License Plate Problems

lovelomsak

I lost my phantom license plate 6 months ago and donot have a new one. the local Dept of Transport kept giving me excuses and my gf translated. I got tired of getting no where so a month ago I went to the capital of the province as advised by a lawyer. They said they could get my license plate and come back. I came back they said sorry cannot get the plate go to the provincial dept of Transport and they can get it in 2 or 3 months. Well I went to Bangkok instead and went to my embassy to see what I should do. The embassy contacted the provincial Dept of Transport. The local Dept of transport told the embassy a new company is making the plates now and are so far behind in production they are doing one province at a time.I was told it maybe months to years before i get the new plate. The local Dept of Transport gave me a photocopy with permission to drive without a plate. The embassy staff said I should get this paper covered with plastic( laminated) because it is all I will have for a long time.

So I was wondering if this is all a run around or have others heard about this production problem for plates? My gf never mentioned it to me in her translations nor have I read or heard about it from anyone else.

Take it easy mate, no need to get all worked up here.

There was a quality issue with the license plates, however afaik that has been solved. I presume that at present license plates are issued at the normal speed (which means 2-3 months, so longer than the officially required speed).

I have never heard of issuing license plates one province at a time though. But for the moment you have a official note saying you're legal, so for the moment you're fine.

Did you buy the bike new? If so, go back to the dealer where you bought it from and ask them to sort this out for you.

Edited by stevenl

There is a general issue with the provision of white plates in Thailand, due to quality issues indeed.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

So what are some of the issues other than what I mentioned? And what are the quality issues? If I may ask.

The issue was with car plates primarily the old company obviously wanted to maintain their contracted profit margin inspite of rising material costs hence all the plates out there with the paint falling off presumably from a formula change.

This is a well covered topic. A quick search would have saved you all this trouble.

What do I search I couldnot find anything I will greatly accept all assistance with finding the info that covers this. Maybe a link would help

This is a well covered topic. A quick search would have saved you all this trouble.

What do I search I couldnot find anything I will greatly accept all assistance with finding the info that covers this. Maybe a link would help

try search here under license plates......

or search number plates

I have commented on other threads about no number plates. I bought a new car in April. I still do not have a number plates. The car rego sticker was issued in June so I have a lable on my windscreen and book but no number plates. I have driven from Phayao to Chiang Rai and Mae Sai. Been through numerous police checks and never been stopped. It appears that the police are aware of the shortage of number plates. I see many cars and motor bikes without plates.

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry5367700

or search number plates

http://www.thaivisa....e-waiting-time/

Thanks for these links. It helps to put me at ease. The gf isnot talking to me at the moment because she feels I am angry at her because she cannot fix this for me.

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry5367700

or search number plates

http://www.thaivisa....e-waiting-time/

Thanks for these links. It helps to put me at ease. The gf isnot talking to me at the moment because she feels I am angry at her because she cannot fix this for me.

lol really?

Even though your plate is not there your book and tax sticker should be available. You could affix your tax sticker to the window.

He has a bike, not a car.

Then he can affix on the back where his plate goes....I am sure he can figure it out

I have to apologize to all here . In my haste to post this I didnot notice the bike forum . I just saw the motoring forum and thought it included all motoring. I feel I should have posted in the bike forum. Again sorry for the blatant mistake.

I got my plate last night. I went to Bangkok last week and had to go to Dept of Foreign affairs,well there I mentioned my problem to some people there. Last night I came home about 5:30 and 2 employees of the Dept of Transport were waiting for me and had my replacement plate. So ended well got delivery to my door. Thanks to all here for making the effort to help.

Edited by lovelomsak

It is possible if you have your book and sticker to make a home-made plate ( using plastic or cardboard ) to use temporarily.

In the last few month I saw a few home-made plates on cars,pick-up truck and even one a large truck. As you have the registration number it should be possible. People write the letters , number and Province in Thai like a real plate.

Most of the cardboard plates I see are in English, Fortuner,Corolla,Vios tongue.png .

Now that you talk about it... I recall the Toyota dealer telling me they had a shortage of red plates, and hence would be giving me "fake" plates. But apparently that shortage does not touch Mitsubishi, Mazda, Ford, or any of the others.

Most of the cardboard plates I see are in English, Fortuner,Corolla,Vios tongue.png .

Now that you talk about it... I recall the Toyota dealer telling me they had a shortage of red plates, and hence would be giving me "fake" plates. But apparently that shortage does not touch Mitsubishi, Mazda, Ford, or any of the others.

Maybe toyota sells more then the above^^^^^^^ combined