Vbox Running In Debian Host - Want To Run Native Xp As Guest

jpinx

My eeepc came with XP home pre-installed and I have done some partitioning and made space for Debian. Now I have added vbox and I want to run the XP native partition as a guest, but it gives me a bsod and error (attached). I am told this is because of a hardware change?

If anyone can shed any light I'd much appreciate it-....

post-122054-0-45379600-1348470210_thumb.

Can you start up XP directly? If so perform all window checks from within there first.

If still no joy, I'm guess, you could reinstall XP via your emulator... but all this vbox stuff is more experimental; it's not really for production use. Try to free yourself from such an endeavour and just stick to your Debian if you can.

Edited by Morakot

Yes - XP runs natively without issues, I was recommended to create a 2nd hardware profile for the virtual machine to run, which I did and XP still runs ok natively, but the vm gets this bsod whichever hardware profile I try to boot

What other windows checks are you referring to?

Never heard of this before, I guess you have to install xp from within vbox as xp will recognize vbox emulated hardware

Problem with that is that it was a pre-installed XP. There are no CD's and there's no CD tray in an eeepc anyway ;)

Never heard of this before, I guess you have to install xp from within vbox as xp will recognize vbox emulated hardware

Problem with that is that it was a pre-installed XP. There are no CD's and there's no CD tray in an eeepc anyway ;)

download an iso image of xp via torrent or go to some friend/shop to get image copied to a usb stick

Yes - XP runs natively without issues, I was recommended to create a 2nd hardware profile for the virtual machine to run, which I did and XP still runs ok natively, but the vm gets this bsod whichever hardware profile I try to boot

What other windows checks are you referring to?

I don't know. Sorry, I have never uses XP or other windows for more than a decade.

Problem with that is that it was a pre-installed XP. There are no CD's and there's no CD tray in an eeepc anyway wink.png

download an iso image of xp via torrent or go to some friend/shop to get image copied to a usb stick

I'm guessing that will be an non-licensed copy of XP ? ;)

Problem with that is that it was a pre-installed XP. There are no CD's and there's no CD tray in an eeepc anyway wink.png

I'm guessing that will be an non-licensed copy of XP ? ;)

no comment :P

My girlfriend likes to use XP running messengers with cam - especially msn messenger which has lots of "features" only useable between 2 users of the windows version of messenger.

I'm happy in debian - I use bitlbee for all my messengers + irc without issues. :)

My girlfriend likes to use XP running messengers with cam - especially msn messenger which has lots of "features" only useable between 2 users of the windows version of messenger.

I'm happy in debian - I use bitlbee for all my messengers + irc without issues. smile.png

How about this one?

http://www.amsn-project.net/

Let us know how this works.

I'm happy in debian - I use bitlbee for all my messengers + irc without issues. smile.png

How about this one?

Yes - tried that over many years - but now MSN changes so often that aMSN can't keep up. They say they are not going to try anymore - just keep the basic message functions going. Install it and see for yourself ;)

How about this one?

Yes - tried that over many years - but now MSN changes so often that aMSN can't keep up. They say they are not going to try anymore - just keep the basic message functions going. Install it and see for yourself wink.png

I take it you've tried all the others with webcam function: Kopete, Pidgin/gaim, SIM... wink.png

I run Virtual Box in Linux Mint and have done so for about three years now. You need to install a copy of WinXP or Win 7 as client in VB. The easist way is to use an install CD of the Win but can also use a mounted ISO image. Very simple installation, exactly the same as regular full Win XP install. But you do need to get that source CD.

Many thanks for the replies and hints. I hit the rate limit for using this forum very quickly - too quicklyto have a meaningful discussion in a short space of time ;)

I am familiar with debian having used it for about ten years now. I am also familiar with solutions to most "running-windows-stuff" problems. There are plenty of suitable, sometimes better applications for most things in Linux. The messenger problem has always been a real problem, largely because of the need for Yahoo, msn, who-ever to hit yu with advertising while you're using their system. They hate bitlbee and Wilmer, the guy who wrote bitlbee, has a full-time job keeping up with the changes to the various protocols just for the simple text messaging part.

I tried Gyachi for Yahoo, but they gave up maintaining it - again because of frequent protocol changes. aMSN has the same trouble, but manages to maintain the textual messaging. They appear to have abandoned hope of retaining the webcam facility. Skype with cam is packaged and works natively in Debian, but with less facilities than the windows version.

The upshot of all this is that to get messenger systems working as they do natively requires them to run on a windows platform. I did try wine, but it is such a mess.....

I'll persevere with trying to get the native XP to run in vbox - that is the perfect solution for many reasons. Once I get it running I will try to get it to work with a separate set of hardware - screen, kbd and cam as per the multi-seat systems do.

I'll bump this thread if/when I get progress in case anyone is interested. Meantime - all advice is most welcome :)

• Like 1

If you google you'll find various builds of portable MSN Messenger that may run under Wine. I don't find Wine a mess.

You can possibly run an image that you've made w/ imaging software such as Macrium Reflect.

http://kb.macrium.com/ExportPDF50005.aspx

You can run the mini-XP included on Hiren's Boot CD.

If you google you'll find various builds of portable MSN Messenger that may run under Wine. I don't find Wine a mess.

You can possibly run an image that you've made w/ imaging software such as Macrium Reflect.

http://kb.macrium.co...rtPDF50005.aspx

Thanks for the tip about Hiren's bootable CD - I'll try that when I get a chance to download it.

Imaging "software" is a bit academic when Linux can make an image out of almost anything usng dd

Thanks for the tip about Hiren's bootable CD - I'll try that when I get a chance to download it.

Imaging "software" is a bit academic when Linux can make an image out of almost anything usng dd

But you see your problem isn't just making an image. It's booting that image as a VM. Macrium has a plugin for the purpose that may or may not be helpful.

Therefore it isn't academic.

But you see your problem isn't just making an image. It's booting that image as a VM. Macrium has a plugin for the purpose that may or may not be helpful.

Therefore it isn't academic.

OK - I take your point and I'll have a look. I've been trying to download that Macrium thing - it appears to be a massive .pdf and hangs during download.

The download shows this as the url - which is surely strange...

D:\Webs\KB\Uploads\Temp\bb79bd90-4cbf-a66d-cbbo17c2435a_50005.pdf.pdf

Any clues ? wink.png

Edited by jpinx

I did something similar in the past on one of our computers, the virtual machine software was different, but I guess it works similar. What you need to do is force your Windows XP to boot in SAFE MODE, without VGA or network drivers.... When you have it running in safe mode you need to install your virtual machine tools and reboot... After this the system will work, and with some luck you can now run it as dedicated operating system or as host operating system in your virtual machine running Linux....

Tip: It's hard to be fast enough to tricker a boot in safe mode when MS Windows XP starts in a virtual machine so best you search how to change MS Windows XP boot-up settings in dedicated mode to boot next time in safe mode...

Note: By the way it's not possible to boot Windows VIsta or Windows 7 in decicated and virtual machine with one installation...

Edited by Richard-BKK