My Rowing Machine.

NeverSure

I'm fortunate to live on the W. Coast of the US, on a river which produces salmon and steelhead. Steelhead are rainbow trout which go out into the ocean for 2 or three years, get much bigger - 7 - 12 pounds, and then come back up the river to spawn. The Chinook salmon (same as Alaska's King Salmon) also hatch in the river and then go out to sea and return to lay eggs for hatching.

These fish each return at 2 different times per year, making a total of 4 separate "runs" when we can fish. Each run lasts at least 2 months, meaning there are large fish to catch much of the time.

The first pic is my rowing machine. The second is my rowing machine. The third is just a pic of a fisherman. I don't know the guy, but he has a BIG salmon even for these parts. I make it over 50 pounds. Average is more like 25 pounds.

Double whammy. Exercise and fish in the freezer.

This is what I will miss most when I move to Thailand next year.

post-164212-0-61806800-1348459493_thumb.

post-164212-0-27711600-1348459551_thumb.

post-164212-0-26665300-1348459579_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

My (and most people around here) salmon recipe.

Make a boat of aluminum foil big enough to hold the filet, with sides bent up to hold juices. Lay salmon in that, skin down.

Butter the salmon and sprinkle with garlic salt and lemon pepper.

Start BBQ and add any green hardwood material including leaves to generate smoke.

Place salmon on foil in BBQ on medium heat. Close lid. Cook just until the meat segments will flake apart with a fork - maybe about 20 minutes.

Eat!

By the sounds of it life is too good there in the USA. Why do you want to move to Thailand? All that fresh air and fresh (free) healthy food. Salmon is expensive here - about 1000 baht per kilo and the quality certainly wouldn't match what you're catching.

I gave up living on a surf beach in Australia to move to SE Asia. First Philippines, then Thailand. I often regret it.

In Australia I used my Concept 2 rower looking out at the surf from my living room - now I look at a concrete wall while rowing.

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. I lived on a surf beach (Surfers Paradise) for about 20 years and took it for granted.

• 1 month later...

By the sounds of it life is too good there in the USA. Why do you want to move to Thailand? All that fresh air and fresh (free) healthy food. Salmon is expensive here - about 1000 baht per kilo and the quality certainly wouldn't match what you're catching.

I gave up living on a surf beach in Australia to move to SE Asia. First Philippines, then Thailand. I often regret it.

In Australia I used my Concept 2 rower looking out at the surf from my living room - now I look at a concrete wall while rowing.

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. I lived on a surf beach (Surfers Paradise) for about 20 years and took it for granted.

So true - I had a great condo on the beach, great running routes within 5 minutes of my place and life was good. However life happens..... All is impermanent.

Now I just will do my best and what comes out of it is just a bonus. However - I still remember my days in California doing triathlons with Mark Allen, Scott Tinley, Mike Pigg and others. Great fun