Number Plate Fiasco

cdmtdm

Does anyone have an idea when this number plate (lack of) will be resolved ?...i have a new car sitting in Nong Khai with no plates ( not even red) and really want to drive it south but i am unsure of the dramas involved with cops etc ... i have seen many stupid things happen here but this takes the cake , the dealers just give u lip service when asked when as they do not have a clue either ....

Mate of mine has just had something similar although he has red paper plates.

He has a nice new truck and wants to do his visa run in comfort not with the kamakarzi visa buses.

So after going back and forth between Toyota and the land transport office he finally got the paper work to leave the island.But only for 5 days.

Just when you think this country is joining the 21 st century you get this unbelievable nonsense.

Have you asked if they can issue Red paper plates?

Loads of cars in Bangkok driving around with no plates at all, I would have thought a car could not leave the garage until it had red plates.

BTW - I see many older cars with no number plates but the screws in place, this leads me to believe that the owners are removing the plates, cause if a thief took them they would not put the screws back in place

Just drive, but keep some 100B notes handy in case you are harassed.

I bought a new car in Bangkok and drove straight to Phuket, at night. I had no concern about it being red plates. Tons of redplates around from out of provence dealers, and many vehicles with no plates at all. I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

And BTW, one reason white plates take a long time is often the vehicles have not been paid yet and to the dealers hold your money for a month or two before paying the manufacturer for it. These seems to have become a regualr thing. I remember reading a quote fromt he LTD that stated he didn't know why people were waiting for plates, and implied this was the reason. Now the floods have exacerbated the problem but the dealers, imo, are exploiting the situation which is why the above poster was able to get his plate and book after complaining to the right people.

My friend bought a Toyota from Nakon Si Tammaret. It came with the red plates. He drove it from there to Samui. A couple of months later he drove up to Issan for a while going through many check points and at night and not a single bit of bother. The only comment he got about the plates was they were very lucky. 9999. Another friend had his pick up for over 6 months and did the same with no plate. Anytime he was stopped he simply showed the receipt and was on his way.

ok well ... i guess i will just have to wing it ... still cant get my head around why no plates ? did think about taking the plates off my pickup and use those for the trip down ...cheers

Personally I wouldn't give that a thought. Good in theory but if anything went pear shaped you would be easily proven guilty of a serious offence. Driving a vehicle with false plates and all the questions that go with that. " what bank did you rob, where is the gun, where did you steal the pick-up belonging to these plates, etc, etc,".

Far better as already suggested if you have supporting paperwork, ie, dealers reciept, application for registration etc, to wing it without plates. If none of these at least a note written in Thai to show Cap't Plod the reason for no plates.

Good luck.

Edited by sportsman69

I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

And BTW, one reason white plates take a long time is often the vehicles have not been paid yet and to the dealers hold your money for a month or two before paying the manufacturer for it. These seems to have become a regualr thing. I remember reading a quote fromt he LTD that stated he didn't know why people were waiting for plates, and implied this was the reason. Now the floods have exacerbated the problem but the dealers, imo, are exploiting the situation which is why the above poster was able to get his plate and book after complaining to the right people.

Agree 100%, when I bought DMAX I demanded a written guarantee from the dealer that I would have my plates within 2 weeks before I handed over the bank cheque. Had a phone call 10 days later offering me the choice of 3 different numbers --- TW took over that task 55555. This was the Isuzu dealer in Udon Thani.

The dealers use copy and real plates, we told them we wanted the real plates as we were going to leave the local area, when we picked the vehicle up it had copy plates on it but were told we would have the real ones in 4 days which happened

With the real plates a book is supplied which you enter the vehicle details in then you can drive it anywhere in Thailand

The copy plates are illegal and you could have problems when using them although they will not tell you this

And, with red plates, you cannot drive the car at night.

Your statement is not right, I think.

By law, you have no permission, to drive by night.

But that does not mean, you can not!

As you can see on Phuket roads, every night. And don't think, any police officer is interested in this little fact, even at a checkpoint. If the order is 'collecting money for no driving license, no seat belt and no helmet', there is no way, they change the subject!

Loads of cars in Bangkok driving around with no plates at all, I would have thought a car could not leave the garage until it had red plates.

BTW - I see many older cars with no number plates but the screws in place, this leads me to believe that the owners are removing the plates, cause if a thief took them they would not put the screws back in place

More important is the insurance sticker. A new car, with red plate, eh, .....!

More important is the insurance sticker. A new car, with red plate, eh, .....!

I think you are right we have the insurance sticker and genuine red plates

And, with red plates, you cannot drive the car at night.

Your statement is not right, I think.

By law, you have no permission, to drive by night.

But that does not mean, you can not!

As you can see on Phuket roads, every night. And don't think, any police officer is interested in this little fact, even at a checkpoint. If the order is 'collecting money for no driving license, no seat belt and no helmet', there is no way, they change the subject!

I am correct. The issue is whether or not the law is enforced. It is illegal to have passengers on the three wheels, but is it enforced?

A ton of websites state the same thing. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=thai+driving+law+red+plates&rlz=1C1_____enTH368TH369&oq=thai+driving+law+red+plates&sugexp=chrome,mod=17&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Due to the amount of new cars being purchased has caused a shortage in plates...just think yourself lucky, many models have a 3-5 month waiting list. One bright spark in Pattaya bought Fortunas from the dealer and is now selling them as new with a premium of 300,000 Baht and they are selling to those impatient ones with the money.

ok well ... i guess i will just have to wing it ... still cant get my head around why no plates ? did think about taking the plates off my pickup and use those for the trip down ...cheers

I reckon the shortage of red plates has a lot to do with the rebate for first time car buyers. There are quite a few new vehicles with no plates, many with mickey mouse looking red plates. But, surely it cannot be all that difficult to manufacture extra plates so there have to be other issues surrounding this saga. There is probably an inefficient system in place revolving around the issuing of plates as it must have to go through a bureaucratic web.

I reckon the shortage of red plates has a lot to do with the rebate for first time car buyers. There are quite a few new vehicles with no plates, many with mickey mouse looking red plates. But, surely it cannot be all that difficult to manufacture extra plates so there have to be other issues surrounding this saga. There is probably an inefficient system in place revolving around the issuing of plates as it must have to go through a bureaucratic web.

All the licensing authority has to do is keep a stock of new license plates and register them to vehicles being licensed, no need for red plates at all, thats probably to complicated for them to do

i agree ..how difficult can it be ? and how can the law allow cars to be driven with no plates ...and what will be the outcome in a big accident ?, shit for sure the insurance companies will use this as an easy out if you have no plates ,,esp if your the farang ..i have heard shortage of paint , poor paint blah blah ,,, just a ridiculous situation ...

Due to the amount of new cars being purchased has caused a shortage in plates...just think yourself lucky, many models have a 3-5 month waiting list. One bright spark in Pattaya bought Fortunas from the dealer and is now selling them as new with a premium of 300,000 Baht and they are selling to those impatient ones with the money.

Who is paying another 300k more, for this 'I pretend, to be a SUV ' Pick up? Amazing!

Actually, I saw a red plated car, yesterday. Around midnight. First I thought, the plate was battered. But in the end, I think, it was a print on a red plastic foil, showing a Bangkok plate in a Toyota Pearl plate holder with 076 Tel.-Number

there are 4vehicles on our mooban being driven daily no plates at all,could this be a sinister plot by the goverment without plates you cant register it, so you cant claim your tax rebate till you get them.

i agree ..how difficult can it be ? and how can the law allow cars to be driven with no plates ...and what will be the outcome in a big accident ?, shit for sure the insurance companies will use this as an easy out if you have no plates ,,esp if your the farang ..i have heard shortage of paint , poor paint blah blah ,,, just a ridiculous situation ...

No impact on insurance. But to be sure I contacted my company before I left on a roadtrip with red plates. And they confirmed to me (in writing): no problem.

Edited by stevenl

Who is paying another 300k more, for this 'I pretend, to be a SUV ' Pick up? Amazing!

Actually, I saw a red plated car, yesterday. Around midnight. First I thought, the plate was battered. But in the end, I think, it was a print on a red plastic foil, showing a Bangkok plate in a Toyota Pearl plate holder with 076 Tel.-Number

The locals that have money and want a car, they aint tight like Johnny foreigner....its another status symbol innit.

The locals that have money and want a car, they aint tight like Johnny foreigner....its another status symbol innit.

Ya, I know the 'status' thing. But locals with money, are they going for a Pickup in a funny dress? I see locals with money going for the Lexus side of the Toyota trail. Or imported cars, of course! The Fortuner, and Camry, and so on, in this price range, is usually status for people , who can afford, eh, get the loan.

So I learned something new, today!

^

Actually, the only 'status symbol' cars here are imports. As an example, a new Mini Cooper (which in the UK costs 2 thirds of the price of a Honda Accord) here costs more than the combined new price of our Toyota Fortuner and Honda Accord. Very few expats, even if they can afford it, are going to pay silly money that way.

Incidentally, I doubt that you have driven any of the locally produced SUV's, as whilst they are not the ultimate in refinement, they are very good at what they're designed for.

^

Actually, the only 'status symbol' cars here are imports. As an example, a new Mini Cooper (which in the UK costs 2 thirds of the price of a Honda Accord) here costs more than the combined new price of our Toyota Fortuner and Honda Accord. Very few expats, even if they can afford it, are going to pay silly money that way.

Incidentally, I doubt that you have driven any of the locally produced SUV's, as whilst they are not the ultimate in refinement, they are very good at what they're designed for.

You are right, for status, it's not the size, it's the price! Every small Boxster will do better, than a Mu7. giggle.gif

And, for the record, I did drived some of the local produced so called 'SUVs'. I'm not saying, the Fortuner is a bad car. Neither is the Toyota Hilux. But even with the different suspension, the Fortuner is far away, from the 'S', don't you think? Much closer, to a Hilux with Box! But 50% more expensive, for the 'Status', 'not to drive' a Pick up. The point (mine!) was: Which Thai with money will pay additional 300k, to get one of these today, instead tomorrow? Which Farang will do so? Paying more, but no one can see it? What is the reason for that?