Suit? No Suit?

loofa

I have an interview next week at an international school and am wondering if I should wear the suit that I brought from the other side of the world? A Thai acquaintance advised that because of the climate, most Thais would simply wear a nice dress shirt, tie, slacks etc., but not a full suit. Does it show my level of commitment and professionalism to wear a suit? Or would it appear over eager?

Smart shirt short or long sleeve according to your preference, a decent necktie, nicely pressed trousers and clean well polished shoes.That's the way I dress for teaching .Smart comfortable,no need to power dress.

Select the clothes that you feel comfortable in and you'll be fine.

Good luck with the interview.

• Like 1

Trousers, nice long sleeved shirt and a nice tie, good looking shoes and the jobs should be yours.

I said long sleeved, just in case you have tattoos on the lower arms or too much hair, long sleeves hide a multitude of things.

My advice is still to wear a suit jacket to the interview. In fact at my international school we have to wear suit jackets on formal occasions such as parents' evenings. On normal teaching days nobody wears a jacket.

I never wear a suit or jacket except for special occasions. I interview a lot of people, and I will tell you that it is not a wise idea to out-dress the interviewer. If you are comfortable wearing a suit, then feel free to wear one--some people wear a suit well and feel comfortable and at home in one--if that's you, then feel free to wear one. If you feel like you are being suited up for a mission to Mars, then it's best not to wear one.

If you wear a suit, I strongly recommend that you either carry the jacket or be ready to take it off, if you find yourself overdressed or uncomfortable because of the heat etc.

When I interview someone, I want to be impressed with him, his knowledge and ability to teach. I don't want to really 'notice' what he is wearing.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Absolutely correct. The comments were solely my own and not meant to speak on behalf of anyone else.

Now, since you brought up Thai administrative staff. I will tell you what they don't like. I've never heard them comment on whether a person was wearing a suit or blazer--which is a good sign, since they don't usually comment unless it is negative.

They do not like bright colors, for what it is worth--and that I've heard them comment about. No idea why, but have heard it from more than one person--although none of it was mentioned in conjunction with an interview.

I don't know the expectations of international schools. However I would concur with other posters that a suit minus the jacket should be appropriate. To me, a jacket seems overkill - perhaps just carry it with you as someone else suggested. Long sleeves are best for the interview but in this climate I normally use short sleeved shirts for teaching. The jacket may be required for formal events - speech nights, formal dinners, etc. I doubt any teacher here would be required to wear a jacket to class - the only one we had was a crackpot !

Scarecrow1.jpg

Well done and congratulations on the new post,. Thanks for letting us know how you got on good manners always show through.We told you, ''dress smart no suit,'', we old farts who've been here a moon or thousand know the drill, we conduct interviews.Good luck for the future.

Congratulations on securing the job. Just like to add that when I went for my interview at harrow international school here in bangkok all the candidates i saw wore suits as did the head of department who was interviewing.

For an interview? Wear a full suit; it shows respect for the person who is interviewing you.

To stay comfortable, carry the jacket and put it on at the last minute and of course take it off if the interviewer invites you to.

Good luck :-)

• 3 weeks later...

If I was hiring, this stuff would be a big deal. Number one would be my impression of the way the candidate speaks, but I would be looking at every facet of his outfit down to the watch looking for professionalism. G-shocks don't cut it by the way. I still say the jacket isn't necessary, but I think its an ok idea... just hard to know if it will be more of a benefit than a hindrance in that you may have to kind of juggle it as it is too hot to wear while walking.

An interview is one thing but I have always found it amusing wearing a suit to teach a conversational english class. My suits even though made in Thailand are = to about half months of my would be wages.

When I see English teachers in suits, on public transport I smirk. Siuted fellows going to jobs paying 20k a month.

Of course, if you work at a big legit private school and that is required of all staff, that is different.

Seems like only people in bkk that wear suits are English teachers.

Nothing to do with teaching.....

Needed a Suit yesterday, last week Monday went and was measured up. [nothing in most parts of the world would fit me Off the Peg since i was 14 years old] well in UK was a place called large and Tall or something like that.

This Monday picked it up, Made to measure and fitted a treat, total cost 2,000 baht........... wow last year went South because of the floods, in Kata most shops wanted 2,000 baht just for a pair of shorts.!!