Thailand's Justice System

likewise

Reason why I posted this is to get some thoughts from other nationalities where bail is allowed, I agree with the innocent till proven guilty but if one gets arrested and there is evidence I really do not see a reason why that person should be allowed bail.

As I mentioned in my first post, one of the cases I translated for, the suspects were found guilty by court of first hearing, convicted to 15 years to be exact, they appealed (which is there right) yet again they were granted bail till the appeal court decided ! IMO this is not a fair way of handling this towards the victims, after all plenty of evidence in this particular case, convicted so not innocent anymore !

@ uptheos, you might be a stonetable expert in front of 7-11 yet no need to accuse me of lying !!

The justice system isn't there for the victim's sake. It's there to decide the guilt or innocence of the accused and punish them if found guilty.

But which it repeatedly fails to do so undermining the whole system

Um...Thai jails are chock full of convicts.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Belgium,Netherlands do not use bail that I know for sure, being from the aforementioned country.

Italy doesn't use bail too, personally i find the bail system outrageous to common sense.

Well, I only hope you are never accused of a crime and then half to spend six months in jail before you have a chance to prove your innocence. If it does, we'll just call it "common sense" and wish you a pleasant stay in the Bangkok Hilton.

Reason why I posted this is to get some thoughts from other nationalities where bail is allowed, I agree with the innocent till proven guilty but if one gets arrested and there is evidence I really do not see a reason why that person should be allowed bail.

As I mentioned in my first post, one of the cases I translated for, the suspects were found guilty by court of first hearing, convicted to 15 years to be exact, they appealed (which is there right) yet again they were granted bail till the appeal court decided ! IMO this is not a fair way of handling this towards the victims, after all plenty of evidence in this particular case, convicted so not innocent anymore !

@ uptheos, you might be a stonetable expert in front of 7-11 yet no need to accuse me of lying !!

The justice system isn't there for the victim's sake. It's there to decide the guilt or innocence of the accused and punish them if found guilty.

Hmm, interesting....Well at least good to know that in Thailand justice doesn't really mind if one decides to protect himself against criminals and in a way takes the law in his own hands !

Edited by likewise

Belgium,Netherlands do not use bail that I know for sure, being from the aforementioned country.

Italy doesn't use bail too, personally i find the bail system outrageous to common sense.

Well, I only hope you are never accused of a crime and then half to spend six months in jail before you have a chance to prove your innocence. If it does, we'll just call it "common sense" and wish you a pleasant stay in the Bangkok Hilton.

Of course every law can be abused and misused, pity that if you haven't the money to pay the bail, you stay in jail, innocent or not...

The law shoul be in theory equal for all, the poor and the rich, while in this case ( the bail system ) obviously is not .

• Like 1

Of course every law can be abused and misused, pity that if you haven't the money to pay the bail, you stay in jail, innocent or not...

The law shoul be in theory equal for all, the poor and the rich, while in this case ( the bail system ) obviously is not .

Well, that is true. But you can use other things to post bail: civil service positions, land title deeds, etc. There are also companies that will post bail on your behalf for a very small fee (as low as 10% of the bail set).

Well, that is true. But you can use other things to post bail: civil service positions, land title deeds, etc. There are also companies that will post bail on your behalf for a very small fee (as low as 10% of the bail set).

Ok, i didn't know that, anyway, every law is likely to be bent by the powerful and the rich..

..For the sake of the argument, i would just like to know how many people are in Thailand that are in jail for not being able to afford the bail, compared to the ones who could afford it