2013 Platinum Px250 Enduro 67,000B

NomadJoe

I have seen it at the bike festival bangkok, iirr this year. I was not impressed. Maybe i expected too much, but i remember it somehow looked cheap. And the top-box was already broken iirr. But of course you shouldn't compare it with a Versys and Givi-trekker-boxes. And i was pissed of about their "special offer" at 120k Baht (or was it 129k?) for a bike that would be delivered months later. They told people the price would go up after the bike festival. Imo a pretty stupid strategy. They should be happy to sell some bikes and getting good reputation first before starting such attitude blink.png

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AllanB , as Richard-BKK , explains , this bike is sold under other names in other countries ( as Benelli is sold as Keeway in Brazil ) and for the price , its about half what it would cost to convert / modify a KLX with the crash bars and panniers etc. I thought the CRF was closer to 140,000. Maybe its going out of favor with some people as its had more than its share of quality problems. The reason i was looking at some of the "cheaper" bikes , was when i move full time to CM , i want / need a bike for running around on while finding a house etc. A bike i wont be too fussy about (i like to strip down and modify my bikes ). Once a house with garage is found , i can buy a better bike (KLX). I will then modify it to my own specs , something i wont be able to do whilst staying at a guest house.

a second hand klx or crf is like what you are describing jeff.

of course second hand ones. a klx is going for 80 k thb and crf around 90 k thb.

so cheap, strong and sure they will not be fussy.

they will sure keep your feet above the ground in a much more reliable and fun way than a lifan or ryuka-zongshen whatever.

and fair share of quality problems of crf and klx? i dont her mush really so if you know, please provide us some links so we know as well. Thanks.

It's not a dirt bike with panniers. It's a cheap little bike going for the touring versys/500x look.

Exactly. And if it is reliable - and there is no reason to think it is not with the manufacturers history, it is a great buy.

They have been building bikes for a long time.

No other manufacturer offers this amount of standard equipment at anywhere near this price.

But there are always people who take a look at a picture of a bike on a public internet forum, make up there minds what it is without even seeing it in the flesh, and post completely unsubstantiated 'facts' about it.

I am old enuf to remember when the "Made in Japan" label meant cheap, shoddy goods. And look at them now.

i have seen it in real and did you?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/704617-bangkok-bike-festival-2014/?p=8061931

post-184955-14046235582232.jpg

Just dont forget, yes, Japanese bikes are remembered as cheap products 30 - 40 years ago but they innovated or invented things those times and even created bike genres like 'sport bike'. If you are old, i am sure you witnessed these as well.

and what about Chinese? they just copy. in this case, they copied a successful bike; honda cb500x.

that panniers in the photo are like briefcases with very limited carrying capacity and top box is also small. You can get a full proper Givi setup including panniers, mounts and top box for around 10 k THB here and by saying proper, it means stronger panniers with decent dimensions that can carry things apart from documents!

Crash bars start around 3000 thb at local shops. maybe even cheaper for a crf or klx.

so overall, those extras on this generic bike with an unknown origin i am sure costs a lot less than a maximum 13 k thb you can spend for proper Givi pannier/top box solutions and crash bars.

So, overall, it is hard to spend 120 k thb for that bike IMO. just it does not worth.

If they sell it like 80 k thb? maybe we can count it like it has a value.

This is a copy of a CB500x, you mean like a dinky toy is a copy of a real fire engine?

It is 250cc, how is that a copy of a big bike, and it has two cheap ally cases stuck on the back, presumably to store the rest of the rider's toys?

The reason i was looking at some of the "cheaper" bikes , was when i move full time to CM , i want / need a bike for running around on while finding a house etc. A bike i wont be too fussy about (i like to strip down and modify my bikes ). Once a house with garage is found , i can buy a better bike (KLX). I will then modify it to my own specs , something i wont be able to do whilst staying at a guest house.

Before I bought my PCX last year, I gave serious thought to a Honda 250 in Super Motard style.

Talked to the head honcho at Pop - asked about reliability issues with this model as they rent a fair bunch of them out, along with the dirt bike, knobby tire style.

Seemed on a par with other Japanese bikes. They also rent CB500, CB650, Versys, ER6N - biggest game in town

Biggest problem - falang crashing them !!

Lots of articles on the Web about valve issues - but that is probably a result of not maintaining the correct clearances.

If a scooter won't do it for 'Ya - won't cost too much to get one and play. Altho resale may well be a problem - don't know how big a hit you will take if/when you want to sell it.

A second hand KLX is a good option , but even one that is 6 years old , with 40,000 KM on the clock is still 80,000 thb ( when it cost how much in 2008 ,140,000 thb ? ).Proves some bikes keep their value if its only lost 10 or 12,000 thb per year. I think for me it may be best to buy a new KLX and look at it long term. Purchase price isnt a problem. This Ryuka seems very good value for someone after a cheap dual sport / all terrain touring bike.

For the 80k used you can buy a new PCX, and no worries with resale.

What made my mind up was the ease of city driving, carrying capacity with a Givi top box (carried a new battery for the car in it last week !!).

Great bike for lane splitting, and no shifting. Point and shoot.

Average 2.2 litre per 100 km.

For the 80k used you can buy a new PCX, and no worries with resale.

What made my mind up was the ease of city driving, carrying capacity with a Givi top box (carried a new battery for the car in it last week !!).

Great bike for lane splitting, and no shifting. Point and shoot.

Average 2.2 litre per 100 km.

Yes the problems come out when you need to repair the bike.

I have just sold mine 6 months old and only 2700 km I have lost enough money but I dont regret

This thread has lost it's purpose, it began discussing the merits of a dual surface bike priced at 67k and we are now discussing the PCX which is a big scooter completely useless off road.

However, one thing we have learned is that these proven Hondas are not all they are cracked up to be, with some costly faults reported. So going back to the subject matter, we should look at what parts are readily available for this make, or rather what "crucial" parts are available.

With a complete engine/gearbox available for the Lifan at a reasonable price, that is huge advantage, since almost everything else can be either fabricated, welded or repaired to keep the bike on the road.

Most people who venture off road are going to have a few mishaps and things are going break, so spares and repairability are the important factors here, not bag fulls of accessories, or shiny extras.

This thread has lost it's purpose, it began discussing the merits of a dual surface bike priced at 67k and we are now discussing the PCX which is a big scooter completely useless off road.

However, one thing we have learned is that these proven Hondas are not all they are cracked up to be, with some costly faults reported. So going back to the subject matter, we should look at what parts are readily available for this make, or rather what "crucial" parts are available.

With a complete engine/gearbox available for the Lifan at a reasonable price, that is huge advantage, since almost everything else can be either fabricated, welded or repaired to keep the bike on the road.

Most people who venture off road are going to have a few mishaps and things are going break, so spares and repairability are the important factors here, not bag fulls of accessories, or shiny extras.

you are absolutely right, i never tried a chinese bike but there are many positive reviews around chinese bikes especially Keeway and Lifan, people can be happy riding a chinese bike maybe they can find disadvantages (assistance,service, accessories) or maybe not but they have the advantage of buying at a low price, when you buy a more expensive japanese bike you would expect to find a better quality, service and proper care and sometimes there are not

• 11 months later...

It's a quite old thread, and I'm sorry to reactivate it like this.

I will very soon move to a remote place in the Loei province and my house will be in the middle of nowhere with only a sometimes steep dirt road to get there.

In other words I need a dirt bike as I'm afraid my pick up won't make it in the rainy season.

In Loei there's a dealer selling Lifan and I'm hesitating between the cross 200 and the explorer.

I remember the first Platinum I saw a few years ago and would rather be cautious about the reliability of a PX 250.

I recently sold my Kawasaki Ninja 650, but I'm not keen on paying what a KLX250 sells for...

I could read other threads on the website about Keeway, Sym and Lifan, but it seemed to be more a quarrel between 'experts' than anything else.

Is there someone here who would kindly like to share their experience?

Thanks a lot.

B.

papa like Lifan for under 50,000baht.

Not too heavy, like when stuck in mud.

Having a local dealer is ++.

Platinum is prolly ok too.

Same dealer selling Platinum?

I'll 2nd that,I brought a secondhand Lifan Cross dresser and its fine. Handles dirt tracks/roads fine,pulls me along and I'm 113kgs. Good value bike,and got a decent dealer. Cheap for any parts needed etc,some Honda parts fit it as well.

Depending on if you buy new with a warranty , and require a dealer nearby , or second hand and will service it yourself - not difficult to service with fairly basic tools. The Lifan X-Cross 200 , Keeway Enduro E 200 or Platinum PX 250 will all be fine. I bought a Platinum PX for use as a "town bike" and its perfect on road tires , but the bikes comes with 17" front and rear wheels as standard , and its not too easy getting aggressive off-road tires in those sizes. Keeway has 19" front and 17" rear , LIfan has the wildly available off-road sizes of 21" front and 18" rear. Due to this , if your going to be riding in mud , and will always use off-road / dual-sport style tires , i would lean towards the Lifan. Please keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for the update. Thanks to KTM Jeff, indeed I believe the wheels sizes are a point. Indeed, I will be riding in mud, that's why I need such a bike.

There's a Lifan dealer in Loei, so I think this will be the option.

It's not for tomorrow though, I still have time to see what comes to market.

Thanks to all of you for the update. Thanks to KTM Jeff, indeed I believe the wheels sizes are a point. Indeed, I will be riding in mud, that's why I need such a bike.

There are two other guys with Lifans and they seem pleased, mine is on order and should get it in a few days (we shall see) and will let you know my thoughts too. I am not expecting CRF performance, so shouldn't be disappointed, just hope it is the value for money I think it is, it is certainly finished well for a Chinese bike.

The reason I chose the Lifan is the simple side cam technology and the fact that I am told spares are available.... and, of course the price is very good.

I have a full parts catalogue and workshop manual that I downloaded and it is nice to have other owners on here to compares notes and exchange little tips..

There are two other guys with Lifans and they seem pleased, mine is on order and should get it in a few days (we shall see) and will let you know my thoughts too. I am not expecting CRF performance, so shouldn't be disappointed, just hope it is the value for money I think it is, it is certainly finished well for a Chinese bike.

The reason I chose the Lifan is the simple side cam technology and the fact that I am told spares are available.... and, of course the price is very good.

I have a full parts catalogue and workshop manual that I downloaded and it is nice to have other owners on here to compares notes and exchange little tips..

And some parts are direct Honda copies,I.E rear brake master cylinder rubbers,Honda,front brake light switch,Honda Wave.

This info is from my local Lifan dealer,so probably a lot more Honda spares will fit. And I'm one of the happy chappys with a X-Cross or as Papa Al says a Cross-dresser ;-).

It's not for tomorrow though, I still have time to see what

comes to market.

When I first got mine,I took it to some muddy tracks and dirt roads. It performed fine with a big fat lump(18 Stone or about 113Lbs) sitting on it,pulled and handled well and i've got intermediate tyres on it.

Also 2 up,with about 160k,again fine,its not the fastest but its not about that anyway.

Ok,it's not a KLX of CRF but for the money Honey!.

And it you do drop it, not expensive to repair.

Actually MAZ yours is an XCross, so you are officially and Ex-Cross Dresser, meaning you don't do it anymore...quite right too.

I'm cutting down,only at weekends now. Difficult to fit in a size 20 now ;-)

Archived