's needs' - At the time this happens there will be a mistranslation of what 'a young woman's needs' are.

You'll have one idea, she'll have another - It is very likely that you will confuse 'a young woman's needs' with your own 'old man's needs'.

For the record, and in the hope you remember, 'a young woman's needs' - a home, a family, a car, pretties for the house, pretties for herself - (and here in Thailand) - an income for her mother.

You are going to have a hard head to keep away from that mess.

Wanna bet, LOL? Twice in my life I've given half of everything I had to an American woman and there are those here who would do it again.

Again, I'm not dumb enough to believe that there's a cute young thing anywhere in the world who'd be interested in me for any reason other than my ATM card. As I said before, if it isn't possible in Thailand to just date without supporting the whole family, then I'll get a massage. smile.png

Definition of young, please? Even a cute mid 40's 'young thing' can make it into your wallet, if you assume, that this is a 'interested older lady', because....!

Maybe I'd buy a car and explore even more. I spend a LOT of time on the internet for various reasons.

Here we go:

Golf and Car

100miles on a scooter is minimum 3-4times cheaper, as in a car.

A set of good tires for a bike is below 1000 baht, a good set for a car is minimum 15.000.

Cheap to repair a motorcycles, but cheap repair a car, is eh,.....!

But never the less, 1-1.5k$ should be ok, as long you not decide to have a permanent partner!

Time sharing is the best solution, I would say

For the Golf 'thing', I think you need to check the options. And that (budget) will limit the places, to settle down

Edited by noob7

Maybe I'd buy a car and explore even more. I spend a LOT of time on the internet for various reasons.

Here we go:

Golf and Car

100miles on a scooter is minimum 3-4times cheaper, as in a car.

A set of good tires for a bike is below 1000 baht, a good set for a car is minimum 15.000.

Cheap to repair a motorcycles, but cheap repair a car, is eh,.....!

But never the less, 1-1.5k$ should be ok, as long you not decide to have a permanent partner!

Time sharing is the best solution, I would say

For the Golf 'thing', I think you need to check the options. And that (budget) will limit the places, to settle down

I appreciate any and all thoughts. I really do. I'm really learning from this thread and even noticing the cost of tires is helpful.

I just paid $650 or more than $20,000 BHT for new basic tires for my Ford F 150 4x4 in the US. I would pay cash for a car from selling that newer pickup here, and also cash for the scooter. That's if I buy a car. I don't do debt, and I have savings plus valuable things to sell here to raise cash for replacements.

Hope that clarifies.

It doesn't matter where you live in Thailand, it only remains low cost if you can manage to avoid stopping someone else spending your money.

At sometime down the line you'll be faced with a young woman wanting you to satisfy her 'young woman's needs' - At the time this happens there will be a mistranslation of what 'a young woman's needs' are.

You'll have one idea, she'll have another - It is very likely that you will confuse 'a young woman's needs' with your own 'old man's needs'.

For the record, and in the hope you remember, 'a young woman's needs' - a home, a family, a car, pretties for the house, pretties for herself - (and here in Thailand) - an income for her mother.

Wanna bet, LOL? Twice in my life I've given half of everything I had to an American woman and there are those here who would do it again.

Again, I'm not dumb enough to believe that there's a cute young thing anywhere in the world who'd be interested in me for any reason other than my ATM card. As I said before, if it isn't possible in Thailand to just date without supporting the whole family, then I'll get a massage. smile.png

It will get awful lonely in the cheapest places in Thailand where no one speaks your language. There will be plenty of pretty young things being pushed by their parents to snare the farang to provide for the family. The temptation maybe tough.

The cheaper you go the less work there is for the locals and less businesses created by them. It is very possible to date in Thailand without supporting the family , but if you go to some cheap jobless place it's nigh on impossible.

The only real difference in what you get for your money depending on location is the size of the house/ condo and if a house the amount of land it will be on.

You can live cheaply anywhere in Thailand it's all down to your lifestyle. If you go somewhere cheap in a cheap property you probably won't have any form of kitchen facilities or even a shower so you will need to buy all this as well as furniture if you want anything like a western standard residence. Otherwise you will be showering cold from a bucket and sitting on the floor and sleeping on a painful bed.

If you don't work Thailand gets incredibly boring and tiresome, you may start spending or drinking to counteract this especially if you are somewhere where no one speaks your language and you can't trust any female company who is probably after you because they believe you are rich. You could end up like some of our posters in the back waters bitter against all women and Thais.

If you are on your own you should move somewhere where there are other farangs. If you live on a cheap moo ban and either cook yourself or eat at locals places away from the places catering for tourists places like Pattaya and Hua hin are very cheap to live. It's also more likely that where you rent will have some western comforts. Even lots of bars there with farangs drinking in are dirt cheap compared to Bangkok and the Eastern seaboard closer to Bangkok.

Go somewhere where there's other farangs it may cost you maybe a couple of thousand a month extra in rent in a local moo ban, but if you live cheaply that's really it. It could save you a lot in the long run. Especially on shrinks bills back home.

• Like 1

Will you need to do visa runs ? That's another cost.

The thing that worries me is in 12 years you will have 46,000 B a month but you will be 78 and alone. What if you can't get about or have medical bills to pay. As you've already said inflation needs to be taken into account. What will a maid or a nurses wage be then if you need one ? Especially if popularist 50% wage rises keep happening. I know you said you will have savings , will it be enough.

Do people on retirement visas need to pay any sort of tax ?

Will you need to do visa runs ? That's another cost.

The thing that worries me is in 12 years you will have 46,000 B a month but you will be 78 and alone. What if you can't get about or have medical bills to pay. As you've already said inflation needs to be taken into account. What will a maid or a nurses wage be then if you need one ? Especially if popularist 50% wage rises keep happening. I know you said you will have savings , will it be enough.

Do people on retirement visas need to pay any sort of tax ?

Maybe a reason, for wanna save another 45.000/month/12 years, to have hopefully ~6.500.000 in a Bank account?

And visa runs, with a income of 3000US/month or 800k/Baht on a Bank is up 2 him, but not really needed. Visa extension 1900/year (at time)

I think you've are been given a lot of good advice here.

However beside the hard money talk (that go me on major flame wars in the past), I think the most important thing is that you should decide with your heart, not the wallet. And that doesn't mean you will have to fall in love with someone, all the contrary actually.

What that I mean, no matter which place and which lifestyle you will elect, everything it will be so deeply different from the US, that it may shock and confuse you, and make difficult to make further educated choices. So you will have to go around, see and learn, allow some time before settling in a given place.

By the way, I live (part-time) in Phuket, that according to most is one of the most expensive places in the Kingdom. Yet, my nice brand-new small single-family house (not an apartment), with all utilities and Internet is less than 12,000. Bt monthly. All the other expenses are widely variable according to each one tastes and needs.

Good luck...

Edited by paz

I would check out Udon Thani. Lot's of retired expats living there, quite a nice community feeling, western food and shopping available. The expats hold regular golf trips, fishing trips etc. Not crowded or polluted. Good airport connections to Bangkok Chiang Mai and Phuket and a few good hospitals. All geared up for the expat retiree.

I would check out Udon Thani. Lot's of retired expats living there, quite a nice community feeling, western food and shopping available. The expats hold regular golf trips, fishing trips etc. Not crowded or polluted. Good airport connections to Bangkok Chiang Mai and Phuket and a few good hospitals. All geared up for the expat retiree.

I got told, these expats up in the north met their wife, in other areas, before they moved there.

To settle down, with house and everything.

So how many of these expat in that community have chosen Udon without knowing any of the family, not even the wife?

Edited by noob7

I got told, these expats up in the north met their wife, in other areas, before they moved there.

So how many of these expat in that community have chosen Udon without knowing any of the family, not even the wife?

I get told a lot of things, doesn't mean they are true, especially in Thailand.

I think this used to be the case but from years of visiting there I have noticed more and more people choosing to settle down there, seems they are getting younger too.

I think this used to be the case but from years of visiting there I have noticed more and more people choosing to settle down there, seems they are getting younger too.

You are right, with the 'told' thing, absolutely!

But if the people themselves telling you, on a short holiday from wife and family, that makes it a bit reliable, I think.

What, in this case, means younger? Before retirement?

Edited by noob7

I don't need much except hot and cold running water (shower), electricity, a way to do basic cooking, high speed internet and a scooter. I have no interest in a big city or the sex trade. I'm not much of a drinker. I don't need to party or hang out in bars.

If all above is you: Wherever you want, in Thailand.

Ok, the Internet is limiting it a bit, but 1500US$/~45.000 Baht gives you everything you need, under the posted guideline.

I know people, earning only 30-35.000, but living a 'hang out in bars' life in Phuket. Probably the/one place with the highest living costs, in Thailand.

Are you talking 45,000 baht as being total budget he would need per month?

You were doing ok until you got to the high speed internet.

Anyone that asks about the cheapest place to live in Thailand is doomed before they ever begin. If you are living close to the edge, there's no better place to stay than the US now that it has become a welfare state with more than 1/2 of the populace on public assistance of one sort or another.

Here we go. ermm.gifsaai.gif

I don't need much except hot and cold running water (shower), electricity, a way to do basic cooking, high speed internet and a scooter. I have no interest in a big city or the sex trade. I'm not much of a drinker. I don't need to party or hang out in bars.

If all above is you: Wherever you want, in Thailand.

Ok, the Internet is limiting it a bit, but 1500US$/~45.000 Baht gives you everything you need, under the posted guideline.

I know people, earning only 30-35.000, but living a 'hang out in bars' life in Phuket. Probably the/one place with the highest living costs, in Thailand.

Are you talking 45,000 baht as being total budget he would need per month?

As I wrote, I know people with 20-30% less, surviving with bars and heavy drinking.

The OP named it, we can only calculate the money needed for a life under those chosen circumstances.

Do you think, 45.000 wouldn't be enough?

for

"I don't need much except hot and cold running water (shower), electricity, a way to do basic cooking, high speed internet and a scooter. I have no interest in a big city or the sex trade. I'm not much of a drinker. I don't need to party or hang out in bars."

Even with 'sometimes a massage', as he added later, I assume, he can save minimum half of his 90k/month

You are right, with the 'told' thing, absolutely!

But if the people themselves telling you, on a short holiday from wife and family, that makes it a bit reliable, I think.

What, in this case, means younger? Before retirement?

Yes, from my observations over an 8 year period passing through Udon. Admittedly I have never lived there but the expat community seems to be getting younger, if I were to live in Thailand I would consider living there too and I'm not quite pushing up the daisies yet at 40.

• Like 1

NeverSure is that what You are? I DON'T mean any harm with asking You that! I felt the same before I moved to Thailand. But I think that You must have a long time economical perspective of Your future in Thailand. You can absolutely live here within Your budget plus Your savings.

Especially if You stay in rural area with INTERNET, i totally agree with You on that point. BUT if You meet a lovely lady and start a family things are going to change dramatically. I mean money wise...

I would say go for it!! BUT be "street smart" and take care of Your money...Best of luck!

Well, I am very truthful not only in my revealing my financial situation, but in my desire to be frugal. I'm afraid of inflation and wanting to be ready for it. I also mentioned that I have US$1500 per month which will stop in about 12 years so I want to save it.

Not only do I have savings, but I have things of value to sell before I come. One example would be my late model Ford F150 4x4 pickup which is free and clear. I have other things of noticeable value such as an extensive gun and ammo collection which I would sell on gunbroker.com.

So, I would arrive with substantial savings and $US3k per month dropping to $US1500 per month in 12 years. I plan to save that $1500 per month. Anything I buy initially including a scooter would come out of pocket.

Who knows what the final $1500 per month will really be worth in 12+ years? Since I can't know, I must prepare. Therefore, I hope to live on little and really put some money away because it's all I'll ever have.

As for getting married, I really doubt it. I'm 66 and been there done that. I don't get under the ether over some woman any more. I know what they are and it isn't just Thailand. I'm really not interested in being someone's whole family's ATM machine. I'm not dumb enough to believe that some cute young thing would be attracted to me for any reason other than that.

Don't count yourself out. There are plenty of old and ugly girls in Thailand, and there are also women closer to your age that are attractive and not out just for your money. Ease into it, use your head (big one on your shoulders), be smart and you will be fine. I have been married to a cute young thing for the past twenty years living mostly in Hawaii and a few years in Maryland and intend to make the move to rural Thailand in a couple of years (I am only 49 years old). We are going to build a modest house (est $30,000 USD), and our plan is to budget $1000 per month for living expenses (but we est. spending less than $700 each month). $1500 per month is more than enough in Issan (Buriram, Khorat, Surin, etc.) or Chang Mai. Chang Mai is cooler temperature wise. Make the move you will be fine on the amount of money you have.

Yeah, Chiang Mai. About women. I'm serious. If it isn't PC to just have a girlfriend, then I'll settle for a massage. I've spent all the money and had all the hassle I ever need from marriage.

Understand. It is PC to just have a girlfriend. Wish you luck and enjoy your retirement. I will be a year or two behind you.

My wife sucks me dry every month. What seems like a good income doesn't go very far.

My advice to the OP: stay away from women and remain single. Your wallet will LOVE you.

you dont have to pay for poon here, bring some self worth over with you.

If u come and live where I live i.e. latphrao.. U can get a fully furnished and air conditioned room for 3500 a month + Utilities will not cross 2000 a month (bcause a lot of places here charge the govt. rate). Groceries and sundries ,as draftvader wrote, will be near 8000 a month. A HIGH speed internet connection will cost you approximately 1300 a month . If u drive a scooter it cost u near 2000 a month. So ur total expenses wud be 16800 Baht / 560 USD a month. There are a lot of 7eleven's so buying stuff won't be a problem.

3,500 is kinda cheap.

From the rates, I guess u r deep in the soi.

Can't be around ladprao soi 1 - 35, where the MRT is.

So u r either in soi 71, 101, or soi mahathai.

I would recommend the OP to get an apartment around sukhumvit road. Soi 5 onwards will do just fine.

Thonglor, ekamai, on nut.

Rental isn't going to be more than 10,000.

Out of the farang zone, its hard for someone new to communicate with anybody. its almost impossible to find somebody who speaks English out of the usual farang zone.

If u r here to enjoy the life, spend some money, and live the life.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by theoldgit
Racist remarks removed from quote

You can get a small western home with Kitchen firdge and furniture one or two bedrooms in Ao Nang for 7000 and 10000 bath some include internet, another water but you must rent by year pay every 3 months, Krabi is a good option too but I didn't find cheap homes only thai homes for 3000 4500 no furniture, thai toilet, no kitchen (usually people cook under a roof but outside the home without tables in the floor)

Motorbike you rent per month about 2500 old 3500 new cheap models 4000 6000 some big or special model.

Since you can not get credit at all if you want to buy a motorbike the prices now for an automatic honda go between 45000 65000 thai models.

light go from 200 bath to 4000 bath, normal using fan fridge cooking no aircon at all no hot water around 400 with hot water 600 with aircon some hours in the night 1000 using aircon every day 4000

water no more than 200 bath

internet, the cheap one 590 7mb or 10mb, 700 with landline

food, have many markets but cook or buy probably need a time but if you do yourself you save between 50% or 75% some spices or western vegetables, milk, cheese etc are quite expensive, fish, thai fruit and vegetables are cheaper.

Thai people eat 5 times per day tasty small racion in the street around 25 45 bath in thai restoran 30 80 some special food are expensive, a good pork shop or rive eye steak 250 in cheap and good thai restorant, 350 normal 450 in the beach 600 imported from NZ for give you an idea.

In Krabi you can eat 3 or 4 times in a vegetarian buffet for less than 120 bath per day, amazing food!! In Krabi I can live or survive for less than 8000 bath with that restoran and some cheap room around.

of course things for clean your self and the home, the same prices that in wherever country

I usually drink red wine, the prices are crazy 300 or 400% for good wines, I have my 5 liter moint clare box for 950 bath :) that is pretty good for the price.

what more??

Trip to the Islands

60 100 bath to rayley

450 to koh phi phi

tours to every where from 800 to 1800 per day.

Many things to do, no so turistic with many beach still undeveloped plus many of the best islands, beachs and dive area in the world.

My wife is from Loei a great little place 140 km NW from Udon Thani and will probably retire there when the time comes but would not hesitate to relocate to Udon Thani.

A really good sized town that has all the ammenities that you need both Western and Thai.