What'S The Problem With License Plates?

Got delivery of a Nissan Teana 16 March, got red license plates from Khon Kaen garage.

Phoned them to ask when I will get the normal license plates.

Answer: we will call you when we get them, yeah, TIT.

Unhappy with Nissan Khon Kaen we ordered a NIssan March for the wife late March, car delivered 13 April.

Got notice on license plate last week, went visit the Udon garage, got the tax sticker with license number but where told have to wait for the metal license plate, seems there are problems producing them???

We will be informed when they will arrive at the garage.

Anyone heard about the problems?

I'm interested to see answers on this question.

I too have my tax sticker but have heard the same thing about the plates.

I guess this means that the dealer has paid the tax , but I have been waiting since December!

From what I understand there are problems with the delivery of white plates, which is apparently not meeting quality control demands.

Sounds strange here, but do a search on the forum here and you'll find more info.

No.There IS a quality issue with white plates this year with the paint delaminating and falling off, rendering them unreadable. You can see plenty of them on the roads as well as the owners who have given up and printed their own!

Usually it takes 4-6 weeks to get the white plates when there aren't paint problems but can also run to 8-10 weeks and beyond in the latter part of a 'normal' year.

Remember, no white plates is a fine -able offense for the ''owner'' after 30 days. If you haven't got them by then then go to the transport office where the road tax was paid and get an official note stating ''awaiting'' plates to show the cops if a problem. I did this with my PCX. smile.png

I too have my tax sticker but have heard the same thing about the plates.

I guess this means that the dealer has paid the tax , but I have been waiting since December!

Mine only took 46 days for white plate! I think dealers hold money for a while befor setting wheels in motions!

There is no money for the dealers to hold on to if we have the tax sticker.

Mine has been 4 months...so got the tax sticker and I got replica white plate made in klongtom with my number so that way I don't get much attention from police and also those jealous clowns. (by the way this is not 100 % legal but police will let you get by with proper tax and white plate delay problem)

• 2 weeks later...

a little off topic but I got replacement plate for my company car in 3 days (this week)..................... the boss called the transport dept, .........if you know the right people or pay for tea it doesn't take long whistling.gif

Back a few years in Victoria Australia, where I am from, they had the same problem with the white plates. They couldn't confirm it but the general consensus was that the inmates that work in the number plate section were pissing in the paint mix. Believe it or not!

We took delivery of a car in Bangkok in early March and received the white plates last week, so nearly 4 months. I think it pays to stay in touch with the dealer and keep asking them. I also believe that another 300,000 sets of plates were released a few weeks back so it is a good time to push for them now.

• 3 months later...

The paint on the license plates on my car appears to be disintegrating. The black paint on the letters and numbers of the front license plate has almost completely peeled off and the plate is now almost totally white. It not only looks crappy but I was warned at a recent police checkpoint that the plates are not up to standard. The back licence plate is almost as bad. The car dealer in Pattaya where I bought the car told me they are not responsible for it and they will not repaint the plates. I suppose I could do it my self but I would prefer someone professional. I live and work in the Pattaya area. I haven't had time to go to the local department of motor vehicles and ask them for new plates or repainted plates. Anybody have this problem with their plates and were you able to have them repainted? Thanks.

Number plates cant be supplied by the Gov as they can't keep up with the orders re new cars.

My mother in law is still waiting on hers and that is now 6 months.

However when she bought the new Nissan March at Lop Buri, she was told there was a big delay on new plates and there were no Red Plates left for distribution.

They issued her with a piece of paper that states in Thai, that the car is Registered and Insured and awaiting new plates. Stamped by the Gov Vehicle registry office.

The dealer will notify her when the new plates arrive, until then it's a piece of paper.