Thailand's Rice Policy Meets Aim Of Raising Prices For Farmers: Minister

webfact

Rice policy meets aim of raising prices for farmers

Thaksin been in rice farming long then has he?

Posters here show a limited understanding of the rice scheme and how to Benefit

So they pull the thread in the usual direction of slating Thaksin, a topic where they are practiced and word perfect....again....

How many of the farmers who plead no benefit are doing business with the Bank of Agriculture, as opposed to the 'middlemen' and why do you suppose that is?

What you appear not to understand is that the PTP rice scheme is Thaksin's. There are different ways of befefitting rice farmers but Thaksin's is the one most open to corruption, as is usual with his 'ideas'. The PTP supporters benefitting from the scheme have to be 'compensated' at the expense of taxpayers & many farmers who are at the mercy of millers.

Even Virabongsa, a PTP party advisor, has said that the scheme will bankrupt the country. Not to mention that the country has lost its way in international rice trading.

Empty words...Thaksin, Thaksin, Thaksin.......Have you read treaty of Rome? Do you understand the significance of rural regeneration to slow the exodus to the cities? We even have clowns on here intimating the price of rice has risen for the poor......strange concept as most of them are struggling along growing their own!

Thank you for your concise & informative criticism. The real clown is one not knowing that the poor consista of many more than rice farmers. You may not realise it but places like Klong Toey have a huge community of poor people who are unable to grow rice.

I think you are just trolling.

To assist your future understanding, please evaluate the usage of "most of them" in a sentence......I'll give you a hint... it does not mean.... all. Your comment also accentuates my mention of the migration to the city, it does not end well for all, and should be discouraged by assistance to the rural comunities. Do you agree or has your mind not yet managed to encompass the broader picture?

Edited by 473geo

473geo:

To assist your future understanding, please evaluate the usage of "most of them" in a sentence......I'll give you a hint... it does not mean.... all. Your comment also accentuates my mention of the migration to the city, it does not end well for all, and shoud be discourged by assistance to the rural comunities. Do you agree or has your mind not yet managed to encompass the broader picture?

When you make silly comments like 'we have clowns here....for the poor', don't be surprised if you are tripped up by such sweeping statements. The topic is nothing to do with urban vs rural movements.

The broader picture is that, yes, poor farmers need help but the current scheme is definitely not the best way to provide that help. You seem to have difficulty even discussing that, let alone understanding it. The scheme has been taken apart by many people in Thailand (including Virabongsa) and the subsidies involved are staggering & unsustainable.

Is that too difficult for you to understand?

473geo:

To assist your future understanding, please evaluate the usage of "most of them" in a sentence......I'll give you a hint... it does not mean.... all. Your comment also accentuates my mention of the migration to the city, it does not end well for all, and shoud be discourged by assistance to the rural comunities. Do you agree or has your mind not yet managed to encompass the broader picture?

When you make silly comments like 'we have clowns here....for the poor', don't be surprised if you are tripped up by such sweeping statements. The topic is nothing to do with urban vs rural movements.

The broader picture is that, yes, poor farmers need help but the current scheme is definitely not the best way to provide that help. You seem to have difficulty even discussing that, let alone understanding it. The scheme has been taken apart by many people in Thailand (including Virabongsa) and the subsidies involved are staggering & unsustainable.

Oh dear, the economic climate and subsidising of rice price in the rural areas has nothing to do with the rural migration to the cities in search of employment.........I'll keep that discussion for one with lateral thought and vision then.

It may well be the subsidies are unsustainable, but for now they are there, and welcome for many.

Don't suppose the increase in revenue from rice is lifting the price of pulp wood do you? Just a thought

Just one more thing, do you see the higher rice price in Thailand being an assett or a handicap when the AEC 2015 economic integration takes place.......or has Mr Virabongsa not yet forwarded his thoughts on this particular topic?

473geo:

Oh dear, the economic climate and subsidising of rice price in the rural areas has nothing to do with the rural migration to the cities in search of employment.........I'll keep that discussion for one with lateral thought and vision then.

It may well be the subsidies are unsustainable, but for now they are there, and welcome for many.

Don't suppose the increase in revenue from rice is lifting the price of pulp wood do you? Just a thought

Actually you can keep your migration for a topic that specifically discusses it. If you want lateral thought & vision, you first need a topic that you understand, which you clearly don't. Or do you think that just any old rice subsidisation scheme is good enough when it's mooted by a party you support?

We can discuss under water rice or GMO rice or why Thailand's rice output is so poor compared to some of it's neighbours. I don't claim to be an expert in these topics but they are a lot more germaine to the subject than migration or wood pulp (more trolling).

No doubt some farmers - both rich & poor - like the PTP scheme, but the middle-men like it even more as they have control over the small farmers. They are the ones who have the greatest opportunity for corruption & this scheme gives it to them, knowingly. My sympathies for your lack of open-mindness.

• Like 1

Just one more thing, do you see the higher rice price in Thailand being an assett or a handicap when the AEC 2015 economic integration takes place.......or has Mr Virabongsa not yet forwarded his thoughts on this particular topic?

Can't answer for Vira - why don't you ask him? I think it will be a definite handicap if Thailand's price is higher - rather a no-brainer. It certainly is a handicap currently as far as selling rice internationally - the commerce minister is all smoke & mirrors about it. In any case rice will very likely be a protected product under the AEC.

You see Khunken, you need to make up your mind

Are you making a political statement?

Is the scheme unsustainable?

Is the sceme necessary and could be implemented more successfully should the corruption be removed

Is there an alternative available to generate the correct alignment of funding to the required rural areas

Please don't advocate the fertiliser subsidy promoted by the previous government which increased profits for the manufacturers but saw no profit increase for the farmers!

I note you did not address my comment about dealing direct with the bank, cuts out the corruption

You see throwing words around like unsustainable, and corruption, enhanced by reading a little on the thread about taller rice specimens and underwater rice, does not quite cut it with me, your appreciation is too shallow

See ya......

P.S as for your comment on the Asean influence, I think the higher price will be an assett, a good bargaining tool....sometimes you got a give a little..to get a little...but you must create the ability to do so if necessary

Edited by 473geo

You see Khunken, you need to make up your mind

Are you making a political statement?

Is the scheme unsustainable?

Is the sceme necessary and could be implemented more successfully should the corruption be removed

Is there an alternative available to generate the correct alignment of funding to the required rural areas

Please don't advocate the fertiliser subsidy promoted by the previous government which increased profits for the manufacturers but saw no profit increase for the farmers!

I note you did not address my comment about dealing direct with the bank, cuts out the corruption

You see throwing words around like unsustainable, and corruption, enhanced by reading a little on the thread about taller rice specimens and underwater rice, does not quite cut it with me, your appreciation is too shallow

See ya......

P.S as for your comment on the Asean influence, I think the higher price will be an assett, a good bargaining tool....sometimes you got a give a little..to get a little...but you must create the ability to do so if necessary

OK to finish - I don't give a hoot what cuts it with you. Questions, questions, but no answers. Your appreciation is not just shallow but only attempted distraction into other distant & unrelated topics. Evasion is the name of the game when asked to discuss a government-run, corrupt, unsustainable, rice subsidisation scheme. I was wondering when the 'but the dems...' would emerge. It always does when PTP is under fire.

I'm off to watch some footy.