Thailand's Rice Policy Meets Aim Of Raising Prices For Farmers: Minister

webfact

Rice policy meets aim of raising prices for farmers: minister

Pranee Muenphangwaree,

Suphannee Pootpisut

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The government yesterday said it would proceed with its policy of subsidising rice crops, insisting that it had succeeded in pushing up prices.

However, the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) said the government was still in arrears to the bank over the rice-pledging programme to the tune of Bt100 billion.

Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyaphirom said the government would conduct more stringent inspections to address corruption complaints.

However, he said, "The government has no need to revise the policy and reduce the high subsidy rates, which push up prices."

He accepted that corruption was a possibility, as there are 100 rice mills in the programme with more than a million farmers involved.

In addition, the government will cooperate more closely with the Customs Department and Finance Ministry to prevent rice from neighbouring countries entering the programme, he said.

As of Wednesday, 14.52 million tonnes of second-crop rice had entered the programme.

BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said the government was still in arrears to the bank because of the price-pledging programme, but would gradually pay off the debt.

The government paid the bank Bt30 billion last year and expects to pay Bt49 billion this year.

State bank BAAC finances the government's rice-pledging scheme. The bank has borrowed Bt269 billion to finance the pledging policy for the 2012-13 harvest season, which started this month.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-06

DJ UPDATE: Thailand Turns to Vietnam, Cambodia to Fill Rice-Supply Gap

Thailand imports significant volumes of rice from Vietnam for first time

–Thai imports from Cambodia reach 200,000 tons a month

–Thai government purchase program creates artificial domestic shortage

–Imported rice ending up in Thai stockpiles, exports, industry executives say

(Adds comments from industry executives, government official, implications of continued government purchases)

http://mnews.thegktrade.com/countries/dj-update-thailand-turns-to-vietnam-cambodia-to-fill-rice-supply-gap

Yay! Hundreds of billions in debt and higher food prices for all!

As the election slogan pointed out in the last Campaign " Taksin Thinks PT Does." This is what the people voted for - A moron doing the thinking for them - so let them have it. No sympathy for any of them, they have no one to blame but themselves. At least some of their kids got a crappy PC tablet, so it can't all be bad can it?

• Like 2

"He accepted that corruption was a possibility, as there are 100 rice mills in the programme with more than a million farmers involved".

​Both the number of rice mills (100) and the number of farmers (1,000,000) are irrelevant to the point being made on corruption. A more appropriate variable would be the number of government officials involved....!!

"BANGKOK: -- The government yesterday said it would proceed with its policy of subsidising rice crops, insisting that it had succeeded in pushing up prices."

To such an extent that competing nations are ecstatic they have replaced Thailand as the top rice exporter.

• Like 1

"He accepted that corruption was a possibility, as there are 100 rice mills in the programme with more than a million farmers involved".

​Both the number of rice mills (100) and the number of farmers (1,000,000) are irrelevant to the point being made on corruption. A more appropriate variable would be the number of government officials involved....!!

Yeah I also loved this quote. The more in the game the more they can skim. Stupid, really stupid.

"BANGKOK: -- The government yesterday said it would proceed with its policy of subsidising rice crops, insisting that it had succeeded in pushing up prices."

To such an extent that competing nations are ecstatic they have replaced Thailand as the top rice exporter.

Mosha, your right... Traders i deal with only take Thai rice if it is the absolute last resort. Price is FAR higher then international market prices.

Then when you do call the traders since you have a buyer (that can't get what they need somewhere else) and want the prices, they tack on ridiculous commissions which kills the deal.

Last quote I got on pre-packaged 1kg consumer sized bags was exactly double the other prices I received from China and Vietnam.

The government paid the bank Bt30 billion last year and expects to pay Bt49 billion this year.

State bank BAAC finances the government's rice-pledging scheme. The bank has borrowed Bt269 billion to finance the pledging policy for the 2012-13 harvest season, which started this month.

Seriously ....

The government is paying back a loan at either ฿ิ30b or ฿49b a year and expects to pay the loan back when they are borrowing at ฿269b per year and probably as it is a subsidy losing on sell from the buy price. Has someone taught these idiots basic maths?

As the election slogan pointed out in the last Campaign " Taksin Thinks PT Does." This is what the people voted for - A moron doing the thinking for them - so let them have it. No sympathy for any of them, they have no one to blame but themselves. At least some of their kids got a crappy PC tablet, so it can't all be bad can it?

I must first point out that I'm not a fan of Mr. Shinawatra but I have a question for you.

If Thaksin Shinawatra is a moron, how did he become such a successful business man before becoming prime minister?

• Like 1

I must first point out that I'm not a fan of Mr. Shinawatra but I have a question for you.

If Thaksin Shinawatra is a moron, how did he become such a successful business man before becoming prime minister?

By being given a monopoly. First in IBM computers and then in telecoms.

Anyone can make money if competition is stamped on.

Seriously ....

The government is paying back a loan at either ฿ิ30b or ฿49b a year and expects to pay the loan back when they are borrowing at ฿269b per year and probably as it is a subsidy losing on sell from the buy price. Has someone taught these idiots basic maths?

Roadman,

Thats not anything new to Thailand or any other country for that matter....

Campaign: "We paid the federal debt down 800 million for the fiscal year"

Announcement: "This years budget deficit only 15.3 billion"

Owning a private protected monopoly helps.

Owning a private protected monopoly helps.

As do witnesses against your corrupt practices that just happen to get murdered.

Samjaidee post # 14

Nepotism and corruption plus rivals were sidelined in various ways.

I will expand on others' reply to this. After corruptly being "given" (I'm sure there was subsequent pay-offs) a mobile phone monopoly, Thaksin used inflated pricing and charges to steal billions of dollars/baht from the Thai people. Being the only operator in the fastest expanding industry in the world is a licence to print money, and yes, even a moron who had failed repeatedly before even when assisted by corruption from his father-in-law (police computer deal) and Chalerm (cable TV licence) could hardly blow a deal that sweet.

BTW ask yourself what is the price of a mobile phone operator's licence here, then work out how many times you have to multiply that value for a monopoly.

I will expand on others' reply to this. After corruptly being "given" (I'm sure there was subsequent pay-offs) a mobile phone monopoly, Thaksin used inflated pricing and charges to steal billions of dollars/baht from the Thai people. Being the only operator in the fastest expanding industry in the world is a licence to print money, and yes, even a moron who had failed repeatedly before even when assisted by corruption from his father-in-law (police computer deal) and Chalerm (cable TV licence) could hardly blow a deal that sweet.

BTW ask yourself what is the price of a mobile phone operator's licence here, then work out how many times you have to multiply that value for a monopoly.

In the day, 1500 usd for a basic phone. Oh the wonderful days of yore. Wasn't Sondhi involved importing the phones or something also?

There are many ways to become a successful businessman.

Edited by bigbamboo

Rice policy meets aim of raising prices for farmers

Thaksin been in rice farming long then has he?

Posters here show a limited understanding of the rice scheme and how to Benefit

So they pull the thread in the usual direction of slating Thaksin, a topic where they are practiced and word perfect....again....

How many of the farmers who plead no benefit are doing business with the Bank of Agriculture, as opposed to the 'middlemen' and why do you suppose that is?

So they pull the thread in the usual direction of slating Thaksin, a topic where they are practiced and word perfect....again....

How many of the farmers who plead no benefit are doing business with the Bank of Agriculture, as opposed to the 'middlemen' and why do you suppose that is?

I'm not sure how much has been spent on the rice pledging scheme, say 200 billion baht (200,000,000,000) if Thailand has say 1 million farmers that works out at 200'000 baht per farmer. Surely its cheaper to give them

What you appear not to understand is that the PTP rice scheme is Thaksin's. There are different ways of befefitting rice farmers but Thaksin's is the one most open to corruption, as is usual with his 'ideas'. The PTP supporters benefitting from the scheme have to be 'compensated' at the expense of taxpayers & many farmers who are at the mercy of millers.

Even Virabongsa, a PTP party advisor, has said that the scheme will bankrupt the country. Not to mention that the country has lost its way in international rice trading.

What you appear not to understand is that the PTP rice scheme is Thaksin's. There are different ways of befefitting rice farmers but Thaksin's is the one most open to corruption, as is usual with his 'ideas'. The PTP supporters benefitting from the scheme have to be 'compensated' at the expense of taxpayers & many farmers who are at the mercy of millers.

Even Virabongsa, a PTP party advisor, has said that the scheme will bankrupt the country. Not to mention that the country has lost its way in international rice trading.

Empty words...Thaksin, Thaksin, Thaksin.......Have you read treaty of Rome? Do you understand the significance of rural regeneration to slow the exodus to the cities? We even have clowns on here intimating the price of rice has risen for the poor......strange concept as most of them are struggling along growing their own!

Edited by 473geo