Chemo Question

prodriver

When I was diagnosed with rectal cancer 7 year's ago, chemotherapy was part of my treatment. Recently it has been discovered that the cancer has metastasized to my lungs. As it is in both lungs, surgery has been ruled out and I'm to undergo chemotherapy.

When I saw an Oncologist ealier this week she needed to know the dosage, regime and drugs used before. I have not been back to the hospital that administered the chemotharapy and they informed me that they only keep (dormant) files for 5 years. I will therefore not be able to supply the information that the Oncologist requires when I see her next week.

My question is, will this be a major problem or just a minor hiccup? I get the impression that it is a factor in deciding the drugs to use this time.

Prodriver

I am indeed sorry to learn about the recurrence of your illness.

Your Oncologist , in planning your treatment, would find it helpful to be aware of your previous treatment history.

I wonder if there is a possibility of your previous Consultant Surgeon or Oncologist having written to another Dr. detailing your treatment. I am thinking of someone like a Primary Care Physician/General Practitioner who may have retained your records.

If you fail to discover any relevant records do not despair !

Your Oncologist, using her skill and having knowledge of what treatments were commonly used 5 years ago, will still be able to plan for you to receive appropriate care.

Best Wishes

John

Many thanks John.

The treatment for my initial cancer was all done at Siriraj except for the chemotherapy which was carried out at Thonburi Hospital. To compound the problem the chemotherapist, Dr Pirot has since retired. I am actually in possession of my file from Siriraj (no need to bore you with why that happened) and there is no helpful infomation in it regarding the chemotherapy treatment.

Anyway, your reply has eased my mind somewhat and it appears that all is not lost.