Help! How To Entertained A 12-Year-Old Boy During School Holidays

Saan

My 12-year=old step-son will be in my tender care for about a month over school holidays while mum is working. What do I do with him? Are there any holiday camps, borstal? He loves football (soccer). Are there any clinics during the holidays? I'd rather he was out doing something than glued to the TV or internet for the duration. Any ideas greatfully received.

P.S. He speaks almost no English.

As it's a holiday, I'd treat it as such and travel somewhere. Like a beach are where there are also non-beach things to do that are fun for kids, such as Phuket or the Pattaya area.

That's whast I'm planning for the upcoming holiday anyway.

Other than that, do all the Chiang Mai stuff that's fun for kids like the zoo and night safari, go swimming somewhere, etc. All this is better when he's with friends of a similar age. (Not to mention easier, because the kids can have fun by themselves without you needing to cheerlead all the time.)

I got a hunch you never had kids of your own then?

Plenty of things to do here, that don't have to cost money, other than maybe bike/car fuel.

kids love waterfalls, climbing on rocks........there are loads here..one behind the zoo at the foot of Doi suthep; another 200m further up.

take him to the temples, I am sure he is buddhist and will appreciate something there.

700yr stadium, find somewhere to play tennis, or kickaround with a ball, badminton

try a day fishing with him at Borsang lake.

there must be other kids home from school he can play with...and as mentioned above, at 12yr old every little girl becomes an attraction.

but try and show interest yourself, kids pick up easily if you dont care or enjoy your time with them. a time to bond, get it wrong and it takes 20yr to get back.

I got a hunch you never had kids of your own then?

Plenty of things to do here, that don't have to cost money, other than maybe bike/car fuel.

kids love waterfalls, climbing on rocks........there are loads here..one behind the zoo at the foot of Doi suthep; another 200m further up.

take him to the temples, I am sure he is buddhist and will appreciate something there.

700yr stadium, find somewhere to play tennis, or kickaround with a ball, badminton

try a day fishing with him at Borsang lake.

there must be other kids home from school he can play with...and as mentioned above, at 12yr old every little girl becomes an attraction.

but try and show interest yourself, kids pick up easily if you dont care or enjoy your time with them. a time to bond, get it wrong and it takes 20yr to get back.

I have had kids of my own but they grew up in Azustralia near surf beaches and Sydney Harbour. So surfing and sailing were an easy option and as for anything else I knew where to take them. Surfing and sailing do not seem to be an option in Chiang Mai. I bought him a bicycle, after being assurred that was what he really wanted, and it has been used by him twice. Someone suggested teaching him English. I have tried to coax him into learning 'I am Thai and I don't need to speak English.' I've even threatrened to cut off pocket money if he does not bring his English work home from school so I can work with him. Don't get me wrong he is a nice kid and generally easy to get along with - he just has some blocks. Football and Tom and Jerry seem to be his only passions at this stage (oh how I want Tom to eat Jerry).

• Like 1

Tae Kwon Do, Football clubs

Paintball if there's a group.

Zoo/night safari/museum

Ziplining as a treat/carrot on stick at end of holidays only if he promises to use bicycle and do English homework every day.

Although if there's no improvement you might have the urge to take him bungee jumping! whistling.gif

Perhaps buy him some inflatable arm-bands if he cannot swim, no problem otherwise, a cheap plastic blow-up boat/dingy and head out to

Huay Tong Tau lake on the canal road just past the sports stadium. I have taken my and other folks kids there and they love the swimming activity. There are also pedalos for rent.

Along the 'beach are wooden salas to have a kip in and a restaurant. In the event that your knees give out after 15 minutes of sitting cross-legged n the sala there are wooden and concrete table and chairs.

Cheers

Gladiator

Boys like camping!

10 pin Bowling.

Fishing

Off road stuff.

rafting

Tiger world

Going to the cinema.

archery (there is one somewhere)

shooting - may be a smallbore or airgun place?

fast food - McDonalds

Revolting high sugar drinks and ice-cream.

Playing games on computer that take 2 eg Wii

This is a major chance to bond so give it every chance.

• Like 1

Boys like camping!

10 pin Bowling.

Fishing

Off road stuff.

rafting

Tiger world

Going to the cinema.

archery (there is one somewhere)

shooting - may be a smallbore or airgun place?

fast food - McDonalds

Revolting high sugar drinks and ice-cream.

Playing games on computer that take 2 eg Wii

This is a major chance to bond so give it every chance.

Your wrong, a phone with the gadgets and a sofa to lay on. thumbsup.gif ..................laugh.png

Teach him some household shores, car/mc washing, garden work etc.....smile.png

You must be joking laugh.png

We are teaching HIM here which leg goes out of bed first, hope we crack it his next term. . laugh.png

No, I'm dead serious. This would be a good introduction to the jobs available to him, if he's not interested in getting an education.

English camp? I'm sending mine to English camp during the holiday. He won't miss a day until school starts again.

My tariff English camp is very reasonable if he likes KFC and laying around. thumbsup.gif

My kid won't be laying around or eating KFC. He's going to a serious one.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, is anything serious in LOS ? whistling.gif

Round him and his mates from the area up, get a football, You become the ref and organise 2 teams or if numbers are small, you become the goalie.

You say you bought him a bike, did you get one for yourself as well, if not then get one. if he is alone with his bike then he will get fed up with it easily. Go out with him on the bikes, go for cycles in the countryside, talk to him and get to know him better.

Take him on picnics and other outings, preferably the whole family.

Try to teach him some English, never try to force him to learn with threats of punishment, it will never work, in fact it will have the opposite effect.

Edited by I Like Thai

Teach him some household shores, car/mc washing, garden work etc.....smile.png

You must be joking laugh.png

We are teaching HIM here which leg goes out of bed first, hope we crack it his next term. . laugh.png

No, I'm dead serious. This would be a good introduction to the jobs available to him, if he's not interested in getting an education.

He's interested in the cause of sleeping sickness, and he's trying to get to the root of it, but we have trouble waking him up. sad.png ..............................................laugh.png

As for English, try to get him to pick it up without it actually seeming like formal learning with a book and everything. Eg all the cool TV cartoons and movies: English only. All things fun should happen in English. wink.png

Sound advice Winnie, sound advice. You should be a teacher, my son can put in a good word for you at his place of work, they of course know me too.

let me know. wai.gif