Department Of Special Investigation To Probe Bangkok Water Tunnels

webfact

DSI to probe BMA water Tunnels

PIYANUCH THAMNUKASETCHAI

PRAPASRI OSATHANON

THE NATION

30191725-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation will probe allegations of graft and ineffectiveness in the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's multi-billion-baht Rama IX-Ramkhamhaeng "giant tunnel" and six other water drainage facilities, DSI chief Tharit Pengdit announced yesterday.

The investigation is in response to a request submitted to the DSI by Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit against the Democrat-led city government.

Prompong alleges there was corruption and bid-rigging involved in the construction of the giant tunnel and drainage tunnels at Sukhumvit Soi 26, Khlong Prem Prachakorn, Phaya Thai, Sukhumvit Soi 36, Sukhumvit Soi 42 and Bung Makkasan.

Prompong said an inspection by Pheu Thai officials found that some of the tunnels did not function properly while others, despite being completed since April, have yet to be tested.

Pheu Thai had earlier questioned the effectiveness of the tunnels while chastising the BMA over the repeated flooding of city streets this rainy season.

Tharit said the DSI's corruption prevention and suppression centre would investigate the case and invite Prompong today (October 5) to give evidence and directions to the problematic spots.

Making further allegations of flood mismanagement by the BMA, the Pheu Thai spokesman said the police and the Corrections Department have dredged storm sewers that the BMA was supposed to have cleaned. He said there 300 to 400 locations targeted for dredging, but the city only cleaned 30 or 40 drains.

Storm sewers in such areas as Hua Mark, Phra Khanong and Bang Na were found to be clogged with garbage and sandbags |from last year's floods, Prompong said.

Pheu Thai Bangkok MP Jirayu Huangsap said the party's anti-corruption office assigned its Bangkok councillors and district councillors to inspect all 50 districts to determine which pipes were dredged by the BMA and which ones were cleaned by the Corrections Department. More than half were dredged by the Corrections Department, Jirayu said, and a report of the findings would be submitted to the DSI next week.

Meanwhile, the DSI Special Case Committee will discuss if it will take up an investigation into the BMA's extension of the Skytrain contract. Prompong said he would follow it closely and plans to file a complaint with the DSI against Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paripatra and Deputy Governor Teerachon Manomaipibul.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-05

• Like 1

Pheu Thai Bangkok MP Jirayu Huangsap said the party's anti-corruption office assigned its Bangkok councillors and district councillors to inspect all 50 districts to determine which pipes were dredged by the BMA and which ones were cleaned by the Corrections Department. More than half were dredged by the Corrections Department, Jirayu said, and a report of the findings would be submitted to the DSI next week.

On her canal dredging tour in August the PM said

"She elaborated that the government has assigned the army to be in charge of canal-dredging and landscape improvement works, and the latter has completed the task mentioned on 277 canals as scheduled. The project is aimed at increasing the efficiency of water use and storage."

So we have a number of government taskforces (FROC, W?FPC, etc.) all 'controlling', 'directing', 'issuing orders', etc. If anything goes wrong it's not their fault obviously as they don't do the work and others are only allowed to do what those commissions tell them to do. Sometimes I wonder if the Bangkok government is really allowed to look at drains without a proper order from the PM herself ?

• Like 2

Just to illustrate the confusion on who does what and why:

The government set up an Command centre for Bangkok to cope with TS Gaemi (Joint Operations Centre on Water Drainage in Low-Lying Areas aka JOCWDLLA) coordinating relevant operations among agencies involved

http://www.thaivisa....up-for-bangkok/

I think they make names like this so that when you get their business card you can't read it and realize that they are the idiots who caused the flood.

• Like 1

Um, maybe the Dems did muck around with the money for the tunnels. They sure did not work last week.

Check out the street lights they put up on silom and sat horn a couple of years ago. They still don't work! Clearly a revenue harvesting operation!

The Pheu Thai didn't do anything all year long and start the typical blame game, the sh****tloading the guilt game.

Those worms are living in an awfully big can!!!coffee1.gif.

Well perhaps it's long overdue for a shake. Let's see what comes out. I doubt that the PTP would be stirring up the BMA from a position of weakness.

Maybe a few from all sides can go down there over the weekend and all get washed out to sea together.

Problem is, I fear they would simply bob around stationary surrounded by crap. Actually, rather sounds like Thai politics all over.

Of course they didn't clean and dredge all the canals, that would be too much like hard work.

"She elaborated that the government has assigned the army to be in charge of canal-dredging and landscape improvement works, and the latter has completed the task mentioned on 277 canals as scheduled. The project is aimed at increasing the efficiency of water use and storage."

So we have a number of government taskforces (FROC, W?FPC, etc.) all 'controlling', 'directing', 'issuing orders', etc. If anything goes wrong it's not their fault obviously as they don't do the work and others are only allowed to do what those commissions tell them to do. Sometimes I wonder if the Bangkok government is really allowed to look at drains without a proper order from the PM herself ?

Royal Thai Army Handed Canal Dredging Project to Government

May 30th, 2012 at Klong Sanamchai Bangkhunthien district, General Prayut Chan-O-Cha, Commander-in-Chief handed the military executed canal dredging project to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. This project which was started on February 15th 2012 is under the government’s plan to prevent the flood in downstream area. During 3 months of work, the Army dredged 277 canals for total of 558 Kilometers in 27 districts of Bangkok. The average depth of the canal is increased from 0.8 Meters to 1.7 Meters, and vetiver grass is planted along the canal banks in order to prevent soil erosion.

http://www.weloverta.org/eng/royal-thai-army-handed-canal-dredging-project-to-government/

In light of the above may I suggest that the OP is talking about dredging Pipes not Canals,

"to inspect all 50 districts to determine which pipes were dredged by the BMA and which ones were cleaned by the Corrections Department"

which presumably are part of the pumping part of the process not the free running down canals part. It seems reasonable that there are different organisations in charge of various parts of the whole Hydro Power, Irrigation and Flood Control system. It was recognised after last year and the year befores floods that there was confusion between the organisations. The PTP attempted to improve on that existing "system" last year with the establishment of FROC but there were still too many political battles being fought with the BMA being obstructive and others just didn't have any experience.

This year they are trying to improve again but are being blamed for floods in Bangkok that could have been alleviated by having these giant tunnels and drainage tunnels in working order. And that is down to the BMA.

Yet you try and make it some fault of the PM?
  • Like 1

May 30th, 2012 at Klong Sanamchai Bangkhunthien district, General Prayut Chan-O-Cha, Commander-in-Chief handed the military executed canal dredging project to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. This project which was started on February 15th 2012 is under the government’s plan to prevent the flood in downstream area. During 3 months of work, the Army dredged 277 canals for total of 558 Kilometers in 27 districts of Bangkok. The average depth of the canal is increased from 0.8 Meters to 1.7 Meters, and vetiver grass is planted along the canal banks in order to prevent soil erosion.

http://www.weloverta...-to-government/

In light of the above may I suggest that the OP is talking about dredging Pipes not Canals,

"to inspect all 50 districts to determine which pipes were dredged by the BMA and which ones were cleaned by the Corrections Department"

which presumably are part of the pumping part of the process not the free running down canals part. It seems reasonable that there are different organisations in charge of various parts of the whole Hydro Power, Irrigation and Flood Control system. It was recognised after last year and the year befores floods that there was confusion between the organisations. The PTP attempted to improve on that existing "system" last year with the establishment of FROC but there were still too many political battles being fought with the BMA being obstructive and others just didn't have any experience.

This year they are trying to improve again but are being blamed for floods in Bangkok that could have been alleviated by having these giant tunnels and drainage tunnels in working order. And that is down to the BMA.

Well, this then raises another question, if the army dredged the canals essentially for free, what the hell did any of the money get spent ?

I was under the impression that the BMA was paying for this to be done, but it appears that the army claims to have done it already.

Um, maybe the Dems did muck around with the money for the tunnels. They sure did not work last week.

Check out the street lights they put up on silom and sat horn a couple of years ago. They still don't work! Clearly a revenue harvesting operation!

How long was the flooding around last week? Asoke was under 30-50 cm of water, but was dry an hour after the rain stopped.

a day or two ago, I read in one of the major Eng.lang newspapers that city officials suspect people of intentionally putting impediments (sacks of sand, block pieces, etc) in to some drainage waterways. There was suspicion that it was done by people who wanted to make the BKK governor look bad (exacerbate the flooding, and make it appear he's not doing enough to clear drainages). Believable to me, yet I didn't see that allegation in the OP report.

If PT can make the Bkk gov (who represents their opposition) look bad, then it will benefit the PT candidate, whomever that might be. Maybe Thaksin's other sister?

• Like 2

a day or two ago, I read in one of the major Eng.lang newspapers that city officials suspect people of intentionally putting impediments (sacks of sand, block pieces, etc) in to some drainage waterways. There was suspicion that it was done by people who wanted to make the BKK governor look bad (exacerbate the flooding, and make it appear he's not doing enough to clear drainages). Believable to me, yet I didn't see that allegation in the OP report.

If PT can make the Bkk gov (who represents their opposition) look bad, then it will benefit the PT candidate, whomever that might be. Maybe Thaksin's other sister?

I saw it reported in the other paper too. They claimed that it was filled with sand and concrete blocks. What odds it has been sitting there since last year, or forever?

The Pheu Thai didn't do anything all year long and start the typical blame game, the sh****tloading the guilt game.

Those worms are living in an awfully big can!!!coffee1.gif.

Well perhaps it's long overdue for a shake. Let's see what comes out. I doubt that the PTP would be stirring up the BMA from a position of weakness.

Are you kidding?

The only problem would be where to start dishing the dirt - please tell me where their strength's lie!!!!!

a day or two ago, I read in one of the major Eng.lang newspapers that city officials suspect people of intentionally putting impediments (sacks of sand, block pieces, etc) in to some drainage waterways. There was suspicion that it was done by people who wanted to make the BKK governor look bad (exacerbate the flooding, and make it appear he's not doing enough to clear drainages).

Imagine something like this in other countries ....

Sometimes it is breathtaking how hateful (at the end, to the disadvantage of their fellow 'phuean thais') and shortsighted many of the people in this country are.

Well, this then raises another question, if the army dredged the canals essentially for free, what the hell did any of the money get spent ?

I was under the impression that the BMA was paying for this to be done, but it appears that the army claims to have done it already.

Well there's a bit of a clue in the OP title. The disputed work is the "dredging" (blame the nation for that usage of the word) of the BMA water tunnels and pipes
not
canals which the army carried out.

And it could be that the BMA didn't carry out maintenance as is being suggested and as they have not done in years before, but that would be against the "message" on here wouldn't it?

Oh no, Pipey Don is back.

Well there's a bit of a clue in the OP title. The disputed work is the "dredging" (blame the nation for that usage of the word) of the BMA water tunnels and pipes
not

Well, this means that the money allocated to the BMA for their remedial work should have gone even further than indicated, if it didn't include any of the dredging of the canals only tunnels and drains. By now, with all that money, they probably could have cleaned, refurbed, and rebuilt the whole system 3 times over.

These allegations are believable to you?

Like red-shirts, driving around in big trucks, late a t night, dumping blocks of cement into klongs to block them?

oooooooookay....

By the way: how many of the buildings that illegally blocked canals in Bangkok have been torn down?!

not

Well, this means that the money allocated to the BMA for their remedial work should have gone even further than indicated, if it didn't include any of the dredging of the canals only tunnels and drains. By now, with all that money, they probably could have cleaned, refurbed, and rebuilt the whole system 3 times over.

However, here is a corker of some info I hadn't seen before.

http://www.pattayamail.com/business/bma-to-consider-doubling-flood-preparation-budget-15385

Therefore, he revealed that during the upcoming consideration of the 2013 budget, the BMA will ask the government to double the budget for flood prevention in all 50 districts of Bangkok from 75.1 million to 150.2 million baht.

According to the proposal, 18 districts will receive a budget of 2.4 million baht instead of 1.2 million baht, including Phra Nakhon, Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Samphanthawong, Bang Rak, Pathum Wan, Yan Nawa, Huai Khwang, Phra Khanong, Khlong San, Bangkok Yai, Rat Burana, Sathon, Ratchathewi, Khan Na Yao, Saphan Sung, Watthana, Thawi Watthana, and Phaya Thai.

3 million baht, instead of 1.5 million baht, will be given to 21 others, including Dusit, Bang Kapi, Min Buri, Thon Buri, Bangkok Noi, Taling Chan, Phasi Charoen, Nong Khaem, Lat Phrao, Bueng Kum, Bang Kho Laem, Khlong Toei, Prawet, Bang Phlat, Din Daeng, Suan Luang, Lak Si, Wang Thonglang, Bang Na, Bang Bon, and Thung Khru.

Meanwhile, the other 11 districts severely hit by last year’s flood will receive 4 million instead of 2 million baht. They comprise Lat Krabang, Chatuchak, Bang Sue, Bang Khun Thian, Bang Khae, Khlong Sam Wa, Sai Mai, Don Mueang, Chom Thong, and Nong Chok.

Now I am not being cheap, but if it can cost 100mn to put up a couple of thousand posts, would I take 3 mn to take responsibility for cleaning an entire districts drains for an entire year? This is spitting into the wind. Of course, we wont ask why they have 1000 dam_n districts all sitting on their own disparate budgets, but honestly.

Edited by Thai at Heart

That's handy. Just send your personal DEPARTMENT OF SPECIAL INVESTIGATION team if you need help. Let me guess what the result of their "investigation" will be......bah.gif

The Shins are making good use of their friends at the DSI.

Tharit, how about the investigation into the MIB/ Any progress?

Who is the real Tharit? Let’s find out.

This is what he said in July 2010 when a mib called Surachai was arrested on his recommendation.

DSI Director general Tharit Phengdit said that from an initial investigation Surachai is found to be involved with 8 criminal cases, most (or all) of them are related to the MiB.

These 8 cases include:

1) the firing of an M79 into the 11th Infantry Regiment on January 28, 2010;

2) the firing of grenades during the incidents at Kok Wua intersection on April 10, 2010, which caused 5 deaths of soldiers (including that of Col Romklao);

3) the firing into the oil depot at Prathum Thani on April 21, 2010;

4) the firing of an M79 into the BTS station at Sala-Daeng on April 22, 2010, which caused 2 deaths and 78 injuries;

5) the firing of an RPG into Dusit-Thani Hotel on May 17, 2010 (note: according to Matichon, Tharit was quoted as stating that Surachai admitted that he fired a Travo gun into Dusit-Thani because he believed that the shot at Sae-Daeng was fired from the hotel);

6) the firing attack into the police flat at Lumpini Police Station on May 19, 2010, causing deaths and injuries of police officers and their families;

7) the firing of an M16 on police officers and soldiers in front of the Krung Thai Bank, Sala-Daeng Branch, on May 7, 2010, which caused 1 death and 2 injuries of policemen;

8) the firing into the UCL (อื้อ จื่อ เหลียง) building on May 14, 2010, causing 1 deaths and 4 injuries of police officers (see Thairath).

Any progress MR. Tharit? Or are you too busy serving your paymaster?

Edited by Nickymaster

Marvellous how Phue Thai start throwing mud when elections are due and they don't have a candidate. And as if their whole parliament is not guilty of the same sin. Thai politics - every day a new revelation of corruption.

I liked this part

"Prompong said an inspection by Pheu Thai officials found that some of the tunnels did not function properly while others, despite being completed since April, have yet to be tested"

Pheu Thai officials are supposed to be running a country.

Now we find out they are experts on tunnels.

If there expertise on tunnels is equal to their expertise on running a government we can be sure the tunnels are A OK.

Of course their was graft in the deal that was the first item on the agenda when they drew up the plans. But I am sure that a lot of the garbage they found in the canals was deposited there since the flood was over last year. What they need is laws against using them as a dump and to follow up with stiff penalties.

All the FROC did was set up a vehicle for more corruption. If they had done their job there would have been no need for other commissions. What ever happened to the emergency supplies they abandoned in their emergency center for flood control that they had to abandon at the old airport because they didn't know that floods can interfere with office work.

My dear chap, you start to sound awfully like some of our dear, but sadly departed members. Read again, I do not try to make it a fault of the PM. I just quote from her own words where she says 'all is well'.

Note that this may be a bit pedantic, but canals are dredged, pipes are flushed or cleaned, but not dredged. Mind you, possibly a case of lost in translation wink.png

Anyway, the PM takes the credit, the PM also gets stuck with the debit. Goes with the job. There's only so many times you can believably say 'but the previous government ..."

Pheu Thai officials are supposed to be running a country.

Colonial governments do not run countries, they ruin countries. It doesn't matter which party is in charge or which party holds the position of prime minister. The parties do not really represent different political views. Thai politics is all about which group within the larger Sino-Thai network will get the biggest piece of the pie, and then all the parties will then busily send the ill-gained pie share profits offshore. What?!? You though that Thaksin was somewhat unique? The only real issue the other players have with the Shinawats is that they don't share enough of the pie and that Thaksin earned his immense wealth too quickly without paying his dues. It was like a Thai police lieutenant suddenly coming into enough wealth to purchase a generalship without moving up properly through the ranks.