What Local Non-Thai Restaurants Would Cut The Mustard Back In The Home Country?

Jingthing

OK, the premise of this thread is a little different, and sets a very high bar.

Thinking of your favorite NON-THAI restaurants in town, first imagine the cost level of their food if it was located back in your last home country area, and then post if there are ANY local restaurants that if you lived back there you would go to and be willing to pay the local price back there for the same food.

To explain this concept further, consider the popular Cherry's international buffet at under 400 baht.

While I imagine many Cherry's fans would go to a Cherry's clone in the home country for 400, would you go for your ESTIMATION of its cost back there? If not, it doesn't make the cut for this concept.

I have left out Thai food because this being Thailand, I consider that a special category, and the concept here isn't to discuss the differences of Thai food here vs. back home.

Considering the high bar of this concept, I find there aren't a lot of local places that pop to mind! Sadly, really.

I'll probably think of more later but the one that did pop to mind right away is:

SARAS Indian vegetarian food.

They have world class Indian vegetarian food and I'd be happy to eat the same food at the price levels it would be back in my last American city (which BTW aren't very different than the prices at Saras!).

http://saras.co.th/

Ultimately of course this is going to be very subjective. For example if you came here from a very provincial small town with very limited food options, your list might be large. For people coming from great global food cities, the list will likely be small.

Edited by Jingthing

Ok JT my 2 favorites are French style resaurants and I consider them not only delicious but great value also. I would willingly pay considerably more in my own country for a similar meal.

The Ritz in Jomtien Complex with a 3 course meal in a classy atmosphere for under 400 baht. There are many main courses, appetizers and desserts to chose from.

Mementos Restaurant off Thappraya Rd at the Cocco Resort.

My lady loves both for special meals, unfortunately I am easily pleased and have the culinary tastes of a hungry soi dog!whistling.gif

Coffee shops and lunch places.

Cafe Pittini. Soi Bukow.

Great coffee, food and service.

Bon Cafe. Naklua.

Coffee shop and great meals.

La Baguette. Naklua.

Top notch bakery and meals.

Twins Cafe. Pratamnak at Cosy Beach.

Lavazza coffee, bakery and meals.

This is a difficult one to answer because in Canada and I'm sure many other countries it would be impossible to prepare the same dishes as they would be cooking with different meat, spices, herbs etc. Even Thai food is not the same back home because of the ingredients HOWEVER I would say that the "Eagle House" in Jomtien has the best steak I have ever had in Thailand and would eat it back in Canada for the Canadian price. I should explain that there is the "Eagle Bar" on soi 5 but if you were to walk through you would come to the "Eagle House" Restaraunt and guest house on soi 4.

• Like 1

Most of them based on price alone.

For the norwegian style food, both Lindas and Joy Enjoy would be places that would be visited in Norway. The service level and ambience of Lindas would cost a fortune in Norway, and the traditional everyday style food at Joy Enjoy is as good and most often better then same type food found in Norway. Except the one prepared at home of course... If I had Joy Enjoy within driving distance at home I would be there every thursday for "komle".

This is a difficult one to answer because in Canada and I'm sure many other countries it would be impossible to prepare the same dishes as they would be cooking with different meat, spices, herbs etc. Even Thai food is not the same back home because of the ingredients HOWEVER I would say that the "Eagle House" in Jomtien has the best steak I have ever had in Thailand and would eat it back in Canada for the Canadian price. I should explain that there is the "Eagle Bar" on soi 5 but if you were to walk through you would come to the "Eagle House" Restaraunt and guest house on soi 4.

Thanks for that. Something new to try. I was unaware of that place.

Most of them based on price alone.

For the norwegian style food, both Lindas and Joy Enjoy would be places that would be visited in Norway. The service level and ambience of Lindas would cost a fortune in Norway, and the traditional everyday style food at Joy Enjoy is as good and most often better then same type food found in Norway. Except the one prepared at home of course... If I had Joy Enjoy within driving distance at home I would be there every thursday for "komle".

I find those comments interesting. I like Norwegian food well enough but I find Lindas too expensive even in Thailand for what they offer (yes it is good) and Joy Enjoy is definitely a great bargain find ... here.

Joy Enjoy seems to be known mostly by Scandanavians as it's rather hidden down a dark alley. What they offer most definitely deserves to be sampled by a wider group of people. Delicious European platters at the 250 baht level, hard to beat.

Edited by Jingthing

I will now add another place: Swiss Food in South Pattaya.

While I consider their cooking level only pretty good, I'm not aware of any Swiss restaurants in my previous American city, and I think I might go to a place like Swiss Food at my guess of their American price levels (not massive because their food quality isn't super high) for some novelty which of course includes their Swiss-fluenced (sic) salad bar. I do like rosti.

http://www.swissfood.net/Kontakt.htm

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

For British food at the price level I'm imagining back home ... the Pig & Whistle pub on Soi 7, and Goose's Fish & Chips on Second Road between soi 7 and Soi 8.

Honorable mentions to: Butcher's Arms and Caffe Pitini on Soi Buakhao. And Jolly Friar on Soi Lengkee.

So now you know, Jingthing. Enjoy!

Thanks for that. Something new to try. I was unaware of that place.

Yes most people don't know about it. Nice open style restaraunt friendly staff etc. I would recommend the Filet Mignon

I think most of the restaurants back "home" have bigger portion sizes. That's the main difference. Back in the states I used to go to restaurants and there'd be so much food it was impossible to eat it all without getting sick(america land of obesityrolleyes.gif ). I have yet to find many restaurants like that here.

I think most of the restaurants back "home" have bigger portion sizes. That's the main difference. Back in the states I used to go to restaurants and there'd be so much food it was impossible to eat it all without getting sick(america land of obesityrolleyes.gif ). I have yet to find many restaurants like that here.

That might be but in the context of the thread, are there any local non-Thai restaurants that you like well enough, that you would want to eat there back in the USA for their assumed USA prices and portions there?