English Name For A Thai Weed/vegetable

Is there an English name for the weed-like veggie, Pak Pak Boong? I can't find a picture of it or I would, but it's the very fibrous tube like grass/reed/weed or whatever you want to call it that the Thais cook and tastes fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any information

http://en.wikipedia....pomoea_aquatica

My wife agrees, a species of morning glory, aroi maak.

Water spinach for what it's worth, why not use the Thai word?

Thanks a lot for the information. I was asking because am in the states at present and wanted to get some seeds for my Dad.

Again, thanks a lot.

Some morning glory is poisonous, not sure how poisonous though.

If you are planning on bringing seeds to Thailand, don't bother. Just grab a bit of the vine from somewhere, stick it in water or wet soil and it will root easily and grow.

http://en.wikipedia....pomoea_aquatica

My wife agrees, a species of morning glory, aroi maak.

Water spinach for what it's worth, why not use the Thai word?

Thanks a lot for the information. I was asking because am in the states at present and wanted to get some seeds for my Dad.

Again, thanks a lot.

Some morning glory is poisonous, not sure how poisonous though.

If you are planning on bringing seeds to Thailand, don't bother. Just grab a bit of the vine from somewhere, stick it in water or wet soil and it will root easily and grow.

Hmmm..............I tasted some in a local restaurant and thought it was nice so the live-in GF cooked some for us a few nights later. She ate a little and was ok, whereas I made a pig of myself and was violently sick for about a day. Never touched it since.

It is most likely to be Ipomoea aquatica Morning Glory or water spinich . Be careful with morning glory as it can get out of control in some areas as a envirionmental weed if you are importing it into an area where it is not native too.. It is a serious problem in Australia where some varieties will suffocate large trees as well as just take over large areas of land or waterway surrounds and it is a constant and expensive battle to keep it under control.. There are some species that are classified as a narcotic but i will not go into the method of using it as such .

But it is nice in Thai dishes especially fried in a stir fry..

Xen is right. It's Ipomoea aquatica, although my book of Thai plants give it's English name as Water Morning Glory.

That is the problem with common names and why it is always better to use the botanical (Latin) name for accurracy. It probably has a dozen common names plus all the names in different languages and dialects.

Edited by xen

There are aquatic and soil species of Ipomoea with very similar characteristics.

Interestingly enough, they are related to Sweet Potato, Ipomoea batata if memory serves correctly.

The farm shops sell seed for the soil species.

As I recall the seed is restricted in the US.

It may have something to do with the seed being toxic or hallucenogenic?

There are over 1000 species of Ipomoea, if you google it you will find only one kind that is touted as a hallucinogen, and certainly not this one. Some species are definitely toxic, so be sure that you know what you are doing before you seek enlightenment.

its the seeds of the morning glory that grows on land, u grind them up, eat them, hullucinate and puke your brains out. it was fave thing to do when i was in high school. it only just beat jimson weed (which causes coma and death after u hallucinate if u over dose or are senstive to it) as a stupid 'natural' plant to take with out expert (shaman style) supervision.

the paak boong is great in soups and stir fries... we grow it here in israel not in water, but does need a lot of watering. it got here because of the thais smuggling it over here ...

bina

ผักบุ้ง is definitely morning glory, i am trying to grow it here in the netherlands. As it is a waterplant i am trying to grow it soaked with water in a canister with a lot of sunshine. And it's growing slowly. Just started 4 weeks ago...

it should grow ok dance,

i just went to the local lake, took a bag full back to our farm put it into our pond and it grows like mad, we have to take some out every 2 weeks easy, maybe each week, good thing is all the amimals like it too, and if we have to much i just put it on the compost heap with it being wet it helps that too,

jake

it should grow ok dance,

i just went to the local lake, took a bag full back to our farm put it into our pond and it grows like mad, we have to take some out every 2 weeks easy, maybe each week, good thing is all the amimals like it too, and if we have to much i just put it on the compost heap with it being wet it helps that too,

jake

And in which country are you growing them, my fellow farmer? Oh i see near Chantaburi. I try to grow them in cold and rainy netherlands, now. :-( Thanks for the input though.. :-)