Herbert Lom Dead: Pink Panther Actor Dies At 95

webfact

Herbert Lom dead: Pink Panther films police chief dies aged 95

The veteran actor's most famous role was as fed-up and irritable Charles Dreyfus, the boss of Peter Sellers' Inspector Clouseau

LONDON: -- Veteran actor Herbert Lom, fondly remembered for his roles in the Pink Panther films during his half-century of movie appearances, has died at the age of 95.

The Czech-born, London-based star appeared in more than 100 films including classics such as Spartacus, El Cid and The Ladykillers.

He died peacefully in his sleep this morning, his family said.

During his career, Lom portrayed Napoleon Bonaparte on two occasions, one of which was the screen adaptation of Tolstoy's War And Peace.

But his most famous role was as fed-up and irritable Charles Dreyfus, the boss of Peter Sellers' bumbling character Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther films.

He first appeared as the police chief in 1964's A Shot In The Dark and, as the films went on, became increasingly mentally unstable as a result of Clouseau's incompetence.

During his career he appeared with such stars such as Kirk Douglas, Sir Alec Guinness and Charlton Heston.

Prague-born Lom moved to the UK before the Second World War and worked as a newscaster with the BBC's overseas service until his acting career took off.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co...panther-1346658

-- Mirror Online 2012-09-27

footer_n.gif

He really let the stops out to go crazy sequentially on film over several years.

Who can forget 'that twitch' as it got bigger and more frequent.

Each installment he kept getting madder and madder over the course of the film and then started the next one yet again a notch more over the edge. And even as he was gradually consumed in his caricatured madness he still maintained a edge of humanity you could root for. You always hoped he might recover.

A truly underrated global performance.

He was also memorable as 3rd billed behind Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers

in 1955's The Ladykillers. I am sure this performance with Sellers was part of the reason for his casting in the PP series.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

I am sure I remember him in the starring role as a Psychiatrist in a TV series, but forget it's title.

RIP

yes i also but i cant remember the name either..for me his best role was the nasty against chuck heston in el cid

It was "The Human Jungle". But he also did a good job in the original Phantom of the Opera...!