Thai Airways Airbus A380 Lands At Suvarnabhumi

webfact

All I am interested in is to know whether they have made the economy seats a bit wider than in all other aircraft, so that you don't get squashed in so often between to Fatsos any longer.

Looks like you'll be getting a whole 18"

The configurations of the seats are:

Royal First

83” pitch

26.5” wide

Fully flat bed with 23” AVOD interactive touch screen

Royal Silk

74” pitch

20” wide

Fully flat recline with 15” AVOD interactive touch screen

Economy:

32” pitch

18” wide

10.6” AVOD seatback touch screen

For more information, visit www.thaiairways.com

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A headline surpassing idiocy really, surely ... "Thai Airways Airbus A380 lands at Suvarnabhumi". Where else? Sukhumvit?

Don Mueang?

Or any airport Thai Airways flies in the world.

After they asked Airbus to cancel or delay the delivery of the A380 few years ago, they finally get the super jumbo. Great event to celebrate as Thai will enter the short list of airplane companies using this prestigious aircraft.

All I am interested in is to know whether they have made the economy seats a bit wider than in all other aircraft, so that you don't get squashed in so often between to Fatsos any longer.

Economy:

32” pitch

18” wide

A whole 18 inches? I would be happy with the 10.6 inches that is touch sensitive (lol).

Three interesting facts from this post:

1. The A380 also looks nice in TG-colours - a great plane!
  2. "As a side note, the new President of Thai is also Chairmen of MCOT (another government owned company)" - Very very interesting, what a capacity of work, power and intelligence this man must have ... Doing the President for two big companies like that ? OMG. Must be also very interesting in the Satang-side of the job, having two salaries and cumulated kickback payments ...
  3. Planes are getting bigger, humans are getting fatter - but the seats and seat-to-seat-distances remain unchanged. Somebody called the economoy class the CATTLE class. 100% true. Too sad.

While I really like the EVA Premier Elite almost business class seats when I fly from LAX to BKK, I did see that China Southern I think it was offers this big airplane on flights from LAX to BKK via china. Seat reviews seem to be fairly positive and the seats are bigger than normal coach. If nothing else but to say I was in China I am considering booking with them

Royal First

83” pitch

26.5” wide

Fully flat bed with 23” AVOD interactive touch screen

Royal Silk

74” pitch

20” wide

Fully flat recline with 15” AVOD interactive touch screen

Economy:

32” pitch

18” wide

Pitch in economy is almost Air Asia standard. Horrible. At Emirates it is 34", and even that is still pretty bad on long haul.

Economy:

32” pitch

18” wide

18" wide is good, but 32" pitch is poor.. That's me out.

A core selling point of the current Thai long-haul experience is the 34" seat pitch.

There was some discussion as to whether Thai would retain this in the new sales pitch.

Well now we have the answer.

For years now Thai has blown out on both competitive pricing and the rubbish ents.

There were 3 positives: service, food and seat pitch. Well now going down to 2.

Thailand, The Hub of Misinformation

" three classes: Royal First class (12 seats), Royal Silk (60 seats) and Economy (495 seats) totaling 507 passengers"

12+60+495=507

I would have thought the total would be 567.

http://www.thaiairwa...39;s New&id=405

" The aircraft are equipped to carry 507 passengers in a three-class configuration: 12 seats in Royal First Class, 60 seats in Royal Silk Class and 435 seats in Economy Class."

"Singapore Airlines configuration of the A380 only seats 371 passengers"

SeatGuru.com and the Singapore Air site show 60 business, 399 economy and 12 private suite class

60+399+12=471

12+60+435 is 507 you dingus. Go check your eyes along with your likes.. I know maths is scary and hard but my 7yo can at least do addition. whistling.gif

It is a government owned and operated airline.

THAI is a "Public Company Limited", so it's not government owned, nor government operated. Mind you, I admit to a certain political influence which might explain some board movements and lack of profit

http://www.set.or.th....do?symbol=thai

Should be clear about this - on June 15 2011, the government announced that it would sell down it's shareholding from 51.03% down to 49.99%.

http://centreforavia...ares-down-53224

The difference is that at 50% or more it is classified under the law as an SOE (State-Owned Enterprise/Entity). SOE's must have major spending decisions ratified by the responsible government ministry for that sector - in this case the transport ministry. Actually this sale of holding is cheating a little as certainly 0.4% was being purchased by the crown property bureau, but the ministry would lose control.

So you're both correct - when the purchasing decision was made for the A380, it had to be ratified by the transport ministry, and not sure of the value requirement, but above a certain amount it goes to cabinet. However, right now, Thai is no longer classified as an SOE.

Cheers

Although I appreciate your trying to be kind in your choosing who is right or wrong .. the FACT is that it is a government owned and operated entity. Also, one of the other largest share holders is the Government Savings Bank. And while the Government owns more than 50% there is no other shareholder that owns any significant portion ... I think the next highest shareholder owns about 8%.

Also the Ministry has not sold its shares to reduce its 50%+ ownership and the article you quote from more than a year ago clearly states in the first line they are a "State Enterprise" and nothing has changed since this article accept they didn't reduce their ownership.

Thailand's Finance Ministry has announced it intends to cut its ownership stake in Thai Airways International from 51.03% to 49.99% and support
a bid to end carrier's legal status as a state enterprise.

For a list of more Government Owned Airlines .. http://en.wikipedia....-owned_airlines

Thanks Nisa,

I think there is actually a large difference in ownership status between the government as the single largest shareholder (even if it becomes indirect via other government entities) and an SOE.

As the largest shareholder, government representatives have power at AGMs - by appointing/removing directors.

As an SOE, the directors can make no large decisions without the transport ministry ratifying it.

While the sale may not have happened yet - possibly the government has decided it doesn't like some of the directors and would rather change them before giving them semi-independence - it does show that generally they are concerned at the inefficiencies of the current process as an SOE. The reason for such a small proposed reduction in ownership is possibly to keep the share price as unaffected as possible - it could be disastrous for Thai if they suddenly put 20% or more of their holding up for sale.

Lastly - I generally approve of governments having a large stake in at least one carrier - in parlance "flag carrier" - that recognises that a successful airline is an incredibly valuable asset to a country in times of war and disaster, when assets may be "borrowed" for a period of time. Without that ability, countries would have to massively upgrade the transport ability of the military. Also of course in peacetime you can place service-requirements on them (ensuring that smaller cities are served by flights - that was the downfall of the original JAL).

Cheers

Edited by airconsult

If you look at THAI's major shareholders list on the SET website, you'll see that the Ministry of Finance and other government dominated entities such as MFC Asset Mgmt are pretty much the only significant individual shareholders... All the others are down in the 1 and 2% share holdings range.

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyholder.do;jsessionid=928446440892912B4F3D8A7AF7623910?symbol=THAI&language=en&country=US

With reference to post 19, I have seen youtube pictures of an middle eastern airline, think Man city, who picked up a new A380 and totalled the aircraft before take off, always best to read the maunal before you think you can fly/drive.

With reference to post 19, I have seen youtube pictures of an middle eastern airline, think Man city, who picked up a new A380 and totalled the aircraft before take off, always best to read the maunal before you think you can fly/drive.

That was an AIrbus A340 Not an A380. The difference amongst others is one has 2 floors the other has just 1!whistling.gif

Yes you are right. It was a brand new Etihad A340 before which jumped its' chocks at full power, mounted a concrete barrier and broke its' back. Don't know if the airframe was written off or not-most probably yes.

My motto: "If it ain't a Boeing, I'm not goeing!" neus.gif

Check the statistics a little closer and I think you will find there are far more prangs with Boeing's than there are with Airbus's. But hey; I have a relative who was a senior Airframe Engineer with BA for more than 20 years. He wouldn't fly at all and when asked why, he would only say, ''if you knew what I know, you wouldn't fly either''. Now that's quite something from a bloke who could have quite a few free tickets to anywhere each year. Did I heed his words? Nah; I'll take my chances and die when it's my turn.

And the contest is underway for the most doom and gloom poster responding to a positive news.

After brownie points Nisa with you silly comment-- BUT I welcome the news- long overdue aircraft. opposit to doom and gloom would be-over optomistic over the top poster smacking most honest posters views re- flaws here in Thailand.