Thai Citizens Abroad Now Able To Renew Id Cards At Embassies

Thai citizens abroad now able to renew ID cards at embassies

BANGKOK, 26 September 2012 (NNT) - Thais residing overseas are now able to renew I.D cards at Thai embassies overseas without having to return to Thailand.

Since an MoU was signed in March between Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit, under which both sides agreed to cooperate in renewing passports of Thai expats, the service has now been launched in Los Angeles.

Starting September 13th, The Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles has been authorized to issue new IDs to Thai nationals seeking to replace those lost or damaged. No fees will be charged for expired IDs, but a 1 dollar fee will be charged for lost or damaged IDs. However, those seeking to make their I.D. cards for the first time are not allowed to do so.

The Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles was the first to offer this service as it is better equipped with necessary machines and staff than other consulates.

The Foreign and Interior ministries aim to launch similar service at five more major cities, each with a population of more than 100,000 this year. They include, Berlin, Chicago, New York, Singapore and Taipei. The service is expected to become available worldwide by the end of 2013.

Those who are interested to apply need to bring in the expired ID card and 2 copies bearing a clear picture of the 13 digits.

Source:

Correspondent : SODCHUEN LIMKRIANGKRAI SODCHUEN LIMKRIANGKRAI

Rewriter : sirinthip sitabutr

National News Bureau & Public Relations : http://thainews.prd.go.th

Excellent news considering my wife's is ten years expired. No mention of embassy or any of the consulates in Australia, might get her to give Sydney and/or Brisbane a call tomorrow. She was dreading having to make an extra trip to Thailand and amphoe simply because she wants to renew her passport (and can't get one without the id)

For now I understand it is only possible in LA, later this year Berlin, Chicago, New York, Singapore and Taipei will follow. next year all other Thai consultes, and I take that to be only general consulates and not honorary consulates, should follow.

Just had a thought. In the meantime, for any Thai residing in Australia (who would like to renew their id) and travelling back to Thailand before it gets introduced here, why not do a nice stopover in Singapore and do it there? ironically, for many it would probably take less time than going to their Amphoe. There's nothing to say it has to be done in the country they reside in ... that should be irrelevant.

Edited by Songhua

Just had a thought. In the meantime, for any Thai residing in Australia (who would like to renew their id) and travelling back to Thailand before it gets introduced here, why not do a nice stopover in Singapore and do it there? ironically, for many it would probably take less time than going to their Amphoe. There's nothing to say it has to be done in the country they reside in ... that should be irrelevant.

It takes all of ten minutes at the amphur as it is...

• Like 1

But it may be a 10,000 mile trip to get to the amphur.

I was responding to the previous post suggesting it might be quicker to stop off and do it in Singapore while on the way back to Thailand anyway.

Thanks lopburi and NMT for the advice.

If I'd done my research earlier I'd have discovered that the renewal can be done at any Amphoe now anyhow (rather than running upcountry for two days). Apologies there .. wasn't aware of that development.

Anyone know about first-time ID cards? My child could do with one, and if that could be done locally rather than in Thailand, would be a good help. London is my embassy, by the way.

they'd have their name on the house register for starters which if they were overseas born, would require a trip to Thailand to do that.

Can Thai ID's be issued for my 2 US/Thai children?

Or is this strictly renewals?

As the article says, you can not apply for your first ID-card. That has probably to do with that one must be registered on a household registration book in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Report:

My wife has renewed her I'D today at the Thai Consulate in Sydney.

She required her old I'D (which in her case was over a decade expired) and a copy of her tabien baan (emailed from her family).

Filled out a simple form and was in and out in twelve minutes with a new card.