It's Not What You Eat It Is The Way You Eat.

AllanB

If you look at thin people eat, they play with their food, they talk and do anything but eat,

If you look at fat people eat, they concentrate intensely on their eating and eat quickly, as though someone was going to steal their food. Okay perhaps an exaggeration.

This is no accident, nor is it down to metabolism, in fact fat people actually have a faster metabolic rate. So here are the 4 key thing you need to do to change your eating habits, lose weight without the need for willpower and thus keep the weight off.

1, When you are hungry, eat.

The body has an inbuilt primeval mechanism that senses if there is a "shortage of food", if it thinks there is a famine it will slow down the body's metabolism and store fat, ready for when the food becomes available again. So never starve yourself.

2. Eat what you want.

Within reason, eat whatever you like, but try to avoid easy to eat junk food, which is full of chemicals. If you deprive yourself of the things you really like, you will crave them. Craving is similar to hunger.

3. Eat slowly.

You body has an inbuilt mechanism which tells you when you are full, but it is slow acting and if you eat quickly you will go pass the point of satisfaction and overeat, the main reason you get fat.

So, when you have a meal, don't put a lot of food on the plate, instead have the food in the centre of the table and use a side plate . Eat slowly and consciously chew your food many many times and savour the flavour, after you have taken a mouthful, put you knife and fork down until you have chewed and swallowed and only then then pick them up again. It is okay to talk, because that will slow you down, but don't let it disturb your concentration on eating slowly.

4. When you are full, stop.

When you are reasonably satisfied stop, even if there is still food on the plate, throw it away, or better still put a little at a time on you plate, like a smorgasbord. That will also slow down your consumption of food.

Make sure you concentrate on your eating technique and add these 3 shopping tips.

When shopping, buy the very best quality you can find, but buy less in quantity. For instance, if you want steak, buy the very best cut, but spend the same amount of money, for a smaller quantity. This will mean you eat less, savour the better quality food and enjoy it more, helping you eat slowly.

Don't ever buy Supersize, or 2 for 1, or multipacks, If you have twice as many you will eat twice as many, thinking they are cheap and it doesn't matter. They appear to be cheap in terms of money, but expensive in terms of weight loss.

Don't buy low fat, or low calorie food. If you do you will eventually consume more fat/ calories, because you will lose out on satisfaction. Often people who buy low fat will eat two to get the same level of satisfaction, if the food has 20% less fat, by eating 2 they are actually consuming 60% more fat.

A lot of weight loss is in the mind, so get out of the habit of constantly weighing yourself, go more on how you feel. If you set yourself weigh targets, you put yourself under pressure and stress and that is not good. At first you will achieve a target, then one day fail, be inclined to give up and actually add weight.

Statistically diets not only don't work, but are actually counter productive, which means you are more likely to end up heavier.

Good luck and enjoy your food, every single mouthful,

The exact opposite of this way of eating, is binge eating and we all know what that does.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the way you eat food particularly matters; but the advice about not starving yourself is noteworthy. The only way I've ever successfully followed a diet is by planning and pre-preparing six small meals and eating them at regular intervals throughout the day - you can't rely on your body to 'tell' you it's hungry, actual hunger pangs are often a sign of dehydration, not famine. The hardest thing is temptation, especially when you're busy or travelling; healthy food needs to be available in small portions when required. I still follow the old Body-for-LIFE routine, working out first thing on an empty stomach, then taking the first meal an hour later; my favorite meals are tuna or chicken salads for the 1st, 3rd and 5th meals (8am, 12pm, 6pm) and protein shakes for the 2nd, 4th and 6th meals (10am, 3pm and 9pm).

I don't think the way you eat food particularly matters; but the advice about not starving yourself is noteworthy. The only way I've ever successfully followed a diet is by planning and pre-preparing six small meals and eating them at regular intervals throughout the day - you can't rely on your body to 'tell' you it's hungry, actual hunger pangs are often a sign of dehydration, not famine. The hardest thing is temptation, especially when you're busy or travelling; healthy food needs to be available in small portions when required. I still follow the old Body-for-LIFE routine, working out first thing on an empty stomach, then taking the first meal an hour later; my favorite meals are tuna or chicken salads for the 1st, 3rd and 5th meals (8am, 12pm, 6pm) and protein shakes for the 2nd, 4th and 6th meals (10am, 3pm and 9pm).

What you do after a meal is important too. After I heard about this weight less method created by hypnotist Paul McKenna http://www.mckenna.com/default.htm I looked at a few people, both fat and thin and this is what I found.

Fat people eat with a lot of "purpose" consuming their food as if it were scarce and therefore very important, even all-consuming passion.

Thin people treated eating as something quite incidental and just part of life, looking around, chatting while they are eating.

Fat people are almost stationary apart from the jaw and arms.

Thin people are constantly fidgeting and the eating action was only apart of their body movements.

I was very skinny when I was young, ate a lot, but was always on the go at break neck speed.

My ex-wife on the other hand moved very slowly and gradually got fat. She tried the Paul McKenna weight loss thing and over 2 years lost a couple of stone. She put it back on again when we split up and met a fat bloke.

The reason this method works is that isn't a fight, a fight against your basic instincts and therefore easy. If it is easy you are more likely to do it, if not you will stop and gain weight.

Listen, I have nothing to sell here, just trying to help. This method is completely free, so try it, psychology is a powerful tool, ask Andy Murray.

Good post. I feel that overweight people, I am one, have to train their body or even fool it into accepting that it should be a lower weight. You always hear comments from people who went on a diet, lost weight then put it back on. I have never been successful with diets & even after a lengthy detox/fasting regime where Iost a lot of weigh it eventually went back on. I will say this though, detox does feel good, almost like a natural high.

Back home when I worked for a living I used to travel all over for telcoms company. I found my self in the wilds of north Wales once. In the only pub there was I got chatting to an old retired doctor. A very ameable chap and very knowledgable. We got talking about dieting. He explained that if you want to lose weight then eat fat. I thought it was the other way round but evidently not. He went on to explain that the human body was designed to survive through the ages through good times and bad.

During the good times when there was plenty of food around and lots of fat the body would burn the fat first as it is the easiest to transform into energy. During the lean times though when food was scarse then to protect itself and to try to survive till the good times came round again it would hold onto the fat and only as a last resort would it use this.

When explained like that it seemed to make sense. So if you want to lose weight eat fat wink.png

Just remember to exercise some after eating it of course !thumbsup.gif

You could be onto something, at least for some people. I don't eat a lot generally, but I do eat very fast. I am usually done by the time other people are still putting stuff in their plates. I come by it honestly, I had two older brothers who also were aggressive eaters, and mom was a very good cook. The first guy to seconds or thirds felt somehow like a winner. i once got a fork in my hand by reaching for the last pirogi the same time as my brother. And yes I have always had weight issues. I am not so bad at the moment though.

I actually choose where I want to eat with, how long it will take to get served, as an important factor. Of course here in Thailand this behavior is abnormal and probably rude. My family here takes an eternity to eat meals, I find it frustrating because I like to move on.

I am going to work on this slow eating strategy. If nothing else, I'll have something to do while they are all eating.

For me its not how I eat but what I eat. I eat fast all my life.

Only when I cut out the 'sugar' and things like beer did my weight come down - that combined with working out. I still eat fast.

Cutting out sugar is real important, i occasionally do g eat sugar for instance a miniscule amount of syrup with water if drinking tea or just water bores me.

But its just a fact of life that some (like me) have to do a lot more to get and stay lean then others. I eat my healthy fats, my unprocessed foods,, watch my calories (count them if possible) and still its hard. Now that im actually leaner then ever its quite hard to get to get even leaner (as in 6 pack lean)

I am also a real fast eater and it never helped me at all.

• Like 1

For me its not how I eat but what I eat. I eat fast all my life.

Only when I cut out the 'sugar' and things like beer did my weight come down - that combined with working out. I still eat fast.

Cutting out sugar is real important, i occasionally do g eat sugar for instance a miniscule amount of syrup with water if drinking tea or just water bores me.

But its just a fact of life that some (like me) have to do a lot more to get and stay lean then others. I eat my healthy fats, my unprocessed foods,, watch my calories (count them if possible) and still its hard. Now that im actually leaner then ever its quite hard to get to get even leaner (as in 6 pack lean)

I am also a real fast eater and it never helped me at all.

I am the opposite Rob - fat metabolism generally. I walk fast talk fast, fart fast....

I'm still a believer in the concept that if I eat fewer calories than I burn, I lose weight. I can do that only by eating a high protein diet which digests slowly and releases energy slowly and "sticks to my ribs."

Breakfast is 1 cup of orange juice, two hard boiled eggs and one 6 ounce, 60 calorie cup of yogurt. Mid morning is another 60 calorie cup of yogurt, (8 grams protein.) Total calories, 400.

Lunch is 1 slice of bread for some carbs, 3 slices @ 30 calories each = 90 calories of sliced smoked turkey lunch meat = 1/2 sandwich with lots of protein. Mustard only. Add 10 ounces of skim milk. Afternoon snack is another yogurt. Total calories -400.

Dinner is roast beef, first trimmed of all possible fat and then cooked in a slow cooker for 8 hours until it easily shreds. The juice is poured off along with most remaing fat as can be seen forming a layer on top of the liquid. I have 6 ounces of that on one slice of bread and another yogurt. Total calories 460.

Total daily calorie intake, about +/- 1300 and I never feel hungry. I am steadily losing about 4-6 pounds a month with minimal exercise.

This is a slow but sure way, It would take almost a year to lose 50 pounds but so what? I'm never hungry.

All day long I drink lots of water because thirst can be mistaken for hunger.

I might mention that I've always weighed 170 pounds until I got an illness, and the illness and medication caused weight gain of 50 pounds in just about 3 years. The illness and medication are gone and I've lost 20 pounds with 6 months to go to get back to my normal weight.

My biggest problem is snacking. Sometimes I snack for the sake of snacking and I know its why I have put weight on. Old habits are hard to break though. ermm.gif

I had that. Often I was actually thirsty and didn't realize it. I went to drinking more water. When I got the munchies I'd drink a glass of water. The munchies go away in about 10 minutes anyway and come back in cycles until I got out of the habit and now I don't think about them.

• Like 1

I'm still a believer in the concept that if I eat fewer calories than I burn, I lose weight. I can do that only by eating a high protein diet which digests slowly and releases energy slowly and "sticks to my ribs."

Breakfast is 1 cup of orange juice, two hard boiled eggs and one 6 ounce, 60 calorie cup of yogurt. Mid morning is another 60 calorie cup of yogurt, (8 grams protein.) Total calories, 400.

Lunch is 1 slice of bread for some carbs, 3 slices @ 30 calories each = 90 calories of sliced smoked turkey lunch meat = 1/2 sandwich with lots of protein. Mustard only. Add 10 ounces of skim milk. Afternoon snack is another yogurt. Total calories -400.

Dinner is roast beef, first trimmed of all possible fat and then cooked in a slow cooker for 8 hours until it easily shreds. The juice is poured off along with most remaing fat as can be seen forming a layer on top of the liquid. I have 6 ounces of that on one slice of bread and another yogurt. Total calories 460.

Total daily calorie intake, about +/- 1300 and I never feel hungry. I am steadily losing about 4-6 pounds a month with minimal exercise.

This is a slow but sure way, It would take almost a year to lose 50 pounds but so what? I'm never hungry.

I might mention that I've always weighed 170 pounds until I got an illness, and the illness and medication caused weight gain of 50 pounds in just about 3 years. The illness and medication are gone and I've lost 20 pounds with 6 months to go to get back to my normal weight.

1300 calories are you female ? Its not much at all im loosing weight too slowly and gaining muscle. I am now around 210 lbs and muscular not fat. But i want a 6 pack. But no way could i eat 1300 calories. That would be not much at all.

1300 calories are you female ? Its not much at all im loosing weight too slowly and gaining muscle. I am now around 210 lbs and muscular not fat. But i want a 6 pack. But no way could i eat 1300 calories. That would be not much at all.

No, I'm male. I just listed my daily menu and since I'm not picky about food, I just repeat it. I cook 12 pounds of roast beef in my crock pot, shred it, freeze it in containers and take out as needed. Then I microwave my 6 ounces for dinner. I hard boil 18 eggs at a time. Other than that I never have to cook.

I will say that if I need a snack between meals I either eat another 75 calorie egg or a 60 calorie, 6 oz yogurt. I might hit nearly 1400 calories on days I do that.

No, I'm male. I just listed my daily menu and since I'm not picky about food, I just repeat it. I cook 12 pounds of roast beef in my crock pot, shred it, freeze it in containers and take out as needed. Then I microwave my 6 ounces for dinner. I hard boil 18 eggs at a time. Other than that I never have to cook.

I will say that if I need a snack between meals I either eat another 75 calorie egg or a 60 calorie, 6 oz yogurt. I might hit nearly 1400 calories on days I do that.

I am like you as i want to loose weight so i count my calories and cook food in bulk. Roast beef and such. However i think im always around 2000 calories a day maybe a bit less. I always thought i was low (considering my bulk in muscles and the fact that i train a lot) but you seem to be real low.

I have never seen a guy eat blow 1500 calories, but now i have.

I am like you as i want to loose weight so i count my calories and cook food in bulk. Roast beef and such. However i think im always around 2000 calories a day maybe a bit less. I always thought i was low (considering my bulk in muscles and the fact that i train a lot) but you seem to be real low.

I have never seen a guy eat blow 1500 calories, but now i have.

I had an illness for about maybe 3 years and it and the meds both had weight gain side effects. I put on all of the extra in that time. Now that's past but I'm not ready for hard workouts yet. Maybe that's the difference. I'm doing it on diet alone, and won't start real physical training for about another 9 months. Then I'll probably have to increase the food. That may be offset by the calorie burn of exercise.

BTW, I weighed 170 pounds, went up to almost 230 pounds, and have now lost 20 pounds so it's working. It's going to take me a year to get this off, but get it off I will.

Edited by NeverSure

Why would you wait to do the training? It is good for overall health and it will make your weight loss more natural, Currently you are starving your muscle tissue along with the fat.

Good point, but his weight loss is around 1-1,5lbs a week that is not too much. Though its never too late to exercise.

• Like 1

Why would you wait to do the training? It is good for overall health and it will make your weight loss more natural, Currently you are starving your muscle tissue along with the fat.

Because I'm still recovering from my illness and can't do it. The illness and meds which caused the weight gain are gone and I can diet. I exercise a little every day but nothing like what I'll be cleared to do in 9 more months which will be a total of a year. Then I'll be fine.

From my studies, I don't believe I'm losing much if any muscle mass because the milk, yogurt and meats are loaded with protein and are the mainstay of my diet and hold the muscles steady. They also digest slowly and keep me from feeling hungry.

I'm all for muscle and cardio exercise to stay strong and healthy. I don't however believe that's the answer to losing fat. I think a calorie deficit is the answer for fat loss if you eat the right foods. In the past when I've had lots of exercise I needed more food, and I believe the benefit was better tone and health, not weight loss. I believe I ate back all of the calories I exercised away, and my gain was a better, healthier body.

Edited by NeverSure

Ok that makes sense about why the limited exercise. But there is no single answer to fat loss. and a combination of exercise (when possible) with sensible diet (good calories, and a calorie deficit) can only increase your results. Once your muscles get hungry, they will help burn that fat. Weight loss and fat loss are not the same thing. It is common to lose more fat than what shows on the scales because the increasing muscle mass is offsetting the weight loss. your better tone and healthier body was the result of fat loss combined with muscle gain.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

Ok that makes sense about why the limited exercise. But there is no single answer to fat loss. and a combination of exercise (when possible) with sensible diet (good calories, and a calorie deficit) can only increase your results. Once your muscles get hungry, they will help burn that fat. Weight loss and fat loss are not the same thing. It is common to lose more fat than what shows on the scales because the increasing muscle mass is offsetting the weight loss. your better tone and healthier body was the result of fat loss combined with muscle gain.

Agree 100%.

• Like 1

I had that. Often I was actually thirsty and didn't realize it. I went to drinking more water. When I got the munchies I'd drink a glass of water. The munchies go away in about 10 minutes anyway and come back in cycles until I got out of the habit and now I don't think about them.

You're not mistaking hunger for thirst, you're merely drinking water to temporarily fill your stomach and take your mind off eating.

There's a better way - drink tea or coffee. That will take the hunger away for about an hour or so. Water goes down too quickly.

The most important thing to consider when drinking water is to drink it on an empty stomach and not with food. All that does is dilute your digestive juices, slowing down digestion and even making it incomplete. Always quench the thirst before eating.

Edited by tropo

I disagree with 1, 2 & 4 in the OP.

1. When you are hungry, eat.

Don't eat just because you're feeling hungry. A fat person will eat far too much going by this guideline. Eat to a timetable, not when you feel hungry. Your hunger doesn't necessarily mean you need sustenance - excessive hunger is probably just be a bad habit from overeating. It's better to eat a little before you get hungry, because if you get too hungry you'll overeat and more likely eat junk.

2. Eat what you want.

Don't eat what you want. That's crazy advice. Eat healthy and control the carbohydrate load. About a 3rd of Westerners are insulin resistant or diabetic. Cut down on carbohydrates. That's the first step to losing weight for most people. There's nothing wrong with giving in to a craving every now and then, but if it becomes a habit you've lost your way.

4. When you are full, stop.

It's better to stop before you are full. Another problem here is that fat people will need to eat too much to feel full whether they eat slowly or not. Put the right quantity of food on your plate (best measured), and that's all you eat whether you're full or not. Don't put more on the table than you need.

IMO it's wrong to advise people that willpower is not an important part of losing weight. Without willpower to succeed you never will. Giving people the wrong advice will not help matters one bit.

Edited by tropo

Everyone is always trying to be nice and gentle with overweight people... and trying to suggest easy ways to lose weight. Other people keep harping on about how diets normally fail because most people put the weight back on.

Diets fail because people fail to realise that being overweight is as much a mental condition as a physical one. People get fat because they've failed mentally... by getting lazy and careless with their food intake over a long period of time. If you don't take care of the mental condition first, a fat person who loses weight will inevitably get fat again. The reason for getting fat in the first place needs to be addressed first, before addressing the current fat condition.

The fact that so many people will readily advertise that exercise is not required to lose weight illustrates this rather well. Laziness got them fat in the first place and they're looking for the lazy way out.

Everyone is always trying to be nice and gentle with overweight people... and trying to suggest easy ways to lose weight. Other people keep harping on about how diets normally fail because most people put the weight back on.

Diets fail because people fail to realise that being overweight is as much a mental condition as a physical one. People get fat because they've failed mentally... by getting lazy and careless with their food intake over a long period of time. If you don't take care of the mental condition first, a fat person who loses weight will inevitably get fat again. The reason for getting fat in the first place needs to be addressed first, before addressing the current fat condition.

The fact that so many people will readily advertise that exercise is not required to lose weight illustrates this rather well. Laziness got them fat in the first place and they're looking for the lazy way out.

Thank you very much, and I won't call you what I'm thinking.

I'm in my 60's. I'm 5 foot 10 inches tall and never, ever weighed more than 170 pounds until I got a serious illness about 3 years ago. Both the illness and the meds had a side effect of weight gain and in about 3 years I gained more than 50 pounds. Just like that.

Now the illness and the meds are gone and I'm on a very good diet, losing about 5 pounds a month. At that rate it may take me a year to get that weight off, but get it off I will. Also, I'm not allowed to do heavy exercise for another 9 months of the original 1 year the drs gave me, so I have to wait for that.

I've lost about 20 pounds so far. I don't believe I'll gain it again because I never had it before. In my mind I'm 170 pounds until I see me in a mirror.

As far as mental problems, I suggest you go get back on your own meds and not be so dam_n self righteous and accusing.

Do you have a PHD and an MD in psychiatry or something which qualifies you to hit the reply button with a general mental diagnosis for the whole planet, or are you just normally talking over your head as if better than other people? You have no idea what you're talking about.

I partly agree with Tropo, often being fat is a result of being lazy / careless. Its a choice, there are not many people who are fat because of health issues. Its just easy and comfortable to become fat.

Its easy to eat what you want when you want it as much as you want. Its much harder to not eat and watch what you eat and drink. Lot less fun too. So in a way its often a choice.

Also exercise is time consuming and many don't like doing it so again a choice.

• Like 1

I partly agree with Tropo, often being fat is a result of being lazy / careless. Its a choice, there are not many people who are fat because of health issues. Its just easy and comfortable to become fat.

Its easy to eat what you want when you want it as much as you want. Its much harder to not eat and watch what you eat and drink. Lot less fun too. So in a way its often a choice.

Also exercise is time consuming and many don't like doing it so again a choice.

Gimme a break? Tropo busts in with an adamant "Diets fail because people fail to realise that being overweight is as much a mental condition as a physical one." ... "The fact that so many people will readily advertise that exercise is not required to lose weight illustrates this rather well. Laziness got them fat in the first place and they're looking for the lazy way out."

Does he not know what an absolutely pompous insult that is to those who have hormonal imbalances, who are under Dr's orders to not exercise, who are on meds including steriods and others which dictate weight gain, and many other medical conditions which are beyond a person's control? Is he that callous and stupid in real life, or is he just an internet troll?

I told my story above and I had never been overweight but it wasn't mental and it wasn't a choice and it wasn't within my control. It sure wasn't laziness as he claims. I'm not allowed to exercise now but I've lost 20 pounds already since I got past the illness and off the meds dispite his dumb claims. I simply eat fewer calories than my body needs to maintain a temperature of 98.6F and other bodily functions, and the weight must come off.

I'm proof you don't have to exercise to lose weight. It's calories burned vs. calories eaten. Period. You need to exercise to be in good shape.

I think he needs to diet and exercise his fat head so he can stop insulting those people who have true medical conditions.

Edited by NeverSure

Neversure,

There are not many people with valid medical conditions compared to fat people without them. So i can see his point.

You are right with the remark its calories in vs calories out, its that simple. Exercise however does help burning calories and toning muscle.

Tropo has no fat head he is actually quite ripped, he is in better shape then i am. Also a lot older then me. He does know what he talks about exercise wise.