Rain Finished?

stevehaigh

It's back. Pouring in Rawai now.

So bad in Rawai I turned off the computers and unplugged the telephone line this afternoon.

And 3BB ADSL didn't come back until just before 5 pm in south Rawai.

Also, cable TV was off until about 6:30.

Welcome to LOS - lots of showers. biggrin.png

My 3BB and KPP internet were both working fine all day and I'm on the southern part of Soi Cokmakham. But it did rain pretty hard and quite a bit of lightning and thunder. My dog had to cower on the sofa.

Maybe my connection got a bit of water in it somewhere. I was monitoring my modem @ 192.168.1.1 and it started connecting at 6000 kbps for a few seconds, then would disconnect and eventually went back to its normal 17918 w00t.gif

:D

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Strange weather - a heavy rain shower right now here in Kata.

Yep. It's been pouring here in Rawai for a while now. Dry season, huh... It's nice though not to have to turn on the sprinkler and it's much cooler than it was before it started to rain!

Indeed, much cooler and I love it! Well the rain managed to spoil my intended idea to take photos of Phuket town, but living here is always an compromise.

Strange weather - a heavy rain shower right now here in Kata.

Yep. It's been pouring here in Rawai for a while now. Dry season, huh... It's nice though not to have to turn on the sprinkler and it's much cooler than it was before it started to rain!

Did a night dive on Kata beach at this time last night. The lighting storm viewed from underwater was impressive, but I kept thinking one of the other divers was trying to signal me with their torch.

• 2 weeks later...

The rain should be on West coast by now if it was not stopped by the mountains. Good 20 minutes of rain and the sky is getting clearer now.

Temperature dropped to 25C, which is nice.

Difference between tourists and residents is that residents wish to get rain and look for shadows when walking on the streets.

Typical dry season weather, its thunderstorms it can rain heavily half a kilometer away and be bone dry where we live

We shifted to rawai 2 years ago this march and have had a lot less rain this year, had to top up the pool a lot more often

We had one decent rain shower in January and it looks like it might rain tonight with a bit of luck

• 1 month later...

Just plain dry now. Dry, dry, dry. The 3-4 lakes near us are at least 1 meter down, and the big water trucks from everywhere keep filling up. At least 3, sometime 6-7and 24/7. If they keep it up, everything in there, will be dry and dead within a week.sad.png

Just plain dry now. Dry, dry, dry. The 3-4 lakes near us are at least 1 meter down, and the big water trucks from everywhere keep filling up. At least 3, sometime 6-7and 24/7. If they keep it up, everything in there, will be dry and dead within a week.sad.png

It's called the dry season for a good reason. We had some thunder and lightning here in Rawai last night, but not a drop of rain. Good thing my house is on the aquifer and we have always have had plenty of water even in the driest years. My well is still less than two meters from the top. I know that does help people who live higher up or in a lot of areas that were never built on because of the lack of year round water, probably for that reason. Once again poor planning, infrastructure development and greed on the part of the local"government."

Just today I phoned for a tanker of water in Patong. Owner of the truck apologised and told me he cannot find anywhere to fill his truck with water. He's a nice guy, bought the tanker a couple of months ago on a bank loan and has to make the repayments. Now he cannot delivery water and make money. Now I cannot service my guests water requirements. I have a government water line (that I paid to install) but no water for about 4 months now.

Just today I phoned for a tanker of water in Patong. Owner of the truck apologised and told me he cannot find anywhere to fill his truck with water. He's a nice guy, bought the tanker a couple of months ago on a bank loan and has to make the repayments. Now he cannot delivery water and make money. Now I cannot service my guests water requirements. I have a government water line (that I paid to install) but no water for about 4 months now.

The government got you to pay for the water hookup, they never said there would be water year round though, or did they? No infrastructure development has been invested in by the government while they just keep letting over development take place... Pretty sad state of affairs, IMHO.

Our side of the island water trucks are still running.

Has anyone visited the water reservoirs lately? What is the water level there?

If you run fully out of water, PM to me and I can give contact information for my local water company, which have water source and own delivery trucks.

This part of the island have some hills and less development, which hopefully means that we still have more than enough water.

Maybe some southern Phuket water delivery truck owner could make an deal to get water from there. It would probably be more expensive, but better than not have any water at all.

The water trucks are still running in Rawai. Also Happy Crystal Ice Company is a few blocks away. I really doubt they will run out of water nor will I... But I kind of doubt the guy here with his rather antique water tanker would venture as far as Patong and I've never seen the locals allow outside trucks to fill up around here.

Edited by Jimi007

That's good to hear. We'll still have a month to go, until the rain season starts. When it starts I suppose there will be week or two before the soil is moist enough to let the rain water go through to the ground water?

That's good to hear. We'll still have a month to go, until the rain season starts. When it starts I suppose there will be week or two before the soil is moist enough to let the rain water go through to the ground water?

That would depend on the area. Around my area once you dig down a ways it's fairly sandy soil and the water soaks up quickly, until it's saturated. Then the cobras come to visit!

Here the local knowledge says that cobras come down from the hill to drink during the dry season.

I have not really seen any cobras lately. Not that I would be missing them :)