Tropical Storm Gaemi To Cover Wider Area In Thailand

webfact

TROPICAL STORM WARNING

Gaemi to cover wider area

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tropical Storm Gaemi has changed its course on its way to Thailand is now going further south, which will result in heavier rain, especially in the upper Southern region, Royol Jindon, who is involved in overall flood and water management operations, said yesterday.

He explained that the volume of rain could hit 100 millimetres per hour in the upper South, which lies at a junction of the main thorough-fare to the entire region and hence cause massive traffic congestion in case of flooding. The storm's change of course means that more areas will be affected, he added.

Heavy rain is expected in at least 60 per cent of the storm's path in the lower North, lower Central and upper Southern regions.

Subsequent storms can be expected if Gaemi's eye reaches its maximum potential in the Gulf of Thailand, he said.

Thai authorities will confirm the change in Gaemi's course tomorrow, even though several meteorological reports from international sources have suggested its change.

Flood relief and operations centres have been set up in the 30 provinces most vulnerable to heavy flooding after the Department of Disaster Prevention and Litigation held a teleconfer-ence with the provincial governors. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed these governors to be available round the clock.

Meanwhile, the Meteoro-logical Department said Gaemi would possibly have an influence on Thailand when it reached Vietnam tomorrow evening, though it might weaken along the way.

The flooding situation in Bangkok, especially in the west, has to be assessed on a day-to-day basis if the volume of rain exceeds the level of 60mm per hour, a senior Bangkok Metropolitan Administration official said.

The BMA's medical emer-gency and relief services have been ordered be on 24-hour standby.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-06

Warning: "Tropical Cyclone “GAEMI”"

No. 20 (293/2555) Time Issued : October 06, 2012

At 01.00 LST, on 6 October, tropical storm “GAEMI” in the middle South China Sea was centered about 450 km east of Da Nang, Vietnam, or at latitude 14.0 °N and 113.0 °E, with maximum sustained wind about 80 km./hr. It was moving west with speed about 20 km/hr.

Strengthen, it will make landfall over central Vietnam by 6 October, then downgrade and move pass the lower Northeast, the East and the Central of Thailand. These cause torrential rain with heavy to very heavy rain in many areas and windy over the Northeast (Amnat Charoen, Ubon Ratchathani, Si Sa Ket, Surin, Buri Ram and. Nakhon Ratchasima) and the East (Sa Kaeo, Prachin Buri) for the first place following the Central and the lower North during 6-8 October. People in the risk areas should beware of the severe weather.

The stronger southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf of Thailand. More rain is likely in the South west coast of the country and the stronger wind waves are expected 2-3 meters high in the upper Gulf and the Andaman Sea. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore during 7-9 October.

The monsoon trough covers the central and the east to tropical storm “GAEMI”.

The advisory will be effect on 6 October 2012.

Issued at 05.30 a.m.

-- http://www.tmd.go.th/en/ 2012-10-06

NW Pacific: Storm Alert issued at 6 Oct, 2012 0:00 GMT

Tropical Storm GAEMI (21W) currently located near 13.5 N 111.6 E is forecast to strike land to the following likelihood(s) at the given lead time(s):

Yellow Alert Country(s) or Province(s)

Vietnam

probability for TS is 75% within 12 hours

Yellow Alert City(s) and Town(s)

Qui Nhon (13.8 N, 109.2 E)

Tuy Hoa (13.1 N, 109.3 E)

Nha Trang (12.2 N, 109.2 E)

probability for TS is 65% within 12 hours

-- tropicalstormrisk.com

Here is an useful link showing multiple forecasts from different agencies..

http://wind.mit.edu/...nuel/storm.html

good link Kotsak, thx ... looks like Phuket getting the full load.... hope not, have to drive to Ranong soon...

BTW, Thai TV just said tomorrow and day after tomorrow, so 7+8 of Oct.

temp1t.png

Edited by moskito
  • Like 1

Here is an useful link showing multiple forecasts from different agencies..

http://wind.mit.edu/...nuel/storm.html

good link Kotsak, thx ... looks like Phuket getting the full load.... hope not, have to drive to Ranong soon...

BTW, Thai TV just said tomorrow and day after tomorrow, so 7+8 of Oct.

temp1t.png

I think your map-reading may be a little out. They are all tracking well north of Phuket though I really don't understand the GFNI forecast (the red one).

temp1t.png

I think your map-reading may be a little out. They are all tracking well north of Phuket though I really don't understand the GFNI forecast (the red one).

The odd one is the AFWI tracking. Red, but with diamonds, not circles.

temp1t.png

You're right. That's a really weird prediction. Maybe they are expecting the monsoon to change overnight.

Water agency urges public to monitor advice from local authorities for storm Gaemi

image_20121006113642345C68C6-F0FA-C89F-78050C2C192B26B9.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 6 -- The Water and Flood Management Commission urged public to listen and monitor advice from local authorities for storm Gaemi, as different areas have different responses to handle the situation.

On the weekly TV and radio programme "Yingluck's Government Meets People," the chairman of the Water and Flood Management Commission's sub-committee on water situation analysis Royal Chitradon, said that the storm Gaemi was expected to make landfall in Thailand on October 8-9 which would causing heavy downpours in Rayong, Chantaburi, Chon Buri, and Bangkok.

The storm wound intensify as it moved to the Gulf of Thailand causing heavy rainfall in Phetchaburi and Ratchaburi during October 8-10, he said.

As for the response plan for Bangkok, Mr Royal--who is also the Hydro-Agro Informatics Institute chief--said a joint operation centre was set up to monitor the situation in Bangkok.

Water-pushing boats have been placed in major canals and water pumps also installed to drain water into canals on the west and east sides of the capital, he said, adding that the drainage of water in Bangkok is being carried out more effectively.

He believed authorities could control the situation in Bangkok.

National Disaster Warning Centre director Group Capt Somsak Khaosuwan said the public has been informed to be alerted and authorities were ready to respond to the situation while the armed forces were also prepared to support the government.

He urged the public to pay attention to warnings and recommendations from local agencies as each location would have different response plans. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-06

We were planning to land in Thailand on October 8. Does this mean we have to change our schedule or will the storm weaken on Monday?

How long are you planning to stay in Thailand? Where are you planning to be in the first couple of days?

Overall, I'd say that you may be inconvenienced for a day, but it's not like it's a hurricane or anything, just some heavy rain.

We were planning to land in Thailand on October 8. Does this mean we have to change our schedule or will the storm weaken on Monday?

How long are you planning to stay in Thailand? Where are you planning to be in the first couple of days?

Overall, I'd say that you may be inconvenienced for a day, but it's not like it's a hurricane or anything, just some heavy rain.

2 weeks. first two days in bk and then in phuket.

temp1t.png

check it in a hour again, the map is changing....sometimes it shows the storm goin to Malaysia....and I heard property in Chiang mai is rising :) ...ohhh i am the second here....must be true then :)