Lost The Plot - Have A Point - How Would You Cope ?

CharlieH

Utrinque Paratus.

If the world ended and I were in Thailand, I'd head for dense jungle regions.

If I were in the UK, I'd head for the Highlands.

I still have stuff packed and ready to go, it's a tough habit to break.

If the world was ending the roads would be one huge traffic jam wherever you live, so plan on walking the hundreds of kilometres to the highlands or jungle, along with thousands of others, so take a big packed lunch.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what would be the general attitude toward non-Thai's if the social fabric did start to decay due to a food shortage,

Would it become us and them ? would there be a clear racial divide and attitude and one not necessarily positive ?

Would "ferangs" become targets because they would generally be considered to have more ?

I believe they eat Farangs in Isaan,I've seen a few girls licking their lips and looking at me in Udon Thani!w00t.gif

It's the tomato sauce on your chin. laugh.png

Utrinque Paratus.

Is it really possible that someone is better off homeless and adrift than to stay put with at least a year's worth of food and water on hand? Is it really easier to defend yourself and what you (don't) have while adrift in a sea of refugees than it is in your own home? Is it really easier to live without a roof over your head?

In the US we are divided almost equally between what we call liberals and conservatives. Conservatives tend to be well armed and independent. Liberals tend to hate guns and look to the government to protect them. In a crisis there isn't enough government to protect everyone. The land mass is huge.

This leaves me with a simple strategy. If starving, I simply defend my home and eat the liberals. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.giflaugh.pnglaugh.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

2. Peak oil. The US has more untapped oil reserves on its soil and just offshore than all of the rest of the countries in the world combined. Yet the tree huggers won't let us drill for it. By the time oil and natural gas are truly in short supply (100 years) science will have had time to develop alternatives.

There is more gold in sea water than has even been mined to date by mankind....but is doesnt make it ecomomical/technically feasible to extract it....same with with the "untapped" oil reserves you are taking about, these are oil shale, oil sands etc...little bit more to it than drilling a hole in the ground...if its costing you $120 to produce a 100$ barrel of oil, hardly viable is it ?

Currently the biggest reserves of economically viable extractable oil reserves are in Ghana, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Iraq (suprise suprise), Brazil and Venezuela

And believe your comment referring to "the rest of the world" actually refers to OPEC countries not the rest of the world

2. Peak oil. The US has more untapped oil reserves on its soil and just offshore than all of the rest of the countries in the world combined. Yet the tree huggers won't let us drill for it. By the time oil and natural gas are truly in short supply (100 years) science will have had time to develop alternatives.

There is more gold in sea water than has even been mined to date by mankind....but is doesnt make it ecomomical/technically feasible to extract it....same with with the "untapped" oil reserves you are taking about, these are oil shale, oil sands etc...little bit more to it than drilling a hole in the ground...if its costing you $120 to produce a 100$ barrel of oil, hardly viable is it ?

Currently the biggest reserves of economically viable extractable oil reserves are in Ghana, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Iraq (suprise suprise), Brazil and Venezuela

And believe your comment referring to "the rest of the world" actually refers to OPEC countries not the rest of the world

Not so. Are you forgetting Alaska which they won't let us touch? Brazil's oil boom is offshore but the US has far more free oil offshore than any other country.

There is a current oil boom in N. Dakota US and it is making their economy boom. That's because the oil fields are on private land, and the permits were issued before we got the current administration.

The problem with the US is that most of the oil is on governement owned or controlled land and they won't allow drilling.

When you look at world maps of oil reserves, they list only proven reserves, meaning they are drilled. We know we have oil where we can't drill. We have gobs of it offshore both on the E. and W. coasts and in the Gulf of Mexico but we can't drill. We already have a huge tapped surplus of natural gas in the pipelines but not enough is used.

The #1 supplier of oil to the US is Canada, not the middle east. #2 is Mexico. China has a deal with Cuba and is drilling off its shores in the same general area we can't drill due to policy.

One more time. The US has more viable oil and gas reserves than all of the other countries in the world combined.

I am a survivalist, I came her to escape 'Peak Oil'.

When the end comes, I will be happy and safe on my Thai farm, with my Thai family.

We don't need fuel to make our crops grow, all done by hand in the traditional way.

Floods are a regular part of life in a tropical country, not really a problem to villagers.

You don't NEED Internet and Tv to survive happily. Although I would miss ThaiVisa.

And your 14 posts a day? 555

• Like 1

In a "end of the world" scenario, I'd hate to be an old man with a young wife.

Young women are an asset, old men are a liability. And I don't think the amount of the retirement pension will matter anymore.

Young wives are tasty if cooked properly.

Utrinque Paratus.

If the world was ending the roads would be one huge traffic jam wherever you live, so plan on walking the hundreds of kilometres to the highlands or jungle, along with thousands of others, so take a big packed lunch.

That is the regimental motto of the Parachute Regiment. They have been know to go for a few long walks in far-away places..........wink.png

Assuming he served in them and is not just quoting, he should be OK.

Edited by chrisinth

Utrinque Paratus.

If the world ended and I was in Thailand, I'd head for dense jungle regions.

Utrinque Paratus

"Improvise, adapt and overcome" (Improvidus Apto quod Victum) springs to mind when I read that.................wink.png

You know the drill ;)

And let's not forget: you can plan for A, you can plan for B but C will probably happen.

Young women are an asset, old men are a liability. And I don't think the amount of the retirement pension will matter anymore.

You better have something else going for you besides being young as well. Ever see what happens in the animal kingdom? The strongest takes ALL the wives. How are you going to make out?

That's why I live out in the sticks......world war 4 could happen and I wouldn't know about it, or care......if I was vapourised, once again I wouldn't know about it.

That is what religion is based on.......unfounded fear.

The same goes for this thread.......wake-up people, the earth has been here longer than any of us, and it goes through cycles just like a women, so don't mess with it, otherwise you too will feel the wrath of something or someone who has a been scorned....and we all know the outcome of that.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.....today is where we are, right here and now......enjoy.

• Like 2

That's why I live out in the sticks......world war 4 could happen and I wouldn't know about it, or care......if I was vapourised, once again I wouldn't know about it.

That is what religion is based on.......unfounded fear.

The same goes for this thread.......wake-up people, the earth has been here longer than any of us, and it goes through cycles just like a women, so don't mess with it, otherwise you too will feel the wrath of something or someone who has a been scorned....and we all know the outcome of that.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.....today is where we are, right here and now......enjoy.

At last! A liferaft of sanity in an ocean of cr@p.

• Like 2

Utrinque Paratus.

That is the regimental motto of the Parachute Regiment. They have been know to go for a few long walks in far-away places..........wink.png

So 'take a big packed lunch' is the motto of The Paratroop Regiment,is it?

News to me,'as long as you don't take it,you're ok',was the motto I know from The Paras!

Utrinque Paratus.

So 'take a big packed lunch' is the motto of The Paratroop Regiment,is it?

News to me,'as long as you don't take it,you're ok',was the motto I know from The Paras!

"The only things that drop out of the sky are rain, snow and bird shit...oh, and better men than you."

:)

When the end comes, I will be happy and safe on my Thai farm, with my Thai family.

We don't need fuel to make our crops grow, all done by hand in the traditional way.

Floods are a regular part of life in a tropical country, not really a problem to villagers.

You don't NEED Internet and Tv to survive happily. Although I would miss ThaiVisa.

And your 14 posts a day? 555

Oh Tommo, when the end of the world comes nigh, we will resort to cannibalism...starting with you. I figure sitting around at the computer posting just makes the meat all nice and tender....hmmmmmmm....yummmy.

:D

• Like 1

Jesus !! From reading the posts it seems something is going to happen for sure..

I had my paranoia moments 2 years ago, after reading nearly all of the " doomsday sites ", and checking those who sell survival kits as well.

Yes, it seems the Poles have shifted a few times already in the past, scary thought blink.png

After sharing my paranoia with a few very tolerant friends, i was carefree again.

Whatever will be will be coffee1.gif

i was a boy scout once until i nearly died during my first field camp while others are pretty much enjoying themselves. im not living a luxury life, but i guess im pretty spoiled by comfort. i think i would just die, seriously

That's because you're not a SEAL, SAS, Marine, Green Beret . . . or all of them rolled into one like some of the legends here. More Rambos than ex-posties in Thailand, didn't you know

My solution is going back to nature and downgrade everything luxury i was used to in the west. What i am preparing to do is living from the land and living in a real Thai country house. I am practising farming and learning the language. I love to go back to basics. So whenever a mayor disaster comes along i have acquired skills the build a house or live without electricity and on rainwater only. I learn so much from the Thai.

If the end of the world comes along, your Thai neighbours will kill you and take the food that you have grown and the land you are living on.

plays just as well without the slur.

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 2

I can understand the survivalists mentality, there is a lot of bad financial crap going on and plausible scenarios exist where the whole thing implodes. Personally I don't think it will go like that but can understand it. In that old book The Postman everything falls apart and the author has the survivalists being amoung the first lot to go down. They were seen by roving gangs as an ideal source of food and weapons, kind of makes sense so wouldn't be surprised if he was right.

It's a bit like medical insurance...if I can't be put back together for $1,000,000 then I don't want to be put back together. If we are talking some huge world wide catastrophe.... don't want to live like a cockroach so I can battle with the rest of the roaches.

I wonder what would be the general attitude toward non-Thai's if the social fabric did start to decay due to a food shortage,

Would it become us and them ? would there be a clear racial divide and attitude and one not necessarily positive ?

Not sure one white face in a small village, producing crops would matter to anyone.

But I can see that the many living in big cities with food shortages might be treated differently.

I agree with you totally, TommoPhysicist and I am preparing myself. There are many wild possibilities out there that once is forced to take into consideration or dismiss. Not only is peak oil an issue but the whole global realignment towards China, the collapse of the EU and the day when countries stop holding US dollars as their foreign reserves. Already Russia has offered to sell as much oil as China needs using the Yuan.. One day the dollar will tumble, and when it does we will see martial law in the US and as the 'leader of the free world' no longer espouses freedom, we will see a steady disintegration of democracy around the world.

If people think these worries are paranoia, they are simply not keeping themselves informed or only have a passing interest politics. What I would say, Tommo, is that in hard times, countries turn to fascism, xenophobia and nationalism sweep nations and woes are blamed on foreigners . Look at The Golden Dawn in Greece for just one example.

But what can we do? Your situation you've built for yourself so far is admirable. We done, I would feel very safe if I had such a homestead.

• Like 1

Not sure one white face in a small village, producing crops would matter to anyone.

But I can see that the many living in big cities with food shortages might be treated differently.

I agree with you totally, TommoPhysicist and I am preparing myself. There are many wild possibilities out there that once is forced to take into consideration or dismiss. Not only is peak oil an issue but the whole global realignment towards China, the collapse of the EU and the day when countries stop holding US dollars as their foreign reserves. Already Russia has offered to sell as much oil as China needs using the Yuan.. One day the dollar will tumble, and when it does we will see martial law in the US and as the 'leader of the free world' no longer espouses freedom, we will see a steady disintegration of democracy around the world.

If people think these worries are paranoia, they are simply not keeping themselves informed or only have a passing interest politics. What I would say, Tommo, is that in hard times, countries turn to fascism, xenophobia and nationalism sweep nations and woes are blamed on foreigners . Look at The Golden Dawn in Greece for just one example.

But what can we do? Your situation you've built for yourself so far is admirable. We done, I would feel very safe if I had such a homestead.

Empires come, empires go. Economic power ebbs and flows too. Why should it be so different for the US? The UK had the biggest empire that world has ever seen: the empire ended (sadly some of the cr@p mentality remains) but the UK hasn't crumbled into dust.

Change is inevitable. Live with it, folks. No panic. If the world did not have the survivalist crackpots, many of whom seem to lurk far out on the right wing of society, life would lose some of its rich variety.